What's new

The Getaway Review/Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
IGN.com posted their getaway review. It sounds like this highly anticipated game turned out rather mediocre if one is to believe IGN.
Here's the summary

Presentation
A superb interface, an excellent story, great voice acting, and enough style for a fistful of games.

Graphics
While a few technical failings mar various parts of the game, for the most part it's a strong, realistic visual package.

Sound
Good sound design and a great soundtrack -- more complex surrounds would be the only substantial addition.

Gameplay
While the driving can be exhilarating and the shootouts exciting, numerous failings hurt the navigation system, aiming, and level design.

Lasting Appeal
Once the story is over, there's not much to go back to, but exploring the city could yield many happy hours.

OVERALL SCORE (not an average)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
As I said in the previous thread back when this was nearing UK release, the demo shows the controls to be absolutely horrible.

As long as you are prepared to put up with an almost MGS2 level of cutscenes that are unskippable, don't mind the Guy Ritchie-speak, get your head round the control system and expect an entirely linear experience, unlike the freeform wandering of a GTA game, there is some fun to be had.

Its just a pity that a game with such lofty aspirations should fail so much to reach them. Still, 10/10 for effort.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I definitely still want to play it but I think this one is going to get put into the "lone rental" category rather than the purchase category for me. The graphics look great and recreating that much of London is really cool but from the sounds of it it's not a game that is worth repeat playings. Too bad too as I was really hoping this would be the next must have title.

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator
I just played the demo last night (from the Official Playstation Magazine). It was pretty cool to watch, but not as fun to play. The driving is a blast, but a map would have helped tremendously. I had been wanting this game in excess of a year, now it seems I won't be getting it. :frowning:

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
One can only hope that some type of printed map is available with the game(though I suppose you could just use a map of that area of London). Still with as confusing as real life London can be to visitors(I once got lost a few blocks from my hotel. I hailed a cab and told him the address only for him to inform me it was a few blocks away. Still since I was tired I rode in the cab and left him a sizeable tip for being so honest) some type of built in map function seems like it will be sorely needed.

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator
Not a bad idea on the map, and maybe not seeing who you're following on on in-game map adds to the realism, but it does get frustrating.

After further thought, I may purchase it. I wasn't aware that it's $40, not $50. And I did enjoy the cut-scenes and little bit a driving I did in the demo. Maybe over the course of 20 hours (?) it'd get old; but depending on the length of the game there might be enough fun to get your money's worth.

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
Anyone else with the OPM demo find it awful short? If it weren't for leaning on walls to stop bleeding and those cutscenes the whole thing would last like 5 minutes.

Sean

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Sean, the quote in your signature sounds really familar but I can't quite place it. Is it from Donnie Darko by chance?

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Non-Londoners might not have noticed from the demo that a proper London A-Z is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard for getting around in this game, as nearly all the side-streets are missing. I was going to drive up and wave at CEX in Rathbone Place, or a friend's pub off Goodge Street, but they aren't there.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
As long as you are prepared to put up with an almost MGS2 level of cutscenes that are unskippable, don't mind the Guy Ritchie-speak, get your head round the control system and expect an entirely linear experience, unlike the freeform wandering of a GTA game, there is some fun to be had.
Unskippable cutscenes....GRRRRRRRRRRR!

paul h

Supporting Actor
I know they're already working on Getaway2 so hopefully they will learn from their mistakes and make part 2 a lot more enjoyable ... even so it sold 300,000 copies in the first few weeks of release here in the UK so from a sales point of view its done well.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
So, given that its an SCEE title, and so the PS2 license fee to Sony also counts as profit for them, can we say that it looks like this infamously delayed game looks to be at the very least breaking even, just from sales in the UK? Wow.

Howie A

Second Unit
The game has what seems to be a cool story.
While trying to play through the demo I was getting
so pissed at that horrific uncontrollable camera..

That is the games one HUGE downfall.
I played through the demo a few times
to really get a good feel for it.
Walking through the tight sections with
the crates I must have got hit a million times
because the camera was focused on something
other then the bad guys. (most of the time)
It did have that cool movie feel though.
Also the detail of the city is really tight, but
there is no feature just to cruise and sight see.
So whatever you see will be a blur in the mist of a chase..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks