What's new

The Beverly Hillbillies Season 1? (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Are these original night of broadcast versions, by chance?

The info is here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/com...rs-classic-39-episodes-blu-ray-review.331252/

Note this: "Here are the thirty-nine episodes contained on five Blu-ray discs in this Blu-ray set. Those episodes marked with an asterisk (*) are shows which have two versions available: the familiar syndicated versions or the ones with original sponsor material contained in the original opening credits and in Gleason’s closing plugs for Buick cars."

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
At the moment, I'm debating between this and THE HONEYMOONERS CLASSIC 39 EPISODE set from '03

For the original airing stuff, choose the Beverly Hillbillies. For the quality of the shows, choose the Honeymooners. Beverly Hillbillies didn't really click until a good chunk through season 1.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
For the original airing stuff, choose the Beverly Hillbillies. For the quality of the shows, choose the Honeymooners. Beverly Hillbillies didn't really click until a good chunk through season 1.
Thank you very kindly Stephen, but previously unbeknownst to me, there is also a 2014 Honeymooners Blu-ray set, that I obviously need to research a bit and/or receive some input on (Amazon's product details section has proven totally useless, in this case!), before I make a decision.

CHEERS! :)

EDIT: Having checked The Honeymooners Blu-ray Review Thread, I'm leaning towards that set, depending on whether or not I can swing the $40. Besides getting the complete classic '39 episode series in the best possible visual quality, there appears to be a rather nice array of extras included!

Truth be told, I'd love to get both sets, but the budget just won't allow for that, I'm sad to say! :(

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have just received season 1 of Beverly Hillbillies...except original sponsor Winston cigarette openings and closings, which you have the option of playing, all original footage is re - mastered to the usual CBS standards...the extended original pilot episode, with those sponsor segments, times out to 32 minutes...26:41 if you play the night of broadcast version with original sponsor segments...and 25:26 without...

I'm very happy to have the newly remastered first season, finally!
Hi Randall!

Does the backcover state whether ALL of the Season 1 BH episodes include a night of broadcast option, or just some of them?

I ask because the online information for this set is still rather lacking in details, to say the least! :P

While I'm currently leaning towards THE HONEYMOONERS "CLASSIC 39" EPISODES Blu-ray set, if more of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, SEASON 1 DVD episodes have the night of broadcast option (The Honeymooners has 13, I believe!), I might be swayed towards reacquainting myself with the Clampetts! :)

CHEERS! :)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
All of the Blu-Ray's from CBS are still on my wishlist since only now are they getting reasonable, but it was my understanding that it's still just the same 13 episodes that include that option.

The Blu-Ray.com review would seem to confirm my memories of past forum discussions.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Honeymooners-Classic-39-Episodes-Blu-ray/79293/#Review

Edit: I misread and see that you're talking about the season 1 set for The Beverly Hillbillies. I was thinking that you said that the Honeymooners DVD release had 13 episodes with that option and you were inquiring if additional episodes included it on the later Blu-Ray release from a couple of years ago.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Hello Tony,
I have only checked the first 2 discs, 15 episodes, and they ALL have a play option to include "original sponsor materials", that is, the network level sponsor openings and closings...for Winston cigarettes and Kellogg's breakfast cereals...those sponsor segments are not restored, although they look good...the body of each episode is fully re-mastered to the usual high CBS standard...a typical episode will play 25:36 without the network sponsor footage, and 26:42 with it included...on those sponsor segments, the best thing about them is perhaps hearing Flatt / Scruggs & Scoggins play and sing on behalf of that week's sponsor...of course, incorporating the sponsor name into the theme music end credits...

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
No glaring music edits? There was some music in S1, and CBS butchered up the background music on some of the S4 episodes. Also, are all of the references to the Confederacy and the South left intact? I could see someone getting PC happy and chopping those.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Also, are all of the references to the Confederacy and the South left intact? I could see someone getting PC happy and chopping those.

:laugh: What a great point, Ron. I certainly hope that's not the case, but if it did happen I guess I'd have to say I wouldn't be shocked. After the Dukes issue, nothing along PC lines surprises me any more.

Gary "if they removed all those references there would be nothing left of the show" O.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
:laugh: What a great point, Ron. I certainly hope that's not the case, but if it did happen I guess I'd have to say I wouldn't be shocked. After the Dukes issue, nothing along PC lines surprises me any more.

Gary "if they removed all those references there would be nothing left of the show" O.
Exactly!

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I started with Disc 4 since my 18 year old son wanted to start there; we've been watching the old MPI set, but only the 1st volume.

Initial impression is good. The film seems a bit grainy in comparison to S4 which is in color of course. S2 seemed to be along the same lines with S3 a bit sharper if I remember right. No complaints there. No major picture isses just the expected speck here and there. No lines running through it like the 16mm transfers used on the MPI set or the 16mm prints WREG used for like 100 years it seemed. My Sony DVD player upscales, so it is sharp to a point you can tell when they're on a stage with a video behind simulating live action such as traffic.

Audio seems to be a bit below the other seasons. I'm running a Sony home theater system with a center, two fronts that are as tall as me almost, and a powered sub. Rear isn't in use since it's mono. It's a huge step above the MPI set.

I haven't had a chance to check extras. I've lost the remote to my DVD player, so I just have to select play all.

So far, count me impressed. CBS, we still have five seasons to go. Don't make us go another two years to get S5. And please resume the inclusion of cast commercials for S5.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I started with Disc 4 since my 18 year old son wanted to start there; we've been watching the old MPI set, but only the 1st volume.

Initial impression is good. The film seems a bit grainy in comparison to S4 which is in color of course. S2 seemed to be along the same lines with S3 a bit sharper if I remember right. No complaints there. No major picture isses just the expected speck here and there. No lines running through it like the 16mm transfers used on the MPI set or the 16mm prints WREG used for like 100 years it seemed. My Sony DVD player upscales, so it is sharp to a point you can tell when they're on a stage with a video behind simulating live action such as traffic.

Audio seems to be a bit below the other seasons. I'm running a Sony home theater system with a center, two fronts that are as tall as me almost, and a powered sub. Rear isn't in use since it's mono. It's a huge step above the MPI set.

I haven't had a chance to check extras. I've lost the remote to my DVD player, so I just have to select play all.

So far, count me impressed. CBS, we still have five seasons to go. Don't make us go another two years to get S5. And please resume the inclusion of cast commercials for S5.
I was waiting for your opinion. Thanks.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Thanks, Ron. I'll be picking this one up for sure. I just watched some of my MPI discs recently and I'd forgotten how bad they look.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
It's a labor of love, guys! I used to think I was satisfied with the MPI prints, but then I got spoiled to the remastered CBS prints. I got it for $17.96 at the local Walmart, and I would have gladly paid a lot more than that.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I know full screen is sacrilege, but here's what I'm viewing and listening on

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 63

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I know full screen is sacrilege, but here's what I'm viewing and listening on
Ron, Ron, Ron... what ever are we going to do? Get that aspect ratio fixed! :eek:

You got this at your local WM? Hmmm.... a shopping trip might be in order. I looked for it at WM online and came up empty. One of the stores here had the new Daniel Boone S1 set from Shout so I'd suspect they'll also have this and it's less expensive than from Amazon. :)

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Would there have still been cast sponsorship commercials that late in the run?
On my Columbia House tapes, there are closing credits with Kellogg's and Life Buoy soap advertisements present in the later seasons. There's a Kellogg's commercial on YouTube in color, but I don't know what season. I would assume they continued, but I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks