What's new

Blu-ray Review The Conversation Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I’ve had this film in my collection for a while, and haven’t gotten around to watching it. I’ve seen it once, years ago. I think I’ll check it out this weekend.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Here’s a cool fact about John Cazale- he appeared in 5 full-length films in his career, and all 5 films received Oscar nominations for best picture-
The Godfather
The Conversation
The Godfather Part 2
Dog Day Afternoon
The Deer Hunter

Cazale is definitely an underrated actor; but, if you're a fan of '70's cinema you will definitely know who he was. Sad that he died at the young age of 42. I have been meaning to watch the 2009 HBO?! documentary: I knew it was you: Rediscovering John Cazale, but it's difficult to get ahold of and/or stream.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Cazale is definitely an underrated actor; but, if you're a fan of '70's cinema you will definitely know who he was. Sad that he died at the young age of 42. I have been meaning to watch the 2009 HBO?! documentary: I knew it was you: Rediscovering John Cazale, but it's difficult to get ahold of and/or stream.
Have the dvd on my shelf and it's a good documentary on the actor.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The latest BluRay Of Dog Day Afternoon includes this documentary on a DVD. I bought this 2 disc set to get this documentary on Cazale- I still have to watch it.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
THE CONVERSATION was the “small” picture Coppola made in between the pair of behemoth Godfather pictures. That it can stand right up with that pair is testament to how much of a creative roll Coppola was at the time.
The story of surveillance tech Harry Caul (Gene Hackman) who's own life becomes a paranoid fever nightmare still resonates today. It was released during the Watergate scandal, but, Coppola says the real influence came from Antonioni's BLOW UP. Coppola couldn't have foreseen how much more our daily lives are recorded and monitored than even during that Nixonian era. What makes the film great apart from the tight direction and screenplay (also by Coppola) is the intensity of Hackman's performance. The conspiratorial feel forces the viewer to enter into Harry's paranoid. One feels as if they themselves are living it. It changes your perception of what is happening from scene to scene.
The supporting cast is impeccable including John Cazale, Terri Garr, Allen Garfield, Frederic Forrest, Cindy Williams and a young Harrison Ford. Bill Butler's cinematography feels suitably unglamorous, adding to the atmosphere*. Michael Small's score similarly fits the mood.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
There is news on the website The Digital Bits on a new 4K restoration of the film:

"Here’s something cool: Our friend James Mockoski, who just so happens to be the archivist and restoration supervisor for American Zoetrope, has just revealed on Twitter that he’s currently working on a new 4K restoration of Francis Ford Coppola’s The Conversation (1974) in honor of the film’s 50th anniversary this year. Industry sources tell us that the film will likely first appear on physical 4K UHD and Blu-ray from StudioCanal sometime in the first half of the year (street date TBA)".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks