What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Archies (1960's Animated Classic Shows) (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I seem to recall that a few years ago there was talk about the animated version of "The Archies" were being negotiated as a possible DVD release. After doing some searching around I discovered some information about some of the various incarnations of the animated version of the Archies.

1968-1969 - The Archie Show debuts with 32 episodes
1969-1970 - The Archie Comedy Hour debuts with 32 episodes
1970 - Archie's Funhouse debuts, unknown number of episodes

I'm curious if anyone has heard anything about when these animated classics are coming to DVD. I grew up with these classic shows along with the original Scooby Doo and I'd definately stand in line overnight for this release. Any additional fan out there who've come across any information?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Archie Comics released a series of four (4) single DVDs in 2004. They were produced by a company called "Nostalgia Ventures" and as far as I know, they are still available through the Archie Comics website. Here is what's on them:

608 "Archie & Friends Featuring The Archie Show"
(Betty & Veronica on cover)
The Archie Show "Kids Day In Riverdale"
The Archie Show "Anchors Away"
The Archie Show "Riverdale's Costume & Dance Contest"
U.S. Of Archie "The Star Spangled Banner"
Archie's Funhouse (Short segment 0:06:56)

609 "Archie & Friends Featuring Sabrina The Teenage Witch"
(Sabrina on cover)
Sabrina "The Riverdale Pet Show"
Sabrina "The Riverdale Sea Aquarium"
Sabrina "Sabrina And The Goolies"
U.S. Of Archie "The Day Of The Ladies"
Archie's Funhouse (Short segment 0:06:42)
(Note: "The Groovy Goolies" appear in at least one of the shows on this disc, and they interact with the Archie characters.)

610 "Archie & Friends Featuring Archie's TV Funnies"
(Jughead on cover)
Archie's TV Funnies "Riverdale Grand Prix Auto Race"
Archie's TV Funnies "The Riverdale Air Circus"
Archie's TV Funnies "The Ghost Of Swedlow Swamp"
U.S. Of Archie "The Wright Brothers"
Archie's Funhouse (Short segment 0:06:26)

611 "Archie & Friends Featuring Archie's Classic Cartoons"
(Archie on cover)
The Archie Show "Rocket Rock"
The Archie And Sabrina Surprise Package "Tops In Cops"
(Retitled half-hour version of "The Archie/Sabrina Comedy Hour")
Archie's TV Funnies "Flying Saucer"
U.S. Of Archie "The Roughrider"
Archie's Funhouse (Short segment 0:07:33)

The "Archie's Funhouse" segments are just short chunks of a show, including the openings and closings, but obviously not complete. Some of the shows have Hallmark logos on them at the end. Quality is excellent, overall.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
That's the problem. While there has only been single DVD releases of selected episodes there hasn't been a major release for the animated version of "The Archies" ever to DVD.

I wonder if Dave or Gord has heard anything on this.:D

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I have those discs, and while the episodes look sharp, its just a small sampling of the series. They don't include the episode that featured the greatest Archies song ever, Sugar, Sugar...Come on, we need that episode...In fact, we need the complete series!!!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I have the one entitled archie and friends featuring the archie show, the song and dance of the week skits are hilarious ! Did people actually dance like that back then ? Anyway , i would buy season sets if released .

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I just wanna see that opening, where the animated characters go on a real stage in front of an audience of live-action kids. That confused the hell outta me- I thought that somehow they were able to really get the cartoons to go up on stage??

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
With Jossie and the Pussycats being released has anyone heard anything about "The Archie Show" being released anytime soon?

Mark Y

Screenwriter

No...besides..."Josie" is a Hanna-Barbera property (though they had to work out a deal with Archie Comics) and will be released through Warner Bros. I imagine we'll see the Archie series at some point, since a lot of Filmation product has been coming out through BCI...even the Groovie Goolies has been released. I think it's only a matter of time.

To answer the person who posted above...the opening you're describing was used on "Archie's Funhouse," and it's on the DVDs currently available (as part of the short "Archie's Funhouse" clips which appear as "DVD extras"). The visuals were reused (with completely redubbed audio) for the syndicated "The Archies" opening titles back in 1976. (This was a package of all the previous Saturday morning Archie shows produced up to then...not including "The Archies/Sabrina Hour," because it didn't premiere until 1978.)

Dave-P

Agent

After all these years, I'm glad to find out that I wasn't the only one that was confused by this opening sequence.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Who cares. As long as the series is starting to come out on DVD ... I have been waiting for far too long for this series and as long as there are no playback problems and that it works in my DVD player, who cares ... I want it now ... I can't wait.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
No, Im pretty sure they will not be double sided.Amazon lists the total running time at 374 minutes, divide that by 2, and you get 187 minutes for each dvd, plus whatever running time the extras are.So this will probably be 2 single sided dual layer dvds.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
But that doesn't make sense. How long is an episode? The show is listed as 32 episodes (1968). The box says complete series

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
It makes sense, I have 1 of those best of archie dvd from nostalgia ventures, it runs about 90 minutes and has quite a few episodes.Lets not forget that each episode was less than 8 minutes.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

That depends on what you mean by "episode." My definition of "episode" when referring to a TV series is one installment of the show, whatever it originally was...a half hour, hour or whatever. So one "episode" of "The Archie Show" consisted of two individual cartoons, a "dance of the week" segment, possibly a song performance, opening and closing, and I don't remember exactly what else. So if they did 16 half-hours, that's 32 cartoons, plus whatever else was in each show. That is, if they're complete.

If these are as good as those "sampler" DVDs from Nostalgia Ventures, I'll be happy with it. Especially if they eventually continue with the show...because this is one of those cases where even if every episode of "The Archie Show," under that title, is included, it still isn't complete. There's also "Archie's TV Funnies," "Archie's Funhouse," "U.S. Of Archie" and the rest. Hope to eventually see them all come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks