What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (2 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Police, "Miss Gradenko" & "Murder By Numbers" - I own a copy of this album and have heard these two many times (I normally listen to albums at least 6-10 times before reducing them to "what I like" tracks). They've never registered as anything but background and did not make the cut for me. Of the two I like "Miss Gradenko" the best.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The Police - One of those groups that I've listened to over the years whenever they popped up on radio, but never felt compelled to purchase their material. (Perhaps the amount of airplay was sufficient to satiate my interest in the group?)

"Miss Gradenko" - This song didn't really engage me in terms of the vocals, sort of liked the instrumentation.

"Murder By Numbers" - I've heard this infrequently on the radio over the years and enjoy the lyrics. The unconventional subject matter probably helps hold my interest. Of the two songs posted, prefer this selection.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
A couple more British bands, featuring prominent guitar tracks...

The Stone Roses - "Love Spreads" :

Oasis - "Supersonic":

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Oasis, I love this different mix of Champagne Supernova. When the guitars really kick in, I think it sounds better than the 'real' version of the song. If I remember correctly, this was released on a deluxe version of (What's The Story) Morning Glory?.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Oasis, I love this different mix of Champagne Supernova. When the guitars really kick in, I think it sounds better than the 'real' version of the song. If I remember correctly, this was released on a deluxe version of (What's The Story) Morning Glory?.

Champagne Supernova is arguably one of the group's better songs. I just listened to the original version and the Lynch remix and I am fairly undecided on which I prefer. Generally speaking the associations I make with an original version of a song (or at least the first one that I repeatedly experience) tend to cement it as my preferred selection. The guitars feel a bit more aggressive on the Lynch version and I think they tinker a bit with Liam Gallagher's vocals. Great song, regardless of which one you choose, as far as I'm concerned.

- Walter.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Stone Roses, "Love Spreads" - I really liked this one. Don't think I've heard of this group before. I'd just about decided it was an instrumental when the vocals came in. I absolutely know I've heard at least one of the riffs in the open before - something from the 70s - can't place it yet though.

Oasis, "Supersonic" - I *have* heard Oasis before - I own a copy of the "Wonderwall" EP but couldn't tell you the name of any of the tracks and without pulling it for a listen couldn't tell you what song I purchased it for. Nothing about this one grabs me. It's another of those I'd not turn off if it came on the radio but nothing I'd purchase.

Oasis, "Champagne Supernova" - This one didn't grab me either. It's not bad, just rather nondescript.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The Stone Roses, "Love Spreads" - I really liked this one. Don't think I've heard of this group before. I'd just about decided it was an instrumental when the vocals came in. I absolutely know I've heard at least one of the riffs in the open before - something from the 70s - can't place it yet though.

While I cannot definitively place it, the guitar riffs on Love Spreads feel like something Jimmy Page would have played while he was a member of Led Zeppelin.

- Walter.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I absolutely love Sousa's marches and always looked forward to playing them in band. They are fun to play and can be challenging.
All right! Another one for the band guys. I share your sentiments for these classics and also played many during my school days. Heck, I even played Sousaphone for a semester!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Miss Gradenko
I've heard of this group but don't know that I've actually heard any of their work. This one isn't what I expected from them as I thought they were more of a hard rock type band. I find this song uninspired but still catchy enough to listen to.

Murder By Numbers
Nope. This one does nothing for me as it comes across almost as a chant set to unsuited musical track. It gets a little better towards the end but it's too late by then.

The Stone Roses - "Love Spreads" :
Now that's some bad ass guitar and drumming. They eventually started singing but didn't need to. The music in this case is much better without vocals getting in the way.

Oasis - Supersonic
Pretty much the same as above. The vocals are simply no match for the outstanding instrumentation.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

I didn't care for this one as it's quite long and also very loud and overpowering, with no cohesive theme.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Funny you say that because I'm a pretty firm believer in the idea that a pop song shouldn't be much longer than 3 minutes but this is a tune that I think works better running as (very) long as it does.
Interesting. I, too, felt it overstayed its welcome by at least a couple of minutes.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I mentioned him in my first post, and we just passed the anniversary of his death last year from complications related to COVID.

Not sure what to make of this one. It seemed more like a poem than a song most of the time but did veer the other way here and there. I kind of got the feeling you needed to know a little more about him to truly appreciate this performance. Kind of funny how the feather [or maybe piece of paper] landed on one of the guitarists shoulder Forest Gump style at around 2:32.

Max Taxable

Xenforo Addon Developer
Real Name
James
Greetings!

As a hobby I do audio enhancement and cleanup, and also have a loyal if underground, base of customers who I do this for, turning their vinyl into mp3.

The genre here is 60s country music. The artist is "The Ole Possum" George Jones also known as "No show" Jones. I've always loved his music particularly the audio production, and in fact his songs are among the ones I heard as a youth that inspired me to learn audio production which led to my life-long hobby. (But it was really the production of Elton John and the Beatles albums, that accelerated my course.)

Audio production was soooo good with the source material, there wasn't much for me to do outside of getting rid of the rumble pops and scratches common with these old records. But I DID put a little emphasis on the cool electric guitar solo that starts at the :48 second mark and also simulated stereo.

So I present "The Race Is On" which I had sort of forgotten over the decades, digitized from a monophonic 45rpm record. (Now stereoized). Sorry I don't have it as a video to embed, but I do have it hosted on my server which is 100 percent safe and friendly. Just click the link to enjoy.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
George Jones - "The Race Is On" - C&W isn't really my preferred genre, but there was no question about George Jones' talent and the guitar at 0:48 is kind of neat. (It almost sounded like someone striking a telephone guy-wire in spots, which I assume was the desired effect.)

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks