What's new

The "Cool News from E3" thread (1 Viewer)

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
The Conker Game sounds cool with multiplayer support on Live, but why couldn't they come up with a new single player game? I don't want the same N64 version I played 2 years ago, come on Rare!
Yes that seems pretty weak! Microsoft coughed up $400 million for this company and one of their first Xbox offerings is essentially a port of another game? And it took them almost 2 years to do that! Maybe Nintendo letting them go wasn't as boneheaded a move as I thought.

Mark

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The 11 minute Snake Eater trailer is very impressive. It all takes place in the same environment. I can't tell whether the gameplay footage is cut-scene or actual gameplay, since most of the camera angles seeem too cinematic to allow practical control in a free roaming environment like a jungle.

Some impressive graphical touches, like hazy sunlight filtering down through the trees, the way the stalks and reeds bend as you walk or crawl through them.

Snake is essentially avoiding 'patrols' of guerrilla-esque troops. Hiding under logs, crawling through grass, and lastly, hanging from a tree branch and picking them off, one at a time (only to drop down and knock a guy unconscious). The colors are largely browns and faded greens, exactly like the first Metal Gear for the NES.

The dogs are back. :emoji_thumbsup:

There is repeated footage of the first person/gun view, which I assume is used freqently through the game.

The tagline 'eat to survive' with footage of snake gnawing on what looks like either a snake or a large fish, makes me wonder if there is going to be a 'hunger meter' in the game. Every so often, you have to hunt and kill prey to eat, or your energy gets depleted. (Just speculation.)

Most of the movie is just snake walking gingerly through jungle environemnts. Mostly, the camera gets him from the front as he walks toward the camera. Again, I wonder about the camera angles as they pertain to gamepay, because the angles here seemed, well, unplayable.

~joseph

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
It would have been a GOLDEN opportunity for a full-blown Conker adventure on the X-box. A lackluster game could ruin the chances for the character to blossom into a great franchise. I can't imagine that MS higher-ups are pleased with this.

On the other hand, I'm sure that Nintendo execs had quite a chuckle when they saw Rare's line-up.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine that MS higher-ups are pleased with this.
Why would they? Or did you miss the part where Rare is part of MICROSOFT GAME STUDIOS now? Its not as if Rare can just go about creating whatever game they like without approval (or funding for that matter) first Adam.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
MGS3:
I read somewhere that you indeed do need to hunt for food. But there's a Kojima-esque detail twist to all of that: Solid Snake likes some foods and dislikes others, so eating the ones he likes will give you more health.

But what's the game about!?!?!

I've been looking through the list of games at E3 (GameSpot has a HUGE list of every game at E3) and I'm impressed. This could be one of the best E3s ever, even if those Zelda and Mario games for GBA and GCN are a bit underwhelming.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Solid Snake likes some foods and dislikes others
I can see the merchandising tie-ins now! :laugh:
David Hayter/Snake voice: "I need to find a cold, refreshing Mountain Dew to quench my thirst."
"Only slim jim (tm) has the beefy nutrients to keep me going when the odds are against me..."

~j

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
If anything Nintendo executives should be worried about thier so far anemic (and with some exceptions) somewhat unimpressive Gamecube line-up at this years E3.
You said it, Romier. I'm a huge Nintendo fan and aside from Mario Kart Double Dash and Rogue Squadron III, the pickings are pretty slim. Also, Nintendo's immediate dismissal of new Sony portable PSP seems foolish. If I recall, the N64 had a pretty good grip on things until the PS1 came along.

So far, Castlevania, Doom 3, and GT4 have piqued my interest.

Romier, any inside info/impressions of the new PS2 Castlevania game? It looks pretty cool, but is it too Devil May Cry-ish?

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Question: Does E3 have a dedicated website? I've been checking gamespot.com gamers.com and the like, but I'd love to see a site with real time updates.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Rob,
you're incorrect. The PS1 was released well BEFORE the N64. The PSX was released in the Fall of 1995 and I think the N64 launched in late 96 or early 97.

Anyone see the Resident Evil 4 video on IGN Insider? My God that game is gonna be incredible. The graphics and new gameplay engine take the resident evil formula to another level( seeing the enemy with the meat hook going after Leon gave me chills).

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Oh man...just saw the doom 3 footage...yeah, yeah definitely gonna need a new pc...oh but its going to be so much fun!

http://news.gametab.com/torrents.php

If you want to check it out, you need to d/l bit torrent though. There is also a link on the home page to d/l the halo 2 trailer.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
If anything Nintendo executives should be worried about thier so far anemic (and with some exceptions) somewhat unimpressive Gamecube line-up at this years E3.
No argument here, I completely agree with that. I was hoping for a glimpse of Mario 128 or something else we hadn't heard about.

As for Rare, I guess I just expected bigger things then a Conker BFD port and 2 other low-profile games. Who wouldn't want to see just a glimpse of a new Perfect Dark or something else? I'd hoped they'd have more to show, that's all.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
First of all, the PSX did so well because of FF7. It was a BIG deal in Japan, so of course American gamers followed suit. Sony let developers by licenses to make/distribute games on the PSX very easily, so there was a wide range of titles, plus it wasn't that hard to develop for. Those are the reasons why the PSX beat the N64.

Second, keep in mind that it's only the first day of E3. If Nintendo wants to show something off that is really spectacular, they'd be smart to hold it to the last day.

Third, has everyone forgotting that they showed off a video of Metroid Prime?

Fourth, Harmonix is developing Karaoke Revolution for Konami. Now I love Frequency and Amplitude, but come on, Karaoke? It's not like you just press buttons, you actually have to sing using the SOCOM headset!

EDIT: Also, forgot to mention SEVEN SAMURAI IS IN COLOR!!!

Dave.A.C

Agent
So I guess you're not looking forward to Xbox Muxic Mixer, tehn, eh? It comes with a regular mic, if that sways you at all....

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Second, keep in mind that it's only the first day of E3. If Nintendo wants to show something off that is really spectacular, they'd be smart to hold it to the last day.
The time for holding back is LONG LONG LONG gone for Microsoft and Nintendo. Now is the time to throw you cards on the table. Entice consumers and really show the bevy of games and support that your console is getting.

Sony is the only company that can afford to "hold things back" until the last day. Even they came out with guns blasting this year.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I don't remember anything ever being held back at E3. The last few years it's all announced before the show (at least the general exhibits) has even started.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks