What's new

The D-Theater movie listings thread... (1 Viewer)

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Nature In Motion added from Wildernessvideo.com

New HD.Net/D-VHS section added and street date updates.

Troy

Blank tapes? Or a modification to use cheap tapes? ;)

Hey, so I'm having trouble finding 7 hour blank tapes. Anyone know of a place in the US? I've found them at a few online places but they are all listed as out of stock. Locally at my Frys Electronics I found some Panasonic and Mitsubishi 5 hour tapes.

Also, I've heard about an easy mod to my 30000U to make it record on any tape as if it was a D-VHS tape. Anyone know about this? I wouldn't normally even consider something that drastic, but seems like it might be necessary.

Thanks! :emoji_thumbsup:

Wookie Groomer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shawn
I have no source for blank tapes. The most logical thing to archive recorded transport streams is to capture it via firewire to a PC then convert it to WMV-HD to store on DVD-R.

I have no source for blank tapes. The most logical thing to archive recorded transport streams is to capture it via firewire to a PC then convert it to WMV-HD to store on DVD-R.
Well that's an interesting thought. Uh, but you loose resolution in the conversion process, and the bitrate on WMV HD is so low it's not really HD anymore (if you consider MPEG-2 part of the HD spec). Kinda like MP3s aren't as good as audio CDs.

Or you could just pop in a SVHS tape and hit the DVHS button.
Good call. I'm still learning about this deck. I remember reading about drilling holes in the tapes and cutting the little sensor button. I'd really like to find a 7 hour D-VHS tape.

And look, now I feel bad because I hijacked the thread. :frowning: I'll post elsewhere and let this thread get back to pre-recorded D-VHS movies.

Wookie Groomer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shawn
Aric,

So not true... but if you're not familiar with high def encodings for DVD-R I suppose I had no place mentioning it here. Most people archive the HD transport streams to WMV-HD keeping the full resolution intact. If you care to learn more there are hundreds of threads at the AVS forums about it. I would prefer a secure archival such as a DVD-R over hard disk or tape any day but hey, that's just me. :)

Wookie Groomer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shawn
For a second there I got excited till I saw the titles... :frowning:

Jurassic Park would be a nice title!

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
For a second there I got excited till I saw the titles... :frowning:
I certainly think that Red Dragon, Out of Sight and to a slightly lesser extent Meet the Parents are worthy titles.

I will probably also pick up 2 Fast 2 Furious because 1) I am a car nut 2) Video quality will be top notch 3) John Singleton directed this and added some style.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering why my order for Passion of the Christ was listed as "backordered" from Bestprices.com.

Hopefully it will be coming soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks