What's new

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Oh. So then maybe Sarah isn't your new bestie...

:D

scrooge-small.gif

Sarah's loss! ;)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Tonight I went out to a local theatre and saw "The Man Who Invented Christmas". It was a wonderful treat, and really well done. I think that anyone in this group would love it, and I also think that you'd enjoy seeing it in a movie theatre before buying it on Blu-Ray in a few months, because if you're anything like me (and I do believe you are) you'll be watching "The Man Who Invented Christmas" for the rest of your life, so why not start now? Oh, read the book, too.
IMG_5280.JPG

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
We loved the film as well particularly being long time fans of the writings.

Scrooge 1970 for me holds many memories at its first screening in London back then and that massive line around the cinema to get in.
After that it will have to be the quaint full length version of Scrooge 1935 with Seymour Hicks which I watch regularly.One day we may get the whole thing on Blu-Ray

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I first saw the 1970 Scrooge at Radio City Music Hall, and on that huge screen, it was a very memorable experience especially during "See the Phantoms" when one came right at the camera. I thought I was going to jump out of my seat.

The first few times I saw SCROOGE (1970) were on TV. Although I immediately fell in love with it, I soon learned that the version that was most often shown on TV had been edited quite a bit to allow for commercials. The short scene you described was cut, along with a good chunk of the "Thank You Very Much" number and the "Scrooge in Hell" sequence. It wasn't until years later when I purchased the VHS that I finally got to see the film uncut. The "Scrooge in Hell" scene is... interesting. Sir Alec Guinness certainly seemed to relish the opportunity to chew every bit of scenery in sight. Even so, SCROOGE remains one of my favorite versions of the story. I'm a big fan of Leslie Briccusse's output. Sadly, he seems to be dismissed by many folks today even though Willy Wonka is a cultural touchstone and about the only good thing most people talk about in Doctor Doolittle is his music.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of A Christmas Carol. I can't claim to own as many filmed versions of it as David Matychuk, but I try and make it a point to watch any that I come across that I haven't seen. I'm going to skip the Barbie version, though. David, you're taking that one for the team.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree about Bricusse's score: it's filled with memorable tunes that I never tire of listening to.

In 2000, I got to play Bob Cratchit in a locally produced stage version of the film. Bob and his family had a number added I didn't much like, "Good Times" (not the title song from the TV series), but I adored doing this show as a dear, dear friend was playing Scrooge, and it was such a pleasure getting to work with him (we had long wanted to have scenes together; we had done the local version of Bent but weren't in any scenes together).

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I agree about Bricusse's score: it's filled with memorable tunes that I never tire of listening to.

In 2000, I got to play Bob Cratchit in a locally produced stage version of the film. Bob and his family had a number added I didn't much like, "Good Times" (not the title song from the TV series), but I adored doing this show as a dear, dear friend was playing Scrooge, and it was such a pleasure getting to work with him (we had long wanted to have scenes together; we had done the local version of Bent but weren't in any scenes together).

That's awesome. My degree is in Theatre, so I know how fulfilling it is to be able to share the stage with friends. I've always wanted to do the stage version, but it hasn't been done around my neck of the woods for a very long time.

Honestly, reading your post, I was giggling to myself imagining the Cratchit family gathered around the table and suddenly bursting into...

Good Times....
Any time you meet a payment
Good Times....
Any time you need a friend
:rock::drum::dance::banana:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I disliked the song "Good Times" so much (it was just too sing-songy for my taste and didn't match the rest of the score at all) that I often wished it WERE the other song by that name!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I disliked the song "Good Times" so much (it was just too sing-songy for my taste and didn't match the rest of the score at all) that I often wished it WERE the other song by that name!
Just for you, Matt! :laugh:

Good Times.
Any time you meet a payment.
Good Times.
Any time you need a friend.
Good Times.
Any time you're out from under.

Not getting hassled, not getting hustled.
Keepin' your head above water,
Making a wave when you can.

Temporary lay offs.
Good Times.
Easy credit rip offs.
Good Times.
Scratchin' and survivin'.
Good Times.
Hangin' in and jivin'*
Good Times.
Ain't we lucky we got 'em
Good Times.

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/goodtimeslyrics.html
https://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/goodtimeslyrics.html
CHEERS! :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Just for you, Matt! :laugh:

Good Times.
Any time you meet a payment.
Good Times.
Any time you need a friend.
Good Times.
Any time you're out from under.

Not getting hassled, not getting hustled.
Keepin' your head above water,
Making a wave when you can.

Temporary lay offs.
Good Times.
Easy credit rip offs.
Good Times.
Scratchin' and survivin'.
Good Times.
Hangin' in and jivin'*
Good Times.
Ain't we lucky we got 'em
Good Times.

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/goodtimeslyrics.html
I always loved THAT song. Really liked the show, too.

foxriver

Auditioning
Real Name
Brooke
I'd like to get back to the earliest part of this thread: what release of the 1951 A Christmas Carol (aka Scrooge) starring Alastair Sims is the best? DVD or blu ray? 2012 or other? I think my purist brother (sssh, it's going to be a Christmas gift) might prefer the uncolorized version, but my concern is not the missing 8 seconds of dialogue but the visual quality. He does have a blu ray player. Thanks in advance!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'd like to get back to the earliest part of this thread: what release of the 1951 A Christmas Carol (aka Scrooge) starring Alastair Sims is the best? DVD or blu ray? 2012 or other? I think my purist brother (sssh, it's going to be a Christmas gift) might prefer the uncolorized version, but my concern is not the missing 8 seconds of dialogue but the visual quality. He does have a blu ray player. Thanks in advance!
Visually, I believe it would be the 2011/2012 VCI Blu-ray releases. As I haven't viewed the 2015 Renown DVD, I can't speak for it's visual quality, but it's lack of availability in an HD format certainly hurts it in the screen resolution department!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks