What's new

The Bad News Bears (2005) (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
imdb

I guess these remakes only bother me when it's a film that I love. If it's a film I don't know or like then I don't give it a second thought. I shouldn't let it bother me but I do. The original is just too good.

If nothing else it will be interesting to see how far they take it. Surely they're not gonna Bad Santa it. What a mistake that would be.

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
I imagine with Linklater at the helm it'll be along the lines of "School of Rock" and that's fine by me. I'm not usually too big on remakes either but this one looks to be in good hands.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
The original will still exist. How does a remake affect it?

My only thing is, why remake it to beging with. This style of movie has been done over and over in all sports.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was sort of disappointed in this Richard Linklater directorial effort in this film. Gone are most of nice small moments from the original, and in their place are just scenes that feature bad child-acting, and no zip, no fire, no pizazz. The broad strokes (pun intended) are too wide and paint this Buttermaker as a caricature, and the little leaguers are stuck in a game that should have been called due to the 10-run rule in the first inning.

The new Amanda has no acting chops (but good pitching form), which severely undermines the core relationship of the film, so you're left with a film feels like a hangover: some details are sort of fuzzy, some parts appeared to be blacked out, and bigger moments diluted. I will say that the kid playing Tanner got a few laughs from me, but it wasn't enough to salvage the film.

I give it 1.75 stars, or a grade of C-.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I'd give it more like a B+. It was everything I expected out of a PG-13 "Bad News Bears" remake starring Billy Bob Thornton, written by the "Bad Santa" writers and directed by Richard Linklater in "School of Rock"-mode. It didn't blow me away or anything but I was totally satisfied. I think it showed the proper reverence to the original, not to mention the fact that it's funny when kids curse and fight.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I thought it was awful. Linklater did almost a carbon copy of the original. Why remake of movie if you aren't going to re-work it? At least with "The Italian Job" and "Ocean's 11" the screenwriters changed the scripts enough to make them different but have the same flavor as the originals. The script was almost EXACT with a "FEW" character changes and situations. The kids were as stiff as the bats they were swinging. In 1976 it was priceless, there was nothing else like it on screen. But almost 30 years later you do not have to make an almost exact replica for someting that is perfect already. Common Hollywood STOP bastardizing the films We love.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I'd go along with a "B" thanks to Billy Bob and the female lead actually having baseball skills. If it wasn't for a couple good reviews last week I probably wouldn't have seen it just as I'm not going to see Stealth or Devil's Rejects.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks