What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The COVID Vaccination Thread (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
While we seem to be behind most of the rest of the nation, AR has ~68% with at least one shot (~30% fully vaccinated).

Here's a site I found that shows the status nation wide:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here's an interesting article about post vaccination stress that can occur following the announcement last week that fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear masks at many indoor and outdoor locations:

I found myself feeling like this several times recently when my daughter wanted to take me to a restaurant for a birthday meal (I turned it down and we ordered in) and my son wanting to do the same (he lives across the state so that one was easy to turn down for now). My wife's wanting to have a "big family get together" on a favorite Aunt's birthday and I told her "Only if they've all been vaccinated" - she assured me that the older adults were (which I found surprising considering the beliefs of a few - but then those few have also *had* Covid and had a rough time with it so...). I'm still just a bit stressed over it happening - and it's not for almost 3 more weeks. The majority of shoppers in stores here stopped wearing masks when the governor lifted the mandate and that makes shopping somewhat uncomfortable and just a bit stressful... we're at ~60% with at least 1 shot so I really don't think I should feel this way but...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I would think the majority of people will have some form of PTSD. This virus locked down the world for over a year. I think the more odd behavior would be people who could instantly just “go back to normal as if nothing happened.” Don’t get me wrong, we will get there eventually, but we need to be patient and understanding with ourselves and each other. This was truly a once in a lifetime (hopefully) pandemic.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Here's an interesting article about post vaccination stress that can occur following the announcement last week that fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear masks at many indoor and outdoor locations:

I found myself feeling like this several times recently when my daughter wanted to take me to a restaurant for a birthday meal (I turned it down and we ordered in) and my son wanting to do the same (he lives across the state so that one was easy to turn down for now). My wife's wanting to have a "big family get together" on a favorite Aunt's birthday and I told her "Only if they've all been vaccinated" - she assured me that the older adults were (which I found surprising considering the beliefs of a few - but then those few have also *had* Covid and had a rough time with it so...). I'm still just a bit stressed over it happening - and it's not for almost 3 more weeks. The majority of shoppers in stores here stopped wearing masks when the governor lifted the mandate and that makes shopping somewhat uncomfortable and just a bit stressful... we're at ~60% with at least 1 shot so I really don't think I should feel this way but...
Given that your state is in the bottom 5, in terms of being partially vaccinated, I'd say your stress is fully warranted. Stay safe, my friend!

CHEERS! :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I would think the majority of people will have some form of PTSD. This virus locked down the world for over a year. I think the more odd behavior would be people who could instantly just “go back to normal as if nothing happened.” Don’t get me wrong, we will get there eventually, but we need to be patient and understanding with ourselves and each other. This was truly a once in a lifetime (hopefully) pandemic.
It's also going to cause some conflict in workplaces between people who return to the office and those who want to continue working from home. I know I've been back in my office for nearly a year, but there are still several in my department who are working from home and have expressed no interest in returning to the office until forced to do so.

Being in the office gives me access to certain systems that they cannot access from home, so I know I'm beginning to get rather resentful that I ALWAYS have to "cover" these things when a co-worker is out, when in the past we would rotate coverage. Not sure how much longer I'll be able to bite my tongue given that everyone in my department is now vaccinated.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
We just have to hope this happens before a variant emerges that makes the current vaccines worthless and puts everyone back in the danger zone, again necessitating lockdowns.
I think the reality of life now is that those who are willing to take action will be having boosters once or more per year for the foreseeable future.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
But some things will permanently change. Some things should change. In March I bought a new car. A couple weeks ago I got the notice that the title was complete and to call for registration. I waited about 30 minutes on hold, during which there were repeated messages to be patient and not get angry at the person who finally came on the phone. Once I got to someone, it took all of five minutes to complete the transaction. So I thought... that took 35 minutes and I was more or less at my leisure for 30 minutes of it. How long would it have taken if I had to go downtown to the County office, get a number, wait... and do the transaction in person? No doubt at least two hours.

This way is SO MUCH better. It should stay this way. Sure, some things probably are better in person, but most are just improved this way.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not many people have been wearing a mask in Walmart all this time so nothing has really changed there.
That would depend on where you live. In my city, even in WalMart it's been virtually 100% every time I've gone there. In the next town over, only 15 miles away, it's more like 50%.

Atari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward
I'm hoping a lot of the more boring meetings continue on Zoom/Teams going forward. Not everything needs to be in person.

Our state went with the no masks for vaccinated folks and the big box stores all said they would go along, so I dropped in today to see what was happening while I picked up the Rava Blu ray. Target had about 30% of people with no mask and Walmart was only about 10%. I actually expected the opposite, but it may mean the vaccination level is less for patrons of Walmart. It also could be that the news hasn't spread as much as it just came out on Monday. My low expectations of humanity just assumes most people will lie and just take off their masks.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I'm hoping a lot of the more boring meetings continue on Zoom/Teams going forward. Not everything needs to be in person.

Our state went with the no masks for vaccinated folks and the big box stores all said they would go along, so I dropped in today to see what was happening while I picked up the Rava Blu ray. Target had about 30% of people with no mask and Walmart was only about 10%. I actually expected the opposite, but it may mean the vaccination level is less for patrons of Walmart. It also could be that the news hasn't spread as much as it just came out on Monday. My low expectations of humanity just assumes most people will lie and just take off their masks.
I suspect that most people that haven't got vaccinated weren't wearing masks in the first place unless forced to.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

NH had lifted the mask mandate at the state level, but let cities and towns continue with their own mandate. Concord still has a mandate in place. Nonetheless, I'm seeing more people not wearing masks around town than before. Surprisingly, while I've seen a number of maskless people in Wally World, the vast bulk of customers there continue to wear the masks.

Earlier today, I had stopped at Best Buy to pick up a couple of new releases, and decided to pop into the Target next door, and there was a higher percentage of maskless people there than in Wally. And a lot of the people with masks were still leaving their nose uncovered. And some just had their mask down on their chin.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
San Diego County Dept of Public Health‘s goal is to fully vaccinate all 2.1 million residents age 12 and older. As of today, the County stands at just shy of 65% of that goal. :thumbsup:

Mark
I think that's the goal of the entire country, full vaccination, but unless you're going to tie people down and forcefully inject them, it won't happen.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I think that's the goal of the entire country, full vaccination, but unless you're going to tie people down and forcefully inject them, it won't happen.
True. But our County will likely reach 75% or more of that goal. In other areas it will be barely over 60%. Some lower than that.

Mark

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Update on my wife. About 2 am last night she got hit hard. Fever, aches, headache etc. this morning she was miserable. Tylenol really helped her head and she slept a lot during the day. She is up and around now and feeling better but not close to 100%.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Update on my wife. About 2 am last night she got hit hard. Fever, aches, headache etc. this morning she was miserable. Tylenol really helped her head and she slept a lot during the day. She is up and around now and feeling better but not close to 100%.
Glad she’s feeling better. Hopefully she’ll be close to 100% after 48 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks