What's new

Press Release Lionsgate Press Release: The Green Knight (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
09D83D42-7EFD-4210-8FB9-4FF7EC8AEB8C.jpeg
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
The bold new take on the 14th century medieval story of “Sir Gawain and the Green Knight”, comes home! The Green Knight arrives on 4K, Blu-ray™, DVD, and Digital October 12 from Lionsgate. From acclaimed writer-director David Lowery (Petes’ Dragons, Ain’t Them Bodies Saints, A Ghost Story), this fantasy re-telling of the classic 14th century medieval tale stars Academy Award® nominee Dev Patel (2017, Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role, Lion), Academy Award® winner Alicia Vikander (2016, Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role, The Danish Girl), Golden Globe® nominee Joel Edgerton (2017, Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama, Loving), Sarita Choudhury (TV’s “Blindspot,” “Jessica Jones,” “Little Fires Everywhere”), Sean Harris (The King, Mission: Impossible – Fallout, Tresspass Against Us), Kate Dickie (Prometheus, The Witch, Filth), and Ralph Iverson (The Witch, Brahms: The Boy II, TV’s “The Accidental Medium”). The Green Knight will be available on 4K + Blu-ray™ + Digital Combo , Blu-ray™ + DVD + Digital Combo, and Blu-ray™ for the suggested retail price of $42.99, $39.99, and $29.96, respectively.

OFFICIAL SYNOPSIS
An epic fantasy adventure, The Green Knight tells the story of Sir Gawain (Dev Patel),
King Arthur's reckless and headstrong nephew, who embarks on a daring quest to confront the eponymous Green Knight, a gigantic emerald-skinned stranger and tester of men. Gawain contends with ghosts, giants, thieves, and schemers in what becomes a deeper journey to define his character and prove his worth in the eyes of his family and kingdom.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Boldest of Blood and Wildest of Heart: Making The Green Knight
  • Practitioners of Magic: Visual Effects
  • Illuminating Technique: Title Design
  • Theatrical Trailer

CAST
Dev Patel Slumdog Millionaire, Lion, The Personal History of David Copperfield
Alicia Vikander Tomb Raider, Ex Machina, The Danish Girl
Joel Edgerton The King, Boy Erased, It Comes at Night
Sarita Choudhury TV’s “Blindspot,” “Jessica Jones,” “Little Fires Everywhere”
Sean Harris The King, Mission: Impossible – Fallout, Tresspass Against Us
Kate Dickie Prometheus, The Witch, Filth
Ralph Iverson The Witch, Brahms: The Boy II, TV’s “The Accidental Medium”

Trailer: https://youtu.be/9Pe4uOEJI4Y

PROGRAM INFORMATION
Year of Production:
Title Copyright: © 2021 Green Knight Productions, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Type: Theatrical Release
Rating: R for violence, some sexuality and graphic nudity
Genre: Fantasy, Adventure
Closed-Captioned: N/A
Subtitles: Spanish, English SDH
Feature Run Time: 132 minutes
4K Format: 2160p Ultra High Definition, 16x9 (1.85:1) Dolby Vision
Blu-ray Format: 1080p High Definition, 16x9 (2.39:1) Presentation
DVD Format: 16x9 2.40:1 Presentation
4K Audio: English Dolby Atmos, English Descriptive Audio
Blu-ray Audio: English Dolby Atmos
DVD Audio: English 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Green Knight will be available on 4K + Blu-ray™ + Digital Combo , Blu-ray™ + DVD + Digital Combo, and Blu-ray™ for the suggested retail price of $42.99, $39.99, and $29.96, respectively.​
Is this right?

There's going to be a Blu-ray+DVD combo edition and a Blu-ray single edition? That's unusual. You'd think they would instead provide the DVD on its own for any customers who want that option, but that's not what this says.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Well, good luck to anyone with a projector, thinking they will see anything from the 4K UHD! I saw this theatrically and it was like the projector lamp was failing. The darkest, gloomiest picture since Arrival. I enjoyed the exceptionally languid tone and editing - I was expecting the typical ADHD pace of modern productions - when I could actually see anything on the screen.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Mark VH

Second Unit
Absolutely tremendous film, and one I'm very much looking forward to revisiting. I like to think it's the kind of bold Arthurian epic Stanley Kubrick would have made.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Absolutely tremendous film, and one I'm very much looking forward to revisiting. I like to think it's the kind of bold Arthurian epic Stanley Kubrick would have made.

OMG. If that is not a winning endorsement for a “must watch” I don’t know what is.

Should I buy this film blindly?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I loved the movie and would not hesitate to recommend it. But I also know someone who didn't care for it at all. I think it is a movie that you are either going to love or hate with no middle ground. So it's hard to know on which side of that divide you will fall. Given that, I might advise a rental first

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
It does have some wonderful sequences, but for me, the film didn't live up to the critical hype. Also, as I wrote above, the film projected in a theatre was EXTREMELY dark. So you probably are going to have a hard time seeing the film projected from a UHD. I would side with Jake and advise renting it first.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
OMG. If that is not a winning endorsement for a “must watch” I don’t know what is.

It's almost an art house movie, Ron. It's a fantastic art house movie, but it's not your standard Hollywood fare.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's almost an art house movie, Ron.
No almost about it for me. It is an arthouse movie. The major chains played it too but I think that is more a reflection of the smaller amount of product being released right now than anything else. I saw it at my arthouse. It fits into their programming aesthetic more than that of a typical multiplex.

Mark VH

Second Unit

Depends. There's a LOT to chew on with this one, but there's also a ton of symbolism that some have found inscrutable. And it's slow. But it's drop-dead gorgeous, and I personally thought the narrative itself was fairly clear even if some of the elements didn't quite add up. I don't buy many films these days but this is one that I feel is going to take multiple rewatches to fully appreciate, so I'll probably pick it up.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

I'm quoting @JediFonger's post from the Movies forum discussion of The Green Knight over here in its press release thread just in case other people might check this thread first.

I was planning to get this on release day, but since we now know there is going to be a more elaborate edition next year, I might just wait. The image above comes from a Reddit AMA with the film's writer/director, David Lowery. So I think his word that there will be a better edition is trustworthy. He would obviously know.

Edit: I went and looked at A24's official store on their website and saw some of their other special edition Blu-rays. They look nice but they cost $50 each shipped. I really enjoyed The Green Knight but I don't think I have ever spent $50 on a single movie. I would like to hear Lowery's commentary, but if he is talking about an edition like that, I'm probably just going to settle for the standard release and call it a day. The only time I've ever paid $50 for a single release was the Before Trilogy, which was a Criterion and had three movies in it. So I've now talked myself back around into reinstating the pre-order I had cancelled for the basic release.

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I streamed this on Prime to my OLED, it certainly gives your display a workout. Film looks amazing and I wished I liked it more. However, it is tedious with a complete lack of action (misrepresented by the trailer), and as I won't watch it again I shall pass on the 4k. It kept reminding me of The Seventh Seal, knight on a quest I suppose.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I streamed this on Prime to my OLED, it certainly gives your display a workout. Film looks amazing and I wished I liked it more. However, it is tedious with a complete lack of action (misrepresented by the trailer), and as I won't watch it again I shall pass on the 4k. It kept reminding me of The Seventh Seal, knight on a quest I suppose.
Well, I almost bought the 4K from Amazon that looks like a Steelbook for $24.96. I'll pass on this for now and hope for a lower price next month during Holiday sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks