What's new

Pre-Order The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (50th Anniversary Special Edition) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
175359_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Thank you Ron for the link.
I have ordered and am looking forward to this new release.
I have no other Blu of this great movie to compare it to; so I await the release with great expectation.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Has it been confirmed that this is any better than the Fox release?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
In looking over the specs, we'll be getting new 4K transfers of both the U.S. theatrical and extended cuts as well as at least one brand new commentary track. So it certainly appears to be a true Anniversary Edition. I own the Deluxe Special Edition DVD box set as well as the most recent Blu, but will also be picking this up!

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I believe that Bruce is very much on the mark. I love this movie (its quite often a toss up between this, Blade Runner and Once Upon A Time The West as to which is my absolute favorite of all time), will go ahead and put into the preorder cart but will wait to pull the trigger. I was not happy with the color scheme on the most recent Blu (even though it may be more "accurate") as it just wasn't what I was used to with all of the previous incarnations that I have seen on the big screen, VHS, Laserdisc, DVD or Blu - everything else about that release was great!

Hopefully we'll see a UHD release someday which may well be the last incarnation I ever buy ... but who knows :)

Regards,

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The good news is that this release includes the U.S. theatrical cut.

Yes. I much prefer the theatrical release over the extended cut. However, I am also someone who prefers the older color scheme. I'll probably end up buying this regardless of the color scheme once the price drops, though, because it's one of my top two favorite spaghetti westerns.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
One of the reasons I'm holding on to the Special Edition DVD box set (in addition to all the swag) is the color timing on that transfer vs the Blu. But more often than not I end up viewing the flick on the Blu anyway, so it obviously doesn't bother me all that much. I have to say, though, that I was fortunate enough to have viewed this movie in a theater once and it did seem to me that the Special Edition DVD provides a more faithful rendering of the color timing (at least the way that I remember it).

For the record, I probably view this movie at least three times a year since guests to my theater invariably select it when they want to view a classic. (The fact that it's always prominently displayed on the shelf probably tilts the scales in it's direction ...)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm interested in reading reviews and what the new extras are.

I have the last set that was released on blu ray so I will hold out for a uhd release.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
You know, part of me wonders just how common the 1967 logo really was originally. I've come upon several old prints of 1967-1968 UA films, and yet they either had no logo, or a newer one (usually 1981 or 1982). Usually, everytime I find that logo, it was from either some of the current, or from way older TV prints of You Only Live Twice. It's been said that a flat version of this logo appeared on In the Heat of the Night, but I can't seem to confirm it.

This logo didn't last very long, as a year later, in 1968, it was replaced with the Blue Flower T. And virtually every UA film from that point on featured it, until 1981, when Transamerica and UA's relationship ended.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
You know, part of me wonders just how common the 1967 logo really was originally. I've come upon several old prints of 1967-1968 UA films, and yet they either had no logo, or a newer one (usually 1981 or 1982). Usually, everytime I find that logo, it was from either some of the current, or from way older TV prints of You Only Live Twice. It's been said that a flat version of this logo appeared on In the Heat of the Night, but I can't seem to confirm it.

This logo didn't last very long, as a year later, in 1968, it was replaced with the Blue Flower T. And virtually every UA film from that point on featured it, until 1981, when Transamerica and UA's relationship ended.

The '67 logo was on a vintage 35mm theatrical print of You Only Live Twice that I ran few years ago.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I liked that '67 logo. The first time I saw it was at the head of IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT. "That's different," I remember thinking to myself as I sat in the darkened theater with an added sense of anticipation. It's possible that the first time I saw THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY, it had that logo as well, but I saw that film so many times I can't be certain, though that circular logo was on the original posters for THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks