What's new

The Good The Bad and The Ugly Special Edition!? (1 Viewer)

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
Man, this movie really deserves it. I'd love to have the movie redone with a DTS track(unlikely wish), and the picture have a new transfer. I wish this would happen, but this is MGM were are talking about. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
MGM have been putting work into a new release of this for a long while - DVD Savant Glenn Erickson has mentioned the odd tidbit that he's been allowed to share a number of times over at his website. A longer cut was being restored, last I heard.

MGM were apparently keen on doing a soundtrack remix, but licensing issues with Ennio Morricone apparently prevented this, and I don't think it was as simple as MGM simply refusing to cough up the bucks. The little I heard about it sounded more complicated than that - apologies to anyone at MGM if I'm entirely misrepresenting things here.

I have no idea when it could be coming out. A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE also deserves a release from MGM, and I have my fingers crossed about that.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Apparently, it's being restored.
What?!?
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
An actual film restoration(so I can see it in cinemas), or a digital video restoration?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
DTS wouldn't really be a good choice for this film.

Actually, the mono track would be perfect, unless MGM was able to remix the entire audio from scratch or at least the separate stems.

StevenA

Second Unit
I love what MGM is doing these days, particularly in respect to getting wonderful and often obscure catolog titles released. They are one of the most improved studios in the business.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Yes, MGM is one of the most improved studios when it comes to DVD releases.

This is clearly a title that deserves a full restoration!

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
but this is MGM were are talking about
This isn't fair to MGM at all. I have been in the mood for old classics lately and most of what I stubble upon is from MGM, often at ridiculous prices: Yesterday I got The Apartment and two weeks ago it was A Bridge Too Far, for $9.99!!! There are many others like that.

--

Holadem

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think that addresses the context of the original post, which was about a restored SE. The minute MGM releases a restored SE of The Apartment, let me know.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
The latest issue of American Cinematographer indicates that MGM has spent a lot of time and effort cleaning up and fully restoring Charles Laughton's NIGHT OF THE HUNTER for all future theatrical and DVD releases. Things like this can happen, and I will say that MGM are much higher up my DVD studio list these days than Universal.

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
I read some months ago that Clint Eastwood has recorded new audio for several scenes that are being restored to the film. Though technically it's not a restoration, as these scenes were never included in the English language version but were in the Italian version, hence Eastwood had never dubbed them before.

I guess they're probably just the deleted scenes we saw on the DVD, but now they will be inserted properly into the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks