What's new

THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Po (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm right there with you. Soon.... its gotta be soon...today? No...Next Week? Probably not but soon...
Tony Bensley said:
10 months and counting since THE BOWERY BOYS, VOL. 3 was issued..................

Still waiting for Volume 4.

SIGH! :mellow:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Randy Korstick said:
I'm right there with you. Soon.... its gotta be soon...today? No...Next Week? Probably not but soon...
Hi Randy!

My frustration is more financially based than anything else. This and one other item (Randy Skretvedt's LAUREL & HARDY: THE MAGIC BEHIND THE MOVIES THIRD EDITION.) are my two most anticipated releases that I'm trying to set aside funds for, neither of which have a set release date at the moment! I just don't want to find myself unable to buy either or, especially if my worst fears of them both being issued at the same time end up being realized!

CHEERS!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
rmw650 said:
Hoping they both get released soon Tony but hang in there as I think WB is still making sure they produce the best set possible with the Bowery Boys V4 collection, before they announce a release date.
Hi rmw650!

It's my understanding there are two Bowery Boys titles that have caused Warner considerable headache, and I do know the wait will be ultimately worth it. From my end, I'm considering going the Movies Unlimited Gift Certificate route, as they appear to have a very flexible set up with that! This way, I won't be able to use those funds for anything else and will be there for me to use when the set finally does get issued!

As for the Randy Skretvedt book, I fear that may take somewhat longer than I anticipated, so it may be better for me to aim for the final Bowery Boys Volume first, since the run of pressed discs is a limited one, and I definitely don't want to miss out on that!

CHEERS!

Tony

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Tony Bensley said:
Hi rmw650!

It's my understanding there are two Bowery Boys titles that have caused Warner considerable headache, and I do know the wait will be ultimately worth it. From my end, I'm considering going the Movies Unlimited Gift Certificate route, as they appear to have a very flexible set up with that! This way, I won't be able to use those funds for anything else and will be there for me to use when the set finally does get issued!

As for the Randy Skretvedt book, I fear that may take somewhat longer than I anticipated, so it may be better for me to aim for the final Bowery Boys Volume first, since the run of pressed discs is a limited one, and I definitely don't want to miss out on that!

CHEERS!

Tony
Tony,
Any idea when the Skreveldt book will be released? Is it scheduled for this year. I have an original hardcover copy from a long time ago ( late 1980s?). I will definitely get this updated version, but I'm wondering how much he can add since most of the participants have been dead quite a while .

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I have the 80's hard cover book as well. It is a great book.
LouA said:
Tony,
Any idea when the Skreveldt book will be released? Is it scheduled for this year. I have an original hardcover copy from a long time ago ( late 1980s?). I will definitely get this updated version, but I'm wondering how much he can add since most of the participants have been dead quite a while .

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Randy Korstick said:
I have the 80's hard cover book as well. It is a great book.
One of my favorites on L&H, my (sentimental) favorites being the 2 John McCabe books .

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I had to double check its actually the John McCabe book I have. The Films of the Bowery Boys by Brent Walker is another essential book.
LouA said:
One of my favorites on L&H, my (sentimental) favorites being the 2 John McCabe books .

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
LouA said:
Tony,
Not to derail the subject away from the Bowery Boys, but I just spoke with Randy Skretvedt this morning and he assures me that the book will be nearly three times larger than the first edition, closer in size to Brent Walker's book on the Sennett films. There will be a few more interviews, but much more credit information and backstory about the cast and crew.

Also, with nearly all the films now readily available from better source material, some of the films, particularly the Fox films, have been reassessed. For example, contrary to what's been written in the past in earlier books and in letters by Stan himself to John McCabe and others, THE BIG NOISE, the fifth of their six Fox films, is not the worst film L&H ever made. Watching them in chronological order shows that creative conditions actually improved as the years went on and the 20th Century-Fox films actually tended to get progressively better over time.

Randy's writing the final chapter as we speak.

Now, back to The Bowery Boys. I'm looking forward to completing my collection on DVD. I had seen very few of their films until TCM started running them a few years back and am now becoming a fan. Bring on Volume 4!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
LouA said:
Tony,
Tonight, Randy Skretvedt very kindly sent me a Facebook message, in which he stated in part; "We're aiming for a December release of the L&H book, so go ahead and save your money for the Bowery Boys Volume Four, so you can get pressed discs!"

There! With Randy's "magnaminously" kind assistance, I've managed to both provide an answer regarding his upcoming LAUREL & HARDY: THE MAGIC BEHIND THE MOVIES THIRD EDITION, and bring thIs HTF Thread back on topic!

CHEERS!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Tony , Thanks for the update. I'll be ordering both , the BB Vol. 4 , and Skreveldt's book. All
those years ago when I ordered the original hardcover, I believe I ordered right from Randy and paid by check. I guess now it will be Amazon!
BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if VOL.4 arrives around the same time.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
LouA said:
Tony , Thanks for the update. I'll be ordering both , the BB Vol. 4 , and Skreveldt's book. All
those years ago when I ordered the original hardcover, I believe I ordered right from Randy and paid by check. I guess now it will be Amazon!
BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if VOL.4 arrives around the same time.
Hi Lou!

Should that occur, it'll be a tough choice, but I'll have to go with purchasing the Bowery Boys set first and very reluctantly hold off on immediate purchase of Randy's Book! I didn't get the first three pressed disc sets, only to wind up going the DVD-R route for the final volume! As Mr. Skretvedt is also a Bowery Boys fan himself, I'm certain he'll understand.

Life is full of tough decisions!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Lou!

Should that occur, it'll be a tough choice, but I'll have to go with purchasing the Bowery Boys set first and very reluctantly hold off on immediate purchase of Randy's Book! I didn't get the first three pressed disc sets, only to wind up going the DVD-R route for the final volume! As Mr. Skretvedt is also a Bowery Boys fan himself, I'm certain he'll understand.

Life is full of tough decisions!

Tony
Hi Tony,
Looks like the wait is close to being over! You can get the BB Vol. 4 soon , and the L&H book later this winter. I think a lot of us BB fans were on edge waiting for this release and hoping that series wasn't stalled due to faulty masters.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
ahollis said:
It's coming. It's coming. And soon
This certainly puts to rest any "Minorly scrutiatin' societies" over THE BOWERY BOYS VOLUME 4 Set possibly being stalled!

Close inspection of key parts of the clip do show that MR. HEX and SPY CHASERS are included!

I'd say the 15 Trailers are just the tip of the iceberg, as these are all on just one of the discs! There could be Trailers of all 48 included, perhaps?

This is indeed, great news!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Tony Bensley said:
This certainly puts to rest any "Minorly scrutiatin' societies" over THE BOWERY BOYS VOLUME 4 Set possibly being stalled!Close inspection of key parts of the clip do show that MR. HEX and SPY CHASERS are included!I'd say the 15 Trailers are just the tip of the iceberg, as these are all on just one of the discs! There could be Trailers of all 48 included, perhaps?This is indeed, great news!CHEERS! :)
When I saw MR HEX listed on the front cover, I was ecstatic and happy.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Now for my slight downside: Assuming that this set is released in the next few weeks (I wouldn't be surprised if Warner issues this in the next week or two, since they've issued a Promo Clip!) it'll likely take me until the end of September to be able to place an order! Still, I'm really glad that it appears as though THE BOWERY BOYS, VOLUME 4 will be issued well ahead of the Christmas rush, and I should be able to get pressed discs, even if finances force me to wait a bit to pony up the dough-ray-me!

CHEERS!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
rmw650 said:
Tony, you've been waiting a long time for this and definitely I suggest you getting it as soon as possible to officially complete your set. Do you have Second Fiddle to a Steel Guitar? If not, here it is...http://www.amazon.com/Second-Fiddle-Steel-Guitar-Kitty/dp/B000M9BS50/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1408752527&sr=1-1&keywords=second+fiddle+to+a+steel+guitar
Hi rmw650!

Please believe me when I state that I won't be waiting any longer than I absolutely must! In fact, I may go so far as to sell a collection that I've had since 2001 if/when I determine that the funds raised will be sufficient and obtainable in a timely enough fashion to be of any help! As I've stated in a previous post, I didn't purchase the first three pressed disc volumes, only to miss out on the last! While the final week of September is my current goal (I'm presuming the great likelihood that Warner will have issued this by then!), I do wish to order Volume 4 sooner, if financially possible. I also hope that the price point won't be higher on account of the inclusion of the Bonus Trailers!

As for SECOND FIDDLE TO A STEEL GUITAR, I don't consider this a must purchase at this time, though I may consider it down the road after I've purchased THE BOWERY BOYS, VOLUME 4 and Randy Skretvedt's LAUREL & HARDY: THE MAGIC BEHIND THE MOVIES 3RD EDITION, in that order. Nevertheless, thank you very kindly for providing the Amazon link!

Tony

P.S. Having just looked at the Amazon.com pricing, I'll be respectfully passing on SECOND FIDDLE TO A STEEL GUITAR, especially as with the Shipping/Import Fees, THE BOWERY BOYS, VOLUME 4 actually works out to be cheaper for me.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
ab.jpg

Here is a closer look at the cover.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
rmw650 said:
Tony, just call me Richard and like I said, it is expensive but still available as maybe Ebay or someone else might have that title available on the cheap. It is a hard find from what I have heard, regarding that title.

Tony, here is the entire movie...http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxvx6z_second-fiddle-to-a-steel-guitar_shortfilms
Hi Richard!

Thank you very kindly for the tip and for the movie link! I will most probably pick up some of the earlier East Side Kids Titles first, as there are some reasonably priced DVD's for this Series, one 3 DVD Set in particular that's been cited as being at least of decent quality, though I'll likely try to get SECOND FIDDLE TO A STEEL GUITAR at some point.

CHEERS!

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks