What's new

The Eastside Kids Can Anyone Direct Me To The Best Quality? (2 Viewers)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Yes that's correct, the TV's I have are the 4x3 type, I don't have a widescreen/16x9 TV.
If and when you get a 16x9 screen (at some point your 4x3 with die and be unreplaceable), you will be seeing the earlier, pre-widescreen era Bowery Boys films with black bars on either side of the image, however.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
If and when you get a 16x9 screen (at some point your 4x3 with die and be unreplaceable), you will be seeing the earlier, pre-widescreen era Bowery Boys films with black bars on either side of the image, however.
I have two 4x3 TV's in storage as back ups in the event I need them, so hopefully I won't have to break down and purchase a 16x9 set.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
just ordered this echo bridge did pretty good quality on the hopalong cassidy lunchbox sethttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XFZZA?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image
How is the quality of this dvd ? Are the versions here better then Critics choice and VCI ?

Anyone know the chances of any restorations being done for the East Side Kids 40-45 ? I'm surprised that Dead End (1937) is not out on a blu-ray .

Last edited:

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Having grown up watching the Eastside Kids/Bowery Boys here in NY on the old channel 5 on Sunday mornings and getting burned with a few terrible quality dvd's can anyone direct me to the best quality Eastside Kids dvd's? I have one dvd from VCI which offers Spooks Run Wild in the best print I have seen and also has Ghosts On The Loose which has good picture quality but a notable hiss but it was worth the price for Spooks Run Wild which is a guilty pleasure for sure. https://www.vcientertainment.com/product/east-side-kids-double-feature/
I have this , Its not really VCI ? Says Acme . Print is not bad but sometime when they talk it speeded up ,They sound like cartoon characters . Does TCM ever air these ? I noticed there on EPIX . Has anyone been able to see these ? I also found Dead End on Tubi in 720P , Looks good .

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I have this , Its not really VCI ? Says Acme . Print is not bad but sometime when they talk it speeded up ,They sound like cartoon characters . Does TCM ever air these ? I noticed there on EPIX . Has anyone been able to see these ? I also found Dead End on Tubi in 720P , Looks good .
It is VCI they tried making a lower price label for a while

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It is VCI they tried making a lower price label for a while
the outfit with the most ESK/BB titles is Alpha Video, and they are probably the Worse of the lot!! All they do is release the best on hand, and "pop and drop" just to get them out there!! They're all about getting them out there with no restoration or upgrades!! All about the $$$$

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
How is the quality of this dvd ? Are the versions here better then Critics choice and VCI ?

Anyone know the chances of any restorations being done for the East Side Kids 40-45 ? I'm surprised that Dead End (1937) is not out on a blu-ray .

the outfit with the most ESK/BB titles is Alpha Video, and they are probably the Worse of the lot!! All they do is release the best on hand, and "pop and drop" just to get them out there!! They're all about getting them out there with no restoration or upgrades!! All about the $$$$
Interestingly I would think Warners might actually own some of the Eastside Kids too as they own some Monograms, I think Disney owns one of them too. I really wonder if any negs exist on the Eastside Kids - Channel 5 in NYC aired the Eastside Kids and Bowery Boys and I think at the time they were owned by Transamerica/UA which Warner later got when Turner bought MGM then Turner sold out to Waners?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Interestingly I would think Warners might actually own some of the Eastside Kids too as they own some Monograms, I think Disney owns one of them too. I really wonder if any negs exist on the Eastside Kids - Channel 5 in NYC aired the Eastside Kids and Bowery Boys and I think at the time they were owned by Transamerica/UA which Warner later got when Turner bought MGM then Turner sold out to Waners?
it's Hercules all over again!!! :)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Having grown up watching the Eastside Kids/Bowery Boys here in NY on the old channel 5 on Sunday mornings and getting burned with a few terrible quality dvd's can anyone direct me to the best quality Eastside Kids dvd's? I have one dvd from VCI which offers Spooks Run Wild in the best print I have seen and also has Ghosts On The Loose which has good picture quality but a notable hiss but it was worth the price for Spooks Run Wild which is a guilty pleasure for sure. https://www.vcientertainment.com/product/east-side-kids-double-feature/
And the earlier Esatside/Dead Ene Kids set...it looks soso -

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Which dvd set is that ? How are the Critics choice dvd ?
All are on DVD only, I would love to see a compairison of the box sets I'd assume the best would come from the Warner Achives??
Here is a story on Leo Gorcey -

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
From what I've been able to surmise, WBA has done little to nada in the 4 volume set. many buyers commenting on the vairying quality of the films even with in the sets themselves?? I know for a fact that Alph Video does nothing to restore or alture the image quality to their titles.
But still, of all of the offings out there, WBA seems to be your best bet, for now...and don't hold your breath on any BRD editiond!!!

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I have all 22 East Side Kids movies, the Bowery Boys series is a little better but most of the East Side Kids films still hold up pretty well.

One of my favorite East Side Kids entries is "Follow The Leader". Good story, and Leo Gorcey's performance as leader of the gang is quite good also. A convincing performance.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I have all 22 East Side Kids movies, the Bowery Boys series is a little better but most of the East Side Kids films still hold up pretty well.

One of my favorite East Side Kids entries is "Follow The Leader". Good story, and Leo Gorcey's performance as leader of the gang is quite good also. A convincing performance.
Agree --- both series hold up well I love the Eastside Kids and most of the Bowery Boys - got a bit tiresome when everything always happened to Sach felt bad for other two or three bit boys

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Agree --- both series hold up well I love the Eastside Kids and most of the Bowery Boys - got a bit tiresome when everything always happened to Sach felt bad for other two or three bit boys
I think there were forces in play from the studio to make Gorcey and Hall anyother Comedy Team, like Laurel and Hardy or Martin and Lewis!!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I think there were forces in play from the studio to make Gorcey and Hall anyother Comedy Team, like Laurel and Hardy or Martin and Lewis!!
They were the draw, Gorcey and his agent owned the series -- his agent had the same name as my family - always wondered if somewhere along the line we were related!

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I found this interesting , I searched for Ghosts on the loose with Xfinity and it brought up
Tubi (a bit high contrast but clear)
Prime (close to tubi but more compressed)
Pluto tv (worst picture)
Epix (have to pay)

Be interesting to see how the Tubi stream compares to the Echobride/platinum,VCI/Acme,Critics Choice dvd .

Geez would someone like Warner Archive or Kino put these movies out before were all dead ....

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I got this set and the quality is decent on most of them

Thanks, seeing an thread about the
I found this interesting , I searched for Ghosts on the loose with Xfinity and it brought up
Tubi (a bit high contrast but clear)
Prime (close to tubi but more compressed)
Pluto tv (worst picture)
Epix (have to pay)

Be interesting to see how the Tubi stream compares to the Echobride/platinum,VCI/Acme,Critics Choice dvd .

Geez would someone like Warner Archive or Kino put these movies out before were all dead ....
WBA DID but some out on DVD...the problem is they didn't do any restoation to any of them...and they have all the original elements to work with!!!

Attachments

• 71NNBtstXIL._SL1000_.jpg
    71NNBtstXIL._SL1000_.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 51

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks