What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

THE ALAMO (Merged Thread) (1 Viewer)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Actually, one of the points brought up in the WSJ article and the reason why Howard is asking for a higher violence quotient is to address the criticisms of inaccuracies in his last film.

I have been to the Alamo dozens of times and it is a solemn place and visiting it can be a moving experience.
Having been there, you are right that it is quite a moving experience.

There is also an IMAX produced film that plays around there. From what I can remember, that one is also quite a film.

~Edwin

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ernesto Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, the first time I saw that film was in the mid 80's and it was my first exposure to cannon fire through a sub woofer. :D

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Access Hollywood will give us the exclusive first look at the movie today with (a part of) the teaser, and it should be shown before Open Range, which opens tomorrow. AH showed a very brief clip of the teaser yesterday for a preview of today's show, and it's getting great marks all around at the biggest (and maybe only) The Alamo fansite that I know of:
http://www.thealamofilm.com/
AH has part of the teaser up on their website:
http://entertainment.msn.com/AccessH...od/VideoVault/

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I saw a bunch of behind the scenes clips a few months ago. I'll try to find the link...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
If you're talking about the five minute montage of clips, Disney ordered the sites hosting it to take it down.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Looks pretty generic to me. Hollywood can only do a film or two dealing with this theme at a time.

It didn't look bad, but then it didn't look like anything but formula.

On a not really unrelated note, any word of the Gates of Fire adaptation, the ultimate "heroic stand" story??

Thanks for the link!

Take care,

Chuck

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Watched the trailer for Alamo this morning. While it doesn't look to be groundbreaking, the overall depiction still could be stirring and a great spectacle. One of the AICN talkbackers said it succinctly: "Cheesy dialog, but great battle scenes."

any word of the Gates of Fire adaptation
The last I heard was that Michael Mann had optioned it, and that Bruce Willis and George Clooney were the ideal leads. Mann has since moved on to other projects (the IMDB has his newest project listed as "Collateral," and that hasn't even begun filming), and it's been a long time since I've heard any rumours about the project.

Having those three involved would be in-freaking-credible,though.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Is The Alamo still supposed to be PG-13 rated? I sure hope Disney doesn't screw it up like they did with Pearl Harbor.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
This movie is gonna have to go a long way to beat John Wayne's "The Alamo" and the 1950's movie "The Last Command." I have my doubts as to the quality of the acting given the leads of Dennis Quaid and Billy Bob Thornton; more so because of Dennis Quaid. While I do like him in some things, his portrayals in "Wyatt Earp" and "Dragon Heart" left me kinda cold. His acting in "The Rookie" and "Traffic" I thought was pretty good. Still, if they make it a real actioner, I will go see it. I will really be interested in the realism factor as I am a firearms buff and want to see them make the movie historically accurate. It will be interesting also to see if they kill Davy Crockett in the Alamo or take him prisoner as has been suggested recently.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
his portrayals in "Wyatt Earp" and "Dragon Heart" left me kinda cold
While I can understand anyone having a problem with "Dragonheart" :D , I felt his portrayal of Doc Holliday in "Earp" was superb. And while it was not that great a movie (and not widely seen), he also did some nice work in "Playing By Heart."
If "Alamo" ends up being bad, it's going to be because of scripting and too much studio interference, not because of lack of acting talent.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
While I can understand anyone having a problem with "Dragonheart" , I felt his portrayal of Doc Holliday in "Earp" was superb. And while it was not that great a movie (and not widely seen), he also did some nice work in "Playing By Heart."
I agree. I thought he should have been nominated for his Wyatt Earp role. Best Doc Holliday performance I've seen, and he was also good in Flesh and Bone, as I recall. Really, I think the guy is probably the most underappreciated actor working right now.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Don't get me wrong, I like Dennis Quaid as an actor and have seen some very good performances by him (Doc Holiday wasn't one of them IMHO, I thought he overacted). I think I was jaded by seeing Val Kilmer's prortrayal of the murderous Doc in "Tombstone" which I thought was superb. Oh well, different strokes I guess.:)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
it looks like the trailer is out now.

any advance word on this version of the film yet?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I created a new thread for this, because the title of this thread is "Ron Howard's 'The Alamo'", and Howard dropped out. Unless a mod wants to merge the two threads, please post in the other thread. If you want set reports and the like, the biggest Alamo fansite that I know of can be accessed by clicking here. A lot of extras, which include the webmaster of the website, have posted their set experiences in the message board.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks