What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought maybe someone working on the film uploaded the actual digital file.

That would be even stupider because WB should have a way of finding out who did it if that's the case. They wouldn't work in Hollywood again.

The turnaround time between theaters and legal home entertainment streaming options has never been shorter. I really don't understand why people would want to watch a bad pirated copy when the high quality official one will be easily available in such a short period of time. But maybe that's just me.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Saw the movie again on streaming last night. It was even better the second time around, and I was able to rope my daughter into watching it with me. A lot of the jokes landed even harder, and the goofiness worked for me. It baffles me that the movie is getting so much hate online. I appreciate if you didn't like it, but I can't see how it's the worst film ever made, which is how the memes are treating the movie.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I also enjoyed it a lot. I'm not sure I completely understood how the multiverse worked.

For example, seeing George Clooney at the end, what that meant? That Flash did not land in his own, right universe?

Again the multiverse logic not sure I got it. You can have infinite multiverses but ultimately somethings are the same in all of them? His mother has to die in all universes? Just doesn't make sense.

Also, I don't know, maybe not very nice to show that Supergirl couldn't defeat Zod but Superman could! :)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I also enjoyed it a lot. I'm not sure I completely understood how the multiverse worked.

For example, seeing George Clooney at the end, what that meant? That Flash did not land in his own, right universe?

After being told that he shouldn't make any changes, he still made a change. He was so focused on the idea that he couldn't prevent his mother's death, but still altered the past in order to get his father exonerated. He probably figured that since the results from that wouldn't affect anything until the present day -- his father was still arrested, charged, tried, and convicted for the murder of his wife, and therefore had still been in jail all this time -- but it was enough to get him exonerated in the present. Barry figured that this wouldn't affect anything else, but for whatever reason, it changed Batman.

Logic suggests that such a change shouldn't affect Bruce Wayne, but the same could be said about why Barry saving his mother caused Bruce Wayne to be Michael Keaton.

Again the multiverse logic not sure I got it. You can have infinite multiverses but ultimately somethings are the same in all of them? His mother has to die in all universes? Just doesn't make sense.

Ever watch Doctor Who? There are instances in which the Doctor can't fix things -- for example, saving anyone from the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius -- because they are what he calls "fixed points in time", incidents that for whatever reason can't be changed. This is the same thing. It might not make sense, but time travel never does.

Also, I don't know, maybe not very nice to show that Supergirl couldn't defeat Zod but Superman could! :) [/ISPOILER]

Yes, Superman defeated Zod, but not right away. Seems to me, that Superman had to fight Zod a lot longer than Supergirl did before he was able to defeat him.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson

As Michael Keaton's Bruce Wayne explained it, making a change creates a nexus point, so all events after and before will change. He illustrated that by crossing two strands of dry pasta. Changing the location of the tomatoes changed the outcome in the present but also changed the timestream leading up to the present. Barry could live with that alteration for having his dad go free.

It's an interesting way to prevent Barry from altering the timeline willy nilly

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
And, for what it’s worth,
that’s a big part of the reason for why there have been so many Aquaman 2 reshoots. When they were making The Flash and under the assumption that the DCEU was going to continue, the film ended with Keaton’s Batman stepping out of the car, with the idea being that from now on, Keaton would be replacing Affleck in future DCEU projects. Keaton then shot an appearance for Aquaman. The powers that be then decided not to end with a Batman switcheroo, so they reshot The Flash ending with Affleck and then reshot the Aquaman scenes with Batman with Affleck. And then the management change happened and the studio decided to end the DCEU, which inspired the Flash producers to give Clooney a cameo as Batman since it no longer matters that they’d never get Clooney for another film, but that left Aquaman 2 with the problem that neither Keaton nor Affleck was the DCEU’s Batman anymore, so they just reshot Aquaman scenes to remove Batman altogether. What a mess!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
And, for what it’s worth,
that’s a big part of the reason for why there have been so many Aquaman 2 reshoots. When they were making The Flash and under the assumption that the DCEU was going to continue, the film ended with Keaton’s Batman stepping out of the car, with the idea being that from now on, Keaton would be replacing Affleck in future DCEU projects. Keaton then shot an appearance for Aquaman. The powers that be then decided not to end with a Batman switcheroo, so they reshot The Flash ending with Affleck and then reshot the Aquaman scenes with Batman with Affleck. And then the management change happened and the studio decided to end the DCEU, which inspired the Flash producers to give Clooney a cameo as Batman since it no longer matters that they’d never get Clooney for another film, but that left Aquaman 2 with the problem that neither Keaton nor Affleck was the DCEU’s Batman anymore, so they just reshot Aquaman scenes to remove Batman altogether. What a mess!
Show me a studio that does this and I’ll show you a studio that doesn’t know what they’re doing.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Show me a studio that does this and I’ll show you a studio that doesn’t know what they’re doing.

I don’t disagree although for what little it’s worth, there were three entirely different groups of ownership and management from when this film was green lighted to when it was released. If the studio had the same ownership and management through the entire process it would never have unfolded in that way.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Apparently there was a Michael Keaton stand alone Batman film in mind before they decided to add him in The Flash. I would have much preferred that.

Also,
Does poor box office guarantee no future installments no matter what--
Dune is getting a second film and that wasn't profitable for WB was it?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Apparently there was a Michael Keaton stand alone Batman film in mind before they decided to add him in The Flash. I would have much preferred that.

Also,
Does poor box office guarantee no future installments no matter what--
Dune is getting a second film and that wasn't profitable for WB was it?
Poor box office + reboot of the universe.

Dune also got a lot of Oscar love. Flash is likely to get zero.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Dune also came out at a time when the pandemic was still depressing box office returns and at a time when the day-and-date HBO Max plan was in full force. As a result, the studio looked at more than simple box office gross when deciding on a sequel.

The Flash came out after pandemic restrictions were lifted and debuted exclusively in theaters, which means that box office is the only metric the studio has to look at.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
The best thing about "The Flash" (a movie that had a lot of good things in it) was Michael Keaton. He had about double the number of lines in "The Flash" than he did in both of his earlier Batman films, and the film was the better for it. I think a lot of people would have come out for a Keaton starring new Batman film. A pity.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’ll be watching again later on HBO and I expect I’ll have as much fun when I saw it at the movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks