The Bowie AU20 Rykodiscs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Harris, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Gary Harris

Gary Harris Stunt Coordinator

I've been seeing quite a few of the AU20 Bowie discs on Ebay over the last while. Some of these used have been going for over $100US. A brand new boxed set of eight of these went for $500US using the "Buy It Now" in a matter of a couple hours last night. I can see the regular Rykodiscs going higher then the remastered versions because of the bonus tracks. But honestly...for anyone that has one or more...is there much of a difference soundwise or is this just a collecting fad?

2. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Unlike Mobile Fidelity Gold CDs, Ryko's "AU20"s used the exact same masters as Ryko's aluminum ones, down to the bit. So there should not be any difference. It is a prestige item, nothing more.

3. Michael St. Clair

4. Gary Harris

Gary Harris Stunt Coordinator

Hey Michael, cool Carpenter quote & interview. Thanks for putting that on your sig.

5. Wilson W

Wilson W Agent

I have both the regular ryko and the AU20 (gold) version of several Bowie cds and there are sonic differences.

It may depend on the setup. But for me, the AU20 has better bass definition, and a fuller sound in general.

However, since the regular ryko version has pretty poor sound to begin with, that's not saying much.