What's new

Recent Blue Ray news opinions? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Well, despite the pandemic; it seems like the tv while will be getting some Blue Ray releases this Christmas season: Bugs Bunny's 80th. The Flintstones, Buck Rogers, Superman Animated, and now Mission Impossible. In some ways that's impressive. But if there was a choice, I would have preferred the release of more tv series and seasons that have never come out on digital. Shows like
Ken Howard's Manhunter, My World and Welcome to It, Garrison's Gorillas, Green Hornet, and others that need to be reintroduced to the world.

What do you think? What other blue rays do you think might come out this holiday season? Or do you think that's about it?

--james

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wonder if Mission Impossible isn't a ViacomCBS test balloon being floated to see if there's support for no frills, all-in-one Blu sets for these shows they already have remastered and can make them some disc money as opposed to no money sitting in vaults. Cheers, Lucy, Andy, MacGyver, Charmed... with the exception of Cheers, all appeared on Blu and failed because of single season releases for overinflated prices. But with MI, that excuse doesn't fly. No single release, and the price is more than fair for 7 seasons. So if it doesn't sell, the market isn't there, but if it does, well... why not do more?

I hope that's what happens... sales for MI, and more classic releases from the new ViacomCBS.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
The market is there but not at those prices.
I think they'd do better with a known long-run series that hasn't been released at all. I'd say St. Elsewhere, but that's with another company. (You listening, Disney?) Paramount must have something that qualifies.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I wonder if Mission Impossible isn't a ViacomCBS test balloon being floated to see if there's support for no frills, all-in-one Blu sets for these shows they already have remastered and can make them some disc money as opposed to no money sitting in vaults. Cheers, Lucy, Andy, MacGyver, Charmed... with the exception of Cheers, all appeared on Blu and failed because of single season releases for overinflated prices. But with MI, that excuse doesn't fly. No single release, and the price is more than fair for 7 seasons. So if it doesn't sell, the market isn't there, but if it does, well... why not do more?

I would agree.

Other than releasing generic current shows (ie. NCIS, etc ...), ViacomCBS doesn't appear to be releasing much of anything new/recent. (IIRC, ViacomCBS' last few "big releases" was stuff like Sonic The Hedgehog, Gunsmoke complete series, etc ...).

Might as well try something like an original MI complete series on bluray, if they're able to keep the costs structure manageable. A trial balloon to see if such a market exists for complete series bluray sets of older shows.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Only other reason I can think of for an MI complete series bluray set being released at this time, is there is probably an older executive making decisions in ViacomCBS' home video division, who possibly was a big fan of the original MI back in the day.

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
Only other reason I can think of for an MI complete series bluray set being released at this time, is there is probably an older executive making decisions in ViacomCBS' home video division, who possibly was a big fan of the original MI back in the day.

or with few movies being made and then screened in cinemas then new for streaming perhaps they are looking at alternative revenue channels

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE is likely a tie-in with the Tom Cruise movie series. It was already remastered - so why not throw it on some discs for the Christmas season?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks