What's new

The Green Hornet TV series (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
The Batman 1966 tv series thread has been active and makes me think that Green Hornet has same issues. It would be cool if Batman and Green Hornet could both be released. I remember watching green hornet in re-runs in the 1970sand seen little of the show since then.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A pay cable channel (Encore?) was showing them about 18 months ago, and I managed to watch every one of them again after many decades away from them. I would love to have them in a box set.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
younger1968 said:
i remember watching a few episodes when i was a kid on YTV. It has been over 30 years since i have seen an episodes. It is too bad spacecast.ca in canada does not create a classic space channel, so shows like the following could aired:
1. Kolchak (1970s)
2. Outerlimits (1960s)
3. Star Trek (1960s)
4. Voyage to the bottom of the Sea (1960s)
5. The invaders (1960s)
6. Time Tunnel (1960s)
7. Land of the Giants
8. Lost in Space
9. Space 1999
10. Thriller
11. Battlestar Galactica
12. Galactica 1980
Currently, spacecast airs stargate series along with a few of classic shows. I would love see the space channel to split out the old space shows.
SyFy or Chiller should be showing these, instead of those awful "original production" movies they keep churning out.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
MattH. said:
A pay cable channel (Encore?) was showing them about 18 months ago, and I managed to watch every one of them again after many decades away from them. I would love to have them in a box set.
Actually it was SyFy that showed them in HD. I recorded all of them, but they were severely edited and closing credits were all "scrunched" so they could run more promos for all their other shows.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Richard V said:
Actually it was SyFy that showed them in HD. I recorded all of them, but they were severely edited and closing credits were all "scrunched" so they could run more promos for all their other shows.
Cool! I tried to find the Green Hornet on tv websites, but have not had much luck. I know that one of the multimedia site has said that Green Hornet has the same issue as Batman and may never see the light of day. It is too bad that is the case there was a great opportunity when the movie came out to release the tv set, but the network decided against it. We all know how long it took for the six million dollar man to come out, so there could be hope for other classic shows.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
younger1968 said:
Cool! I tried to find the Green Hornet on tv websites, but have not had much luck. I know that one of the multimedia site has said that Green Hornet has the same issue as Batman and may never see the light of day. It is too bad that is the case there was a great opportunity when the movie came out to release the tv set, but the network decided against it. We all know how long it took for the six million dollar man to come out, so there could be hope for other classic shows.
My theory has been that the major issue with Batman (the Dozier estate and Greenway Productions) was solved when Fox setttled the law suit a few years ago. If I am right, it may have also been solved for the Green Hornet. However, Fox does not own the rights to the Green Hornet character so that raises other questions like, even if they licensed the rights for the Green Hornet to appear in the Batman cross over episodes, would they do so (and presumably pay more) for the Green Hornet series? As the Green Hornet series does not have the popularity of Batman (many people have never seen it; I cought some the recent SyFy showing, but it was the first time I had seen it), is there enough demand for Fox to release it or would they allow someone else to release it with a reasonable license fee? We'll just have to stay tuned for the answers.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
JoeDoakes said:
My theory has been that the major issue with Batman (the Dozier estate and Greenway Productions) was solved when Fox setttled the law suit a few years ago. If I am right, it may have also been solved for the Green Hornet. However, Fox does not own the rights to the Green Hornet character so that raises other questions like, even if they licensed the rights for the Green Hornet to appear in the Batman cross over episodes, would they do so (and presumably pay more) for the Green Hornet series? As the Green Hornet series does not have the popularity of Batman (many people have never seen it; I cought some the recent SyFy showing, but it was the first time I had seen it), is there enough demand for Fox to release it or would they allow someone else to release it with a reasonable license fee? We'll just have to stay tuned for the answers.
Ray,
The studios have missed the boat on both Batman and Green Hornet. Dark Night and the Green Hornet movie came out the past few years and it would have been a great opportunity to release the sets to take advantage of the movie release. However, FOX for what reason that appears to be kept to themselves has decided that home dvd market is not their focus anymore. It could be a license issue as many social media says that likelihood of seeing Batman and Green Hornet is slim to none. If all parties could check their ego at the door and think of the consumer then we may see something happen. Maybe this is good time to boycott fox and/WB tv shows and movies to express are distaste on not delivering more dvds, especially FOX. Maybe it is time to hurt FOX where it counts in their pocket book!!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
younger1968 said:
Ray,
The studios have missed the boat on both Batman and Green Hornet. Dark Night and the Green Hornet movie came out the past few years and it would have been a great opportunity to release the sets to take advantage of the movie release. However, FOX for what reason that appears to be kept to themselves has decided that home dvd market is not their focus anymore. It could be a license issue as many social media says that likelihood of seeing Batman and Green Hornet is slim to none. If all parties could check their ego at the door and think of the consumer then we may see something happen. Maybe this is good time to boycott fox and/WB tv shows and movies to express are distaste on not delivering more dvds, especially FOX. Maybe it is time to hurt FOX where it counts in their pocket book!!
I agree with you about the Green Hornet; the best time to release the series would have been in conjunction with the Sony film. I even read that the actor who played the GH on TV made some personal appearances to promote the character and the film at the request of Sony. Unlike with the GH, a large number of people remember the Batman show from syndication, and the Batman character has wide recognition. There is even another Bale Batman film coming out this summer. For reasons I outline in the Batman 1966 thread, I see indications Batman may be coming out. I have no inside knowledge and I may be wrong. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks