What's new

The End of The Disaster Film - Anthony Lane's Essay (1 Viewer)

Stephen_M

Agent
The best of the New Yorker film critics muses over last week's events and its link to movies we have seen and how - in his view - Hollywood should signal an end to the blockbuster disaster film:
http://www.newyorker.com/THE_CRITICS...URRENT_CINEMA/
The New Yorker.com site will only have the essay up for about a week but I feel it makes provacative points well worth digesting.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
So he's saying that because of how horrible last tuesday's event were, that we shouldn't have movies which buildings blow up anymore? That's silly.
He gives the fact that most people were using movies to compare what they were seeing to what happened. I think that is a good thing. It means that we haven't had such horrible things happening on a regular basis on these shores. I'd rather not have to look under my car for wires everytime I drive.
Do you know what I did this weekend? I went to see Rush Hour 2. This involved two exploding buildings. Did it bother me? Not really, because I can seperate fantasy from reality. I knew when the towers collaped that thousands of people just died. In the movie, I knew no one died making it.
I think "disaster" films will continue to be made. Will there be some anytime soon? Probably not, but there will be. There will always be real life disasters, and we will heal from it eventually.
Jason
------------------
My DVD Collection

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Now I hear the Episode 2 is getting a scene change. AI might remove the Twin Towers, how do they know that the Towers won't get rebuilt. Its getting ridiculous!
------------------
Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
http://apacure.org/

[Edited last by Norm on September 18, 2001 at 03:34 PM]
[Edited last by Norm on September 18, 2001 at 03:34 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks