What's new

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Mike Frezon said:
And I've never seen the '38 version, Robert. So I've got some making up to do of my own.

The thing is, I think the '51 version is so close to perfection, I have always feared that I would find the '38 to pale next to it no matter how good it is. But I suppose that's not fair.
The 1938 version works best if it's the first version you were familiar with as a child. It's a warmer, fuzzier version of the tale, but a bit too truncated to be my favorite. And Reginald Owen is no Alistair Sim. Too bad Lionel Barrymore wasn't physically able to do it. It has its sentimental charm but it will pale next to the '51 version, if you're a fan of that one.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
I grew up with both… and at a very young age even juxtaposed certain scenes (for example I remember thinking that the entrance of the Ghost of the Future in the 1938 version -- with Scrooge laughing uproariously only to be transferred to a very scary terrain in mid-laugh -- was from the 1951 version)… but I did see the '38 version first; three weeks before my 6th birthday on Christmas Day of 1966 (earlier that season my father had read me Dickens' original novel). Two Christmases later I saw the 1951 version… and was hooked. For the next half-dozen years or so, both became holiday staples in my house.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
If you go into the 1938 version just looking for a cozy Christmas experience, and enjoy it for that, it will become one of your favorites. If you are looking at it critically, examining its faithfulness to the story, you are likely to be disappointed. It's probably my favorite version (followed by the Jim Carrey version), but it isn't the most faithful by a long shot.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
The '51 version is the standard I hold all others to, however I never expect any other version to be that good (I admit to my own unrealistic standards). I saw SCROOGE (musical) for the first time two Christmases ago and ended up really liking it (not a huge musical fan). I watched the GSC version at the same time, liked it too in many ways. Saw the Patrick Stewart version last season, didn't do much at all for me. Soon, I'll list my favorites, when my head is a little more clear and I'm willing to be in a more Xmassy mood.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Tony Bensley said:
Tony Bensley, on 13 Nov 2014 - 4:15 PM, said:
I know that posts such as these, are somewhat off topic, but I'm beginning to find the seemingly endless wait for my replacement disc a bit wearisome!

While I do know that at least the second order attempt did go through, the USPS tracking has remained unchanged since early Saturday morning when it "Arrived at Unit" in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

I just want to have this disc, ALREADY! This ridiculously cold (Especially for mid-November!) and snowy weather isn't doing anything for my spirits, either!

At least we don't live in Buffalo! What they've been slammed with (6 Feet of Snow and counting!) is just uneffing real!!

AARRGGHH!!!!
You can come watch it here in mild, overcast Vancouver whenever you like, Tony.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I saw the news tonight. I no longer am complaining about Chicago cold and snow. This weekend was when we got hit. Perfect as I have stated before. Tree up and out came White Christmas. I had 1938 in my hand but held off. I watched The Frost Men from Voyage and and the Ice planet from the original BSG instead.

About Christmas Carol 1938 and what Robert said. He is on to something. I was a kid and it was the very first film version I ever saw. This is why I love it so much perhaps. I sort of like the Patrick Stuart one. I just am a fan of his acting I guess.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Mark Collins said:
I saw the news tonight. I no longer am complaining about Chicago cold and snow. This weekend was when we got hit. Perfect as I have stated before. Tree up and out came White Christmas. I had 1938 in my hand but held off. I watched The Frost Men from Voyage and and the Ice planet from the original BSG instead.

About Christmas Carol 1938 and what Robert said. He is on to something. I was a kid and it was the very first film version I ever saw. This is why I love it so much perhaps. I sort of like the Patrick Stuart one. I just am a fan of his acting I guess.
I like the Patrick Stewart version too, but right there playing Cratchit is the man who I think might be a great Scrooge some day - Richard E. Grant.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Of every movie in my "Christmas Carol" collection, the 1999 Stewart version is my absolute least favorite. Something about the production design isn't to my liking.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Tony Bensley said:
Apart from the Emerald releases by Morningstar Entertainment, do you know whether any of the pre 2009 VCI DVD issues include the four missing words of dialogue "for reaching it out," as spoken by Ebenezer's "Former" Maid Mrs. Dilby, during the "Ghost of Christmas Future" sequence? This occurs at about the 1:09:30 mark of the 2009 - 2012 VCI editions!
Reading this thread I was intrigued to check out a TV broadcast of the film under the British title SCROOGE on one of the UK channels today. It was the Renown Pictures Digitally Remastered 2012 version, presumably the same as the R2 DVD released by Renown, and it does include Mrs Dilby's complete line, including those four words missing from other versions.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Douglas R said:
Reading this thread I was intrigued to check out a TV broadcast of the film under the British title SCROOGE on one of the UK channels today. It was the Renown Pictures Digitally Remastered 2012 version, presumably the same as the R2 DVD released by Renown, and it does include Mrs Dilby's complete line, including those four words missing from other versions.
Hi Doug!

If this is the case, then it would appear that the missing four words ("for reaching it out") of dialogue is due to some sort of "across the board" (Meaning all final transfers to DVD and Blu-Ray!) authoring error rather than audio that was already missing from the print that VCI referenced in their restoration efforts!

Bizarre, indeed!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well, it's been yet another week (It is now 3 weeks and counting!) that I have still NOT received my replacement DVD that contains the 1939 A CHRISTMAS CAROL Radio Broadcast and the Fred Guida Bio-Bibliography!

While I was hoping that there was an outside chance my original replacement order had been processed and shipped, the passage of time (Expected Delivery for Priority International orders is 6 - 10 business days, and 15 of those have already passed!) has sadly, borne out that possibility to be pretty much nil! For the order that I KNOW went out (Though there's been no new updates since last Saturday, which only adds to my already extreme annoyance!), it is now the 5th business day, though next week's U.S. Thanksgiving and quite possibly the severe weather that has seemingly plagued virtually all of America and Canada as of late, has to be factored in, as well!

At this rate, I might receive my replacement disc sometime in the New Year?

CHEERS!

Tony

P.S. To Dave Matychuk; much thanks are overdue for your kind offer to visit your abode, though I don't suspect that I'll ever be able to take you up on it. I do nevertheless, greatly appreciate the sentiment!

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
I also loved the George C Scott and Albert Finney version , but the Alistair Simm version is still the very best. Jim Carey's animated 3D version is also very good.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
71iPI4NkhWL._SL1050_.jpg

71dsqGJo0-L._SL1050_.jpg

A Blu-Ray from Spain! I wonder if it has Mrs. Dilber's line "para alcanzar hacia fuera"?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
One thing that strikes me when I view the front and back covers of this Spanish Blu-Ray, is that reading from the usual left to right, Michael Hordern (As Jacob Marley) is actually listed BEFORE Alastair Sim on the front cover! I also gather that, based on the 86 minute listing, this title is most certainly not affected by 4% speedup, though with the Blu-Ray format, I've also read that a "slow down" effect is sometimes experienced when playing European Blu-Ray discs on North American Players!

I for one, would be most interested in hearing about the quality level of this version by Cinema International Media!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just received an email update from USPS, informing me that my replacement disc is in Canada, having cleared customs just a little over an hour ago! Further checking at the Canada Post website indicates that it is in Mississauga, which is just outside Toronto, and only a few hours south of where we live. Thus, I should be receiving this sometime early next week!

Oh, Happy Days!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mike Frezon said:
Canada-imports11.jpeg

Tony Bensley: [grumpily] I don't deserve to be so happy.
[starts laughing uncontrollably again]
Tony Bensley: I can't help it!
Hi Mike!

I was trying to think of a line from the Film itself, but I guess I'm just not that clever past midnight! ;)

You nailed it perfectly!

Tony

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
davidmatychuk said:
Who loves the 1951 "A Christmas Carol" with Alastair Sim more than this Forum? NO Forum, that's who!
Yes, this is definitely the best version. I keep hoping that one year, they'll release a version that fixes all those annoying video jumps but I guess it won't be this year.

I used to watch the 1938 Owen version (I'm not sure which one I saw first) and it's the most similar looking one to the Sim version but it's inferior in every way. I have the Owen version on a 4 movie set but I haven't watched it yet. Maybe this year, as time allows.The earlier Seymour Hicks version is interesting but not something I watch every year.

The George Scott version is very good and is probably my second favorite, though when I watch it, I always get the impression I'm watching George Scott and not Ebenezer Scrooge.

I've only seen parts of the Patrick Stewart version. What I've seen didn't seem too convincing but I'd like to watch the whole thing once, just in case.

I had never seen the Finney version until it came out on Blu-ray a couple of years ago, and I didn't care for it at all. I have nothing against musicals but this didn't seem the type of movie that worked as one. Maybe it's because I didn't think any of the songs were very good. The "Thank You Very Much" parade at the end seemed way over the top to me. I ended up selling my copy after watching it for a second time last year.

Still haven't seen the recent Carrey version, though I'm kind of skeptical of Jim Carrey as Scrooge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks