What's new

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Another year without the restored BFI version on blu ray. Anyone remember if the missing dialogue is included in the version shown on TCM? I finally got TCM in HD through Fire TV after giving up hope that Verizon FIOS would ever provide it. Fire TV is great as you get both the East and West Coast feeds of TCM along with movies on demand . Hope Warner Media doesn't take this away when they start their own streaming service that you have to subscribe to.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Another year without the restored BFI version on blu ray. Anyone remember if the missing dialogue is included in the version shown on TCM? I finally got TCM in HD through Fire TV after giving up hope that Verizon FIOS would ever provide it. Fire TV is great as you get both the East and West Coast feeds of TCM along with movies on demand . Hope Warner Media doesn't take this away when they start their own streaming service that you have to subscribe to.
I've given up on that ever being released since the Renown spokesperson said a Blu-ray release would sell about 5 copies (huh?), or words to that effect! :(

The 2011/12 VCI Blu-rays will simply have to remain the most definitive HD versions of the '51 classic, for what it's worth!

CHEERS! :)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I've given up on that ever being released since the Renown spokesperson said a Blu-ray release would sell about 5 copies (huh?), or words to that effect! :(

The 2011/12 VCI Blu-rays will simply have to remain the most definitive HD versions of the '51 classic, for what it's worth!

Don't give up, Tony. I'm NEVER giving up. Specialty video companies like Cratchiterion, TinyTim Time, Scrooge! Factory, and Fezziwig Lorber take note!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
There is no license per se, as this film is in the public domain. Access to specific film stock may be another matter, however.

Are you sure? VCI is the only company that has released it in the US. Were it public domain, I would think we'd see countless releases. Ideally, a corrected version would be released along with the animated film with Alstaire Sim.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Are you sure? VCI is the only company that has released it in the US. Were it public domain, I would think we'd see countless releases. Ideally, a corrected version would be released along with the animated film with Alstaire Sim.
As Tony noted, the film itself might be PD, but prints, masters, elements, are likely physically owned by specific parties. To use quality elements on any blu-ray release, someone would have to strike a deal with whoever owns the best source elements. If necessary, they would also have to pay HD restoration costs to have them made suitable for blu-ray replication. Many labels probably do not want to spend the necessary money to obtain and/or restore the necessary elements for a PD title.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
As Tony noted, the film itself might be PD, but prints, masters, elements, are likely physically owned by specific parties. To use quality elements on any blu-ray release, someone would have to strike a deal with whoever owns the best source elements. If necessary, they would also have to pay HD restoration costs to have them made suitable for blu-ray replication. Many labels probably do not want to spend the necessary money to obtain and/or restore the necessary elements for a PD title.
For just one example, a company called Guillotine Films released a DVD of the Alastair Sim A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1951) back in the early 2000s. It wasn't a very good print of the film, but was complete, with all of the dialogue intact, as I recall. There was also the DVD and Blu-ray releases by Canadian based Emerald Films, also with complete dialogue, though the visuals, while better than the Guillotine Films disc, are still rough compared to the more recent VCI releases, which unfortunately, are missing a certain four words of dialogue on the non commentary tracks.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
As I have written on other threads there is no official public domain list. Anyone can release anything . It is up to the owner of the rights to protect their rights against someone who releases a property an owner has the rights to. If no one objects then the seller can go right on selling it. "It's A Wonderful Life" was on many cheap labels until Paramount asserted its rights and the cheap copies disappeared. If the 1951 version of "A Christmas Carol" were truly no longer protected by copyright anyone could copy the VCI blu ray or the BFI restored DVD and release it on their own label. It is not necessary to obtain the original negative to put out a less than perfect cheap DVD or blu ray.

On an unrelated/related topic there will probably be a change extending the US copyright protection soon as Mickey Mouse is scheduled to go into public domain in 5 years , the 95th anniversary of "Steamboat Willie."
Every previous time Mickey was soon to go into public domain the US law was changed. The power of Disney.
https://alj.artrepreneur.com/mickey-mouse-keeps-changing-copyright-law/

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Speaking of "A Christmas Carol" have any of you seen "The Man Who Invented Christmas" (2017) which is a film about Charles Dickens writer block struggles to write the book? I enjoyed the movie and after watching it on Amazon Prime, I bought the Blu-ray.

The_Man_Who_Invented_Christmas.png

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Speaking of "A Christmas Carol" have any of you seen "The Man Who Invented Christmas" (2017) which is a film about Charles Dickens writer block struggles to write the book? I enjoyed the movie and after watching it on Amazon Prime, I bought the Blu-ray.

I saw it last year and enjoyed it a lot as well. I thought Dan Stevens was great as Dickens, and Christopher Plummer was terrific as Scrooge. Almost 20 years ago I saw Plummer and Julie Andrews onstage in "A Royal Christmas", and Plummer read an excerpt from "A Christmas Carol". I always hoped he'd play Scrooge in a film or on TV.

I bought the Blu-ray earlier this year. I haven't watched it yet, but look forward to doing so in the coming weeks. And of course I'll have my annual viewing of the 1951 Alastair Sim version on Christmas Eve.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

Looks interesting. I need to make a note to watch it before my Prime membership expires in early December.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
There is no license per se, as this film is in the public domain. Access to specific film stock may be another matter, however.

The VCI Blu-ray lists Renown Film Productions, who made the film, as the copyright owners and states that copyright was renewed in 1979. The UK DVD SCROOGE is on the Renown label who will presumably have the best elements, which were restored by the BFI. It's just a pity that Renown have not made their version available on Blu-ray.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk

See post #727, since which I've watched the splendid Blu-Ray several times, and will again several times before December 25th. It is a modern classic, and the book it's based on illuminates where our modern Christmas came from like nothing else. And remember: books, and Blu-Rays of the movies based on them, make wonderful Christmas gifts!

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

Perhaps this isn't the correct section to be posting this but I see it's now $7.99 on Amazon. Don't know for how long.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
So, what's the story on the BFI 2K transfer/restoration from Renown? Is it region 1 or region free?

It's region free, according to this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scrooge-DVD-Alastair-Sim/dp/B015J2MQAU

Of course, PAL Formatted discs don't play on all North American based devices, and there is also the 4% PAL speedup to consider.

Amazon is incorrect on this one. I have this disc and it's locked.

Sadly, Renown have no desire to release this film (or any other, it seems) on Blu-ray. What a shame.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Amazon is incorrect on this one. I have this disc and it's locked.

Sadly, Renown have no desire to release this film (or any other, it seems) on Blu-ray. What a shame.
I thought you were besties with someone at Renown ;) ... I'm sure Arrow would love to license this if they could ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks