What's new

Thank God It's Friday coming 4/4/06 (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
yeah i can't believe it either.
this was in heavy rotation on HBO when i was a kid, and by repetition i grew fond of it, but haven't seen it in over 25 yrs.
i'm sure its crap, but (hopefully) nostalgic kick will trump its inherent quality.
frankly i'm shocked, because i would have expected the cost of licensing vs the sales potential to have bumped this way down to the bottom of the list of priorities.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Wow! The dancing Lady Columbia is, for me, the most ingenious moment in the film. However, there are fun moments aplenty throughout the film. For some reason, this is one I could see paired with say, Car Wash rather than other "disco" movies such as Saturday Night Fever, which this film was intended to ride the coattails of.

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator
Holy Crap!!..Thank God It's Friday was a Oscar winner for best song "Last Dance"..now I can have this in my collection and if anyone says anything..say ..hey it's an Oscar winner!!..lol

Jace_A

Second Unit
Easily the worst film to ever win an Oscar of some kind. I saw this as a young teenager when it was first released and thought it dreadful even then. I can't imagine it's improved with time. Although, it is notable as Debra Winger's first role.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Yes, that was before TGIF. And ouch, 57 is one of the worst films ever made. Unbelievably bad. I was watching Debra Winger's films a couple years ago for a project I was working on, and boy, was that terrible.

TGIF though is a lot more fun, although not a good film. It also features Terri Nunn, who would go on to be the lead singer for Berlin. And Jeff Goldblum.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Finally !!!!!!!!!!!!
Is in on COLUMBIA OR CRITERION, now I can play it with
"CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Speaking of which, is it better than CSTM? I got hoodwinked into buying that blind and was sorry until the day I unloaded it on Ebay. ;)

Jace_A

Second Unit
TGIF is far, far worse than CSTM. At least CSTM had a camp element to it that made it watchable. TGIF was just plain awful. Nothing more than a bunch of video clips strung together with inanities. The whole enterprise was nothing more than an advert for the soundtrack.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
And once again, rather than the fun and familiar original poster artwork, Sony has created a bland photoshopped cover with Donna Summer even though she's only a bit player in the film.

So not groovy, man.

walter o

Supporting Actor
amusing the cover doesnt even mention Debra Winger, sad that this three time Oscar nominee is now forgotten. :frowning:

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator
Gosh Jace, thanks for the fun..you must be great at parties..:thumbsdown:

It is what it is..fun, cheezy and without importance..but I like it :D

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Oh, goody, guilty pleasure time!

Hmm... in the time since I have seen this one, I have become an MST3K fan. I wonder how easy THIS one will be to MiST? :D

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Anybody get this yet? I've been waiting for this forever, but given Sony's recent track record I want to make sure they managed not to screw it up before buying it.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Well, I went ahead and got it- quality of the movie is pretty good and didn't notice any replaced music. It's even got the older-style PG rating tag at the end. Soundtrack appears to be from a discrete magnetic print, also has a mono Portuguese dubbed track I'll have to check out later.

Not only do I have the album to this on 8-track, but I've also got an 8-track tape made for instore play to promote the Thank God It's Friday album, with announcements in between songs telling you to buy it!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i thought the presentation (well, at least in terms of A/V) was excellant. i seem to recall some EE at points, but the overwhelming impression was surprise at how good this looked and sounded.

Savants review was extremely interesting (including discussion of the background and fate of the guy who played the nearsighted dweeb...i would never have thought this guy co-wrote "Last Dance") in fact reading his review made me wish that more studios would at least pop for some text based screens if they aren't going to go full out on supplemental material.

watching it again after all these years was an odd experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks