What's new

The Event - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

Three episodes in, and The Event is much better than V, IMO,

Agreed. Even the best episode of 'V' isn't up to par with the worst episode of 'The Event' so far.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by joshEH

I'm still in. If they keep throwing in enough wild developments like what happened at the end of Episode 3 (the bodies from the plane crash waking up), then they will have me hooked for a good long while. And the FBI office-massacre was great.
And now Sean has an ally. I wonder what they are going to do about her? Also, the chief of staff wanted to bring Sean in - what is going to be his reaction to what happened at the FBI office?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I've decided I like it, on the strength of how the waking-up victims have really screwed the Intelligence people. The Intelligence people are now in an impossible situation where they've already lied and said the plan crashed in the jungle, meaning they'll either have to imprison or kill the 180+ innocent people. That's such a royal screw that I have to applaud the show now. Clap clap.

I found myself realizing though, that realistically, autopsies would have started, so at least a few survivors won't be able to wake up...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
TrekMovie had the ratings...though it seems like there's a typo in there.

• "I Haven’t Told You Everything" – 10.88M viewers / 3.6 A18-49 rating
  • "To Keep Us Safe" – 10.88M viewers (-17%) / 2.9 A18-49 rating (-19%)
  • "Protect Them from the Truth" – 7.56M viewers (-17%) / 2.4 A18-49 rating (-17%)

TrekMovie says "Losing 31% of your audience over the course of just three weeks (33% in the demo) does not bode well for future success."

But on the other hand, that's still 7x as many viewers as, say, Caprica.

I suspect that what "The Event" turns out to be depends on whether the show goes only 13 episodes or a full season.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's entertaining in a "24" kind of way. At least the show moves at a brisk pace, and any show with Taylor Cole airtime is fine by me.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Fastest hour on television right now. Every act break flies by. The nose bleeds reminded me of the men with the blue gloves on "Firefly". What does Sean possess that Vikki's boss wants?

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. I may have to try to recap just to keep myself straight.

I didn't think being after Sean was a focal point of the plot to kill the president or free the visitors, just a focal point of the show. Here's what I think happened...

This faction wants to fly a plane into the president to kill him. They need a pilot to cooperate in doing so. In order to get the pilot to cooperate, they killed his wife, kidnapped his younger daughter, then kidnapped his older daughter. The whole Sean ocean rescue and becoming friends, etc. was all just to keep tabs on the older daughter and then eventually kidnap her. Overkill? Probably, but that's what I think occurred. The loose end was the boyfriend. It looked like in their plot, they tried to make it appear that he was never on the cruise with the girlfriend, which is incredibly convoluted. It'd be much easier to just kill him (which we know they're capable of doing).

Anyway, I think they were going to kill him, but he ran off and somehow figured out why the kidnapping occurred (I can't remember if they showed this -- it's possible they did and I've forgotten). Then he boarded the plane and tried to stop the captain from doing the Presidential kill run, promising they could figure out another way to retrieve the girls. Before the plane could crash into the President, it went through a "man"made wormhole from Miami to Arizona. Sean escapes from the plane when the free faction of visitors does what they do to all the people on the plane, and he's been running since.

The only thing anyone wants from Sean is to silence him because he knows too much about what's going on, and he's spreading the information too far. He's a loose end. He's Marc Donovan (Marc Singer) from "V" -- the guy fighting against them when nobody else even suspects there's anything to fight.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't think so. I mean, yes, he is a loose end. But there's more to it than that. He has demonstrated a unique set of skills. He has the potential to be a serious threat or potent asset to all sides in whatever is unfolding. And kidnapping Leila doesn't make any sense unless they wanted Sean. If it was just about acquiring a pilot to fly a plane on a suicide mission to assassinate the president, they already had all of the leverage they needed as soon as they killed Buchanan's wife (to show they were serious) and kidnapped his younger daughter (to force his hand). Sean would have never started to piece anything together if they'd just left him and Leila alone on their cruise. And if it were just a matter of killing Sean, they could have managed that on the cruise ship. At least one of the players in this incredibly murky game has a specific interest in Sean Walker.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
We will, of course, see, but I can't think of a single skill Sean has that's out of the ordinary for a guy talented in his line of work (accounting for normal TV embellishment). Again, I think kidnapping Leila, within the confines of this show, was just a decision on their part to say, "We have your whole family, and they all will die if you don't cooperate." It takes a profound sense of desperation to do what dad was going to do (crash the plane, killing everyone on it, plus all the people at the president's news conference), and they wanted to pile on as much as possible without getting him to the point where he'd break and say, "Whatever." That's why they grabbed Leila. They let dad know they had her. They could have easily grabbed Sean at any point if they really wanted him.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

They could have easily grabbed Sean at any point if they really wanted him.
Vicki didn't think Sean would pose any difficulty. She has said this a few times - most recently in the last episode. They first thought that just disappearing his wife and having him stranded off the cruise ship would be enough. At some point they framed him. I still don't think we have many clues as to who this group of people are or what they really want now. They definitely want to clean up things after the airplane was displaced. And did they just want to kill the President via airplane or was there something more going on?

During the episode I thought that Sean was going to contact Vicki and tell him he knows about her son. I guess he'll play that card later.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Still enjoying the show, although I'm not sure about that ridiculous convoluted plan to get her to call Sean. Decide to crack open a beer in the dungeon and drop it...clean it up but leave a big piece...assume she hears the conversation to "take care of her"...assume she'll find the piece of glass and use it to bloody her hands and cut the rope...and escape just in time to knock down the hot broad and grab her gun with blanks...and shoot her....and run down the street where the cop (who apparently was the only one not in on the plan) happens to be driving...and as I'm typing this it seems even more ridiculous than I originally thought...

Couldn't they have just...ya know...told her to call Sean?

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by NeilO

Vicki didn't think Sean would pose any difficulty. She has said this a few times - most recently in the last episode. They first thought that just disappearing his wife and having him stranded off the cruise ship would be enough

I understand that, but it doesn't address what Adam and I were discussing. He believes there's currently a big focus on capturing Sean because there's something special about him. I'm saying that while that may prove true, that's not what the story has indicatfed so far. My position is if there was something special about Sean causing them to want to capture or kill him, they've had plenty of opportunity to do so before he ever boarded the plane. Heck, Vicki had him underwater diving -- an easy place for an "accident".

I think Sean's just a smart dedicated young man in love. Those attributes make him dangerous, so they want him out of the picture. He's a star of the show, but he was not the focus of the plot to kill the president, or any other plot.

I still don't think we have many clues as to who this group of people are or what they really want now. They definitely want to clean up things after the airplane was displaced. And did they just want to kill the President via airplane or was there something more going on?

I think a group was out to kill the president, but given this could be a long-running series, there could certainly be more to it. The visitors, however, were responsible for transporting the plane based on foreknowledge of the event before it occurred. I'll stop calling them visitors (especially given we have visitors on "V") as soon as I see a better name, but I don't know if they're alien, or from the future, or what. "Visitors" seems to cover all scenarios at this point.

During the episode I thought that Sean was going to contact Vicki and tell him he knows about her son. I guess he'll play that card later.

I half expected him to take the boy, because once he makes such a call, they know where the boy is and where Sean is. Then hell will rain down. Saying he knows about the boy might not do much good. She'd just place him deeper underground. The only way to truly use the boy as leverage is take him. Then you can make a call that says, "Hurt my g/f, I hurt your boy." Your move.

EDIT: Typos

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

I understand that, but it doesn't address what Adam and I were discussing. He believes there's currently a big focus on capturing Sean because there's something special about him. I'm saying that while that may prove true, that's not what the story has indicatfed so far. My position is if there was something special about Sean causing them to want to capture or kill him, they've had plenty of opportunity to do so before he ever boarded the plane. Heck, Vicki had him underwater diving -- an easy place for an "accident".

I think this group needs Sean to either do something or specifically not do something. Given the convoluted manner in which they reeled Sean in, I'm beginning to think they need him as a pawn more than an asset. In other words, perhaps it's important that they manipulate him without him knowing that they're manipulating him. Toward what purpose or what end, if any, I have no idea.

I think a group was out to kill the president, but given this could be a long-running series, there could certainly be more to it. The visitors, however, were responsible for transporting the planed based on foreknowledge of the event before it occurred. I'll still calling them visitors (especially given we have visitors on "V") as soon as I see a better name, but I don't know if they're alien, or from the future, or what. "Visitors" seems to cover all scenarios at this point.

I'm divided on the motivation of the group behind Vikki. On one hand, it's entirely possible that they actually were out to kill the president, either to stop him from revealing Sophia and the other detainees or for a completely different reason. On the other hand, the whole point of the hijacking might have been to force the sleeper agents to reveal themselves by teleporting the plane out of the path of the president.

I half expected him to take the boy, because once he makes such a call, they know where the boy is and where Sean is. Then hell will rain down. Saying he knows about the boy might not do much good. She'd just place him deeper underground. The only way to truly use the boy as leverage is take him. Then you can make a call that says, "Hurt my g/f, I hurt your boy." Your move.

I agree with Neil, I think he's saving the boy card for later. It would have been more effective if they'd gone ahead and kidnapped the boy, but the presence of the FBI agent made that impractical, and I also think it violates Sean's moral principles. The boy is an innocent, however nasty and and amoral his mother may be. As it is, knowing about the boy is a card that Sean can only play once. Like you say, as soon as Vikki knows her son is vulnerable, she'll just put him deeper underground. But there is something tremendously rattling about having the man you're hunting walk up to you, hold up a photo of the person you love more than anyone else in the world, and say: "You didn't think I knew about your son, but I do and I can get at him at any time. Here's a photo for proof." It provides Sean leverage for as long as it take Vikki to verify that her little boy is safe.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Wait, there's a younger daughter also kidnapped? Why haven't we seen or heard of her before? Or am I forgetting?

I agree that the plan to let the older daughter escape was more for the benefit of trying to make the audience impressed by the evil plot more than it was logical.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Oh that's right. She vanished from a doorway before the bad guys burst in. And we haven't seen her since.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I stopped watching this show after the 3rd episode for several reasons, but mainly because it is too political for my tastes. Some reviews have mentioned this as well and said they have many issues that mimic real life hot button topics today and it will not appeal to some. Well, I guess that's me since I don't want to be hit on the head with their political views. The other problems I have is I just plain find it dull and boring. It's not like this hasn't just been done and MUCH better in every aspect with shows like Lost and 24. Another problem I have is how dreadful the dialog and scripts are too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks