What's new

THE ALAMO (Merged Thread) (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Set's are under construction near Austin. More specifically, near Hamilton Pool, the location of Jennifer Connally's greatest nude scene. ;)
I won't fix the punctuation so you can check out the big brain on Hendrik in the first of several nonsense replies. ;)
...and English is probably his second language!

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...utterly OT...
1) the plural of "set" is "sets" (no apostrophy!!!)
2) who is "Jennifer Connally" ?
. . . . . .

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Jennifer Connally is Jennifer Connelly.:laugh: Sorry! Just a little joke. She was in The Rocketeer and A Beautiful Mind. She won best supporting actress. However, her role wasn't supporting.

Ernesto Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any news as to who is going to star in this? Also, I hope we get a more realistic and accurate telling of the story that provides insight into BOTH sides of the battle.

Wes C

Supporting Actor
Hmmmm, Ron Howard + historical epic = Best picture nominee

even if it sucks.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Do we really need another movie about the Alamo? I'd much rather see a movie based on the war between the United States and Mexico.

Hmmmm, Ron Howard + historical epic = Best picture nominee
My sentiments exactly.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
John,
The Hot Spot (1990)
There are countless other reasons to visit Hamilton Pool, it's an idylic little oasis of beauty near the Pedernales River.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
What's with the pessimism :angry: ? Yeah, I for one wouldn't mind seeing "yet another film" about the Alamo. It's a pretty important event in Texas history (understatement) and a sacred one to me and countless other Texans, and many non-Texan Americans too. Bag on Ronnie all you want, but please don't roll your eyes to the Alamo.

Brian E

Screenwriter
I'll be glad to see this movie if it turns out to be a fairly accurate portrayal of the Alamo story. Hopefully told from both sides.

I too would like to see a film done that covers the Mexican-American War. Maybe Gone For Soldiers will be made into a movie if Gods & Generals and The Last Full Measure make a little money.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
What's with the pessimism? Yeah, I for one wouldn't mind seeing "yet another film" about the Alamo. It's a pretty important event in Texas history (understatement) and a sacred one to me and countless other Texans, and many non-Texan Americans too.
I'm originally from Dallas so I do understand how important the Alamo is to the history of Texas. But the war between Mexico and the United States is important as well and I'd like to see that event explored before another Alamo retelling. That said, if Ron Howard does make this film, I hope he sticks closely to the facts and isn't just shooting for Oscar glory.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Reportedly, they are trying for a more fact-based account of the battle. John Sayles is writing the screenplay.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps of making this remake, Ron Howard should spend the money on getting Robert A. Harris to complete his version

of John Wayne and the Alamo.

Oscar Merkx

Paul W

Second Unit
Perhaps [instead] of making this remake, Ron Howard should spend the money [restoring John Wayne's Alamo]
I think it is a better idea to have a fresh and potentially historically more accurate portrayal of this batte than the only a restoration of a popular fictionalized account. That is my opinion only. Of course I am eager to find out the truth about David Crockett fighting to the death (a fact that has been called into question by a supposedly authentic diary of a Mexican soldier).

Paul W

Second Unit
Steve:
But the war between Mexico and the United States is important as well
As interesting as the march on Mexico city is, I don't think it is nearly as popular as the Alamo myth. Furhtermore, this was an agression by the US against Mexico to gain land to the Pacific. This runs counter to the current mood of sympathy movies where the Americans are downtrodden (i.e. We Were Soldiers). As historically accurate and useful as such a movie could be, I don't think it would sell in Hollywood.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Don't be deceived by my topic header, this thread is about Jennifer.
Please stay OT! ;)
Jim
"Alamo myth"? Two words I don't see together much around Bexer County.

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator
In keeping with Jim Armstrong's admonition, Connelly is hot! How about the studio's dumping this flirtation with Sandy Bullock for Wonder Woman and get Jennifer to play her?

Oh, and I'm not that big a Ron Howard fan. I'd be interested to see who the cast is before I decide to get excited about the Alamo project. And I doubt that, even if Alamo is the best movie Howard has ever made, that he'll get another directing Oscar, cuz I don't think he really deserved it for Beautiful mind. but that's just my opinion, and I know some people will be irritated by it.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
...I don't think it would sell in Hollywood.
You're probably right. And that's a shame as there is a lot of interesting stuff that went on during that conflict. For one, it served as a proving ground for many soldiers who would play important roles during the Civil War. Also, Winfield Scott had quite a few American soldiers executed after they defected to the Mexican side (they were later captured). These men apparently figured that their ties to their fellow Catholics were stronger than their ties to their country. I don't think anything like that has happened during an American war before or since. Quite tragic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks