What's new

The Eastside Kids Can Anyone Direct Me To The Best Quality? (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Having grown up watching the Eastside Kids/Bowery Boys here in NY on the old channel 5 on Sunday mornings and getting burned with a few terrible quality dvd's can anyone direct me to the best quality Eastside Kids dvd's? I have one dvd from VCI which offers Spooks Run Wild in the best print I have seen and also has Ghosts On The Loose which has good picture quality but a notable hiss but it was worth the price for Spooks Run Wild which is a guilty pleasure for sure. https://www.vcientertainment.com/product/east-side-kids-double-feature/

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I have all 22 East Side Kids movies and all 48 Bowery Boys movies. They are from various sources, many are recorded from TV. Back in the 1980's, I recorded some East Side Kids and many Bowery Boys movies from WGN TV Chicago, I still have these recordings. I believe WGN's airings of the movies were sourced from 16mm prints which have that cool nostalgic look to them.

I agree about Spooks Run Wild from VCI, it's a sharp looking print. I recorded Ghosts On The Loose from WGN, 16mm print, runs about 64 minutes. Clancy Street Boys, Follow The Leader, and Docks Of New York I also recorded from WGN.

When Warners issued the Bowery Boys movies on DVD, they did a terrible thing and put the later entries of the series, starting with Paris Playboys I believe, in widescreen format on the DVD's. Thankfully, all my Bowery Boys movies are in fullscreen format, including those later entries. I absolutely hate widescreen. When I watch old movies like this I want to have a fullscreen picture.

I have a 16mm film of Leo Gorcey's last Bowery Boys movie, Crashing Las Vegas. I had the film transferred on to a DVD a few years ago and it looks and sounds great.

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
A few years ago, a sharp looking print of Bowery Blitzkrieg came out on DVD, run time about 63 minutes. I think the name of the company that issued it is A 2 Z DVD, something like that, but I imagine it's likely the DVD is now discontinued and no longer in print.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
A few years ago, a sharp looking print of Bowery Blitzkrieg came out on DVD, run time about 63 minutes. I think the name of the company that issued it is A 2 Z DVD, something like that, but I imagine it's likely the DVD is now discontinued and no longer in print.
Still available! Thanks - I am going to order it!!!

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Still available! Thanks - I am going to order it!!!

That is awesome, glad you found it. It's a good quality print and I'm sure you will like it.

If you're looking for a good quality print of Million Dollar Kid, I recommend the DVD that was issued by Digiview Productions.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That is awesome, glad you found it. It's a good quality print and I'm sure you will like it.

If you're looking for a good quality print of Million Dollar Kid, I recommend the DVD that was issued by Digiview Productions.
Will order that one too! Any idea which copy of Let's Get Tough is the best? Wish all of them could be found in good prints! Thanks again!

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Will order that one too! Any idea which copy of Let's Get Tough is the best? Wish all of them could be found in good prints! Thanks again!
For a complete, 62 minute print of Let's Get Tough, I recommend the DVD from Critics Choice classic movie collection, East Side Kids double feature volume 4. The DVD has two movies, Mr. Wise Guy and Let's Get Tough.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
For a complete, 62 minute print of Let's Get Tough, I recommend the DVD from Critics Choice classic movie collection, East Side Kids double feature volume 4. The DVD has two movies, Mr. Wise Guy and Let's Get Tough.
Great! Thank u so much! Will grab the disc too!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
You're welcome, glad to help you out.
just ordered this echo bridge did pretty good quality on the hopalong cassidy lunchbox sethttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XFZZA?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
I too used to watched them when I was younger, moreso in the seventies, IIRC.

When Warners issued the Bowery Boys movies on DVD, they did a terrible thing and put the later entries of the series, starting with Paris Playboys I believe, in widescreen format on the DVD's. Thankfully, all my Bowery Boys movies are in fullscreen format, including those later entries. I absolutely hate widescreen. When I watch old movies like this I want to have a fullscreen picture.

Is this preference due to nostalgia, or picture stretching?
I was thinking of purchasing the Warner collection.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee

Mostly because of the picture stretching, I just don't like watching anything formatted in widescreen.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Wish i knew of some good sources. I have those terrible Alpha dvds. I do have the Bela vci double feature which is definitely a step up from the Alpha dvds.
yep, Alpha or Ninas Discount Oldies does nothing to upgrade the titles, they just drop and pop out the door!! sad bacause thet do have quite the collection. All of the silent films and the classic serials, as well as the older tv shows!!

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul

Mostly because of the picture stretching, I just don't like watching anything formatted in widescreen.
Not stretched, but matted to widescreen, to correspond to the way they were projected theatrically at time of release.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Not stretched, but matted to widescreen, to correspond to the way they were projected theatrically at time of release.
This is understood but I refuse to watch those later Bowery Boys entries that are formatted in widescreen with those ugly black bars. How these were originally projected theatrically is of absolutely no importance to me and I always prefer a full screen picture. I am thankful that I have full screen versions of the later Bowery Boys entries starting with Paris Playboys and going forward.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
This is understood but I refuse to watch those later Bowery Boys entries that are formatted in widescreen with those ugly black bars. How these were originally projected theatrically is of absolutely no importance to me and I always prefer a full screen picture. I am thankful that I have full screen versions of the later Bowery Boys entries starting with Paris Playboys and going forward.
Right, I understand that. I just wanted to say that it wasn't actually stretching that was used to make the image widescreen - that's what you often see happening to 4:3 images posted to YouTube to fill the 16x9 frame, and also often in documentaries that use historical film footage. It distorts the shapes of objects - makes people short and squat, makes cars look like a giant has stepped on them, that sort of thing. That's the thing I can't stand to watch.

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

I'm guessing you're watching these on a 4x3 television as there shouldn't be visible bars (or only very tiny ones) on a 16x9 tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks