What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The 2011 MBP refresh / buyers and owner's thread (1 Viewer)

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I had one case where the fans ran really high. However it recovered on it's own after a min or so. Other then that mine has been pretty flawless so far. I noted that a lot of the complants where 2.2Ghz. I have the 2.3Ghz hopefully that will be the difference.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I am willing to buy in to the thermal paste theory. iFixit tore down the new MBP and found it to be put together pretty well...except for the poor application of thermal paste on the processor: see Page 2 of their teardown, step 10.

Poor thermal paste application can be a real detriment to the performance of a CPU when it's under heavy load, as the audio and video production programs definitely tend to do.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Can I just say I'm EXTREMELY happy with my MBP? It's been completely perfect in every way and I can't imagine how Ap OH DEAR GOD NOoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/25/next-macbook-pro-to-get-new-case-design/

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Awesome. Now I know to wait on a notebook refresh until the 2nd gen of the new case design. So now I'm free to agonize over whether I should buy the upcoming iMac refresh or wait for the Mac Pro refresh...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I Luuuurve my Mac Pro. But if I didn't have to rely on more hard disk storage than what could fit into an iMac I'd be plenty happy with a 27"er. If they can just get Thunderbolt equipped drives into the mass market that might be a real compelling way for me to go in a year or two when my MP starts showing its age.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
"Wouldn't it be loverly..."

Sorry, I saw "My Fair Lady" this weekend with my wife, and this thread reminds me of a refrain from the show :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Can I just say I'm EXTREMELY happy with my MBP? It's been completely perfect in every way and I can't imagine how Ap OH DEAR GOD NOoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/25/next-macbook-pro-to-get-new-case-design/

My wife will be happy with her 15" MBP for some time. They may come out with something slick, but I'm not a bottomless pit of cash :)

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I'm very happy with mine other then it seems to get loud fan noise and hang for a time. Never locks up but I may get to look at the spinning color wheel for a few min.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Glad I sat out on this recent refresh. Looking forward

to the new casing and speed bump next year.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Just ordered the 8GB kit of 2x4GB Corsair ram chips (1333 speed) to pop into this guy. Between FCPX and Parallels (which is a hog) I've got a lot more multitasking going on that I anticipated. Even with nothing else running Dashboard shows Parallels sucking down almost all of my RAM and slows the hell out of everything else including simply swapping to different apps as it goes to paging in and out. Hoping 8GB will solve that, as the 12gb and 16gb options are 750/1500 which ain't gonna fly on my budget....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ordered Crucial's 8GB kit for my wife's 2009 iMac, for similar reasons. Safari seems to be causing a lot of swapping, and my wife runs Adobe CS5. Hoping this will fix such things.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
iMac upgraded to 8GB. Waiting for my wife to spend some time in CS5 and Parallels to tell me if it made a noticeable improvement.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hiya Dave!

Coming in late on this...

You should see a noticeable improvement.

I went with 8GB on my iMac and I can open multiple programs

at a time without any kind of slowdown (helps that I have an i7 processor, too).

And with Parallels, you dedicate 4GB to that and 4GB to your Mac and

there is no slowdown with both running at the same time.

These days, I won't go anything less than 8GB on any computer I buy.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Agreed, dedicate the space to Parallels in the setup menu for it, it likes that lots. Also, for anyone thinking of buying Parallels any time soon, jump in before the next ten days here. I think of this as buy a copy of Parallels for $30 off and get 9 other meh products for free: http://www.macsuperbundle.com/?gclid=CNijtIb1hqoCFeVx5QodakTO1Q

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Well I have had a lot of random issues with my early 2011 MBP. Well yesterday I finally got fed up and took it into the genius bar. The hard drive was failing. So they replaced it thanks Apple for a painless replacement. The bad part is the corruption was interfering in get good backups. Still determining everything I lost. It appears that I lost quite a few of my digital copies which ticks me off. Overall I'm happy with Apple support but sad that I moved to Apple for more reliability and I'm getting the same crappy hardware now for twice as much. :(

I'm still recovering my biggest concern is home much of my photos I lost.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Are you saying that the Time Machine backup was corrupted? Or are you using a different tool? I use TM for my OS but all my media goes to full CCC backup nightly and to an offline hard disk every few months...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks