What's new

The Eastside Kids Can Anyone Direct Me To The Best Quality? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
No not really at the time they took years trying to hobble some of the films together
But you'd think with all that work to assemble the films that they would go the extra mile and restore them as best they could, prior to release...?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
But you'd think with all that work to assemble the films that they would go the extra mile and restore them as best they could, prior to release...?
If you are referring to the Bowery Boys sets they did do quite a bit of work on the picture quality as well as searching for the best and most complete prints. They also provided correct OAR versions of the widescreen films 1954-1958. You have to remember these films were made by Monogram pictures a poverty row studio that didn't always use the best film stock and the films were not well preserved. I doubt we will ever see these films looking much better. Warner Archive never released any of the 22 East Side Kids movies.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
If you are referring to the Bowery Boys sets they did do quite a bit of work on the picture quality as well as searching for the best and most complete prints. They also provided correct OAR versions of the widescreen films 1954-1958. You have to remember these films were made by Monogram pictures a poverty row studio that didn't always use the best film stock and the films were not well preserved. I doubt we will ever see these films looking much better. Warner Archive never released any of the 22 East Side Kids movies.
Yes of course u are correct also the Bowery Boys were played on every indie station for decades they were so popular they played them for pure profit - they were probably owned by transamerica at the time. Too bad they were not taken better care of. I love both series although I am a bit fonder of The Eastside Kids

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I finally bought the last volume of the Bowery Boys, Volume 4 for a damn good price, under $30 new.

Glad I'll be able to see the last ones that were made in wide screen, like they were meant to be seen.
And TCM has been airing them again recently too! Would love to know if Warners does own any Eastside Kids at all ---

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I finally bought the last volume of the Bowery Boys, Volume 4 for a damn good price, under $30 new.

Glad I'll be able to see the last ones that were made in wide screen, like they were meant to be seen.
Enjoy those wide screen versions, I much prefer having these in full screen and wouldn't want to see them in any other way.

Those final 16 Bowery Boys movies, most of them are full screen airings I recorded from Chicago TV (WGN) in the 1980's. WGN's airings were sourced from 16mm prints.

Spy Chasers and Hot Shots are full screen airings I recorded from Turner Classic Movies about 10 years ago. After I recorded Spy Chasers, I had to re-edit it because the full screen print that TCM ran had the reels in the wrong sequence.

I have a 16mm film of Crashing Las Vegas which I had transferred to a DVD, and of course it's also in full screen.

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I have full screen versions of the 1954-58 Bowery Boys movies and I am glad I have these because I do not like wide screen.
I used to have those and they always bothered me for the 1954-1958 films because I knew full screen is not how these movies were made or originally seen. They were widescreen films. But I know some prefer to watch them how they grew up with them on TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks