What's new
World Wide Stereo

Testy Area 51 (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
The best line in the featurette for this was a guy telling the story of meeting Edward G. Robinsonand asking who was tougher, Robinson or Bogie. Robinson's reply was "Are ya crazy? I killed him 3 times, he only got me once!" :)
I was thinking that his math was a little off--as you saw in that movie, it could count as a notch in both columns. Key Largo is obviously the one that Robinson was thinking of where Bogie got the draw on him.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
Thanks! Updated and submitted for your approval.
A Testy catering service? :laugh: Nothing is beyond the powers of the Area 51 droogs...
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Star Wars? In a mailbox? Is that another new edition? ;)
I'm going to steal my copies of the OG Star Wars, mainly because the SE versions are fine with me. I'm one of the few who don't feel like Lucas raped me of my childhood, although... HOW DARE HE TAMPER WITH THX!! ;)
:)?
RG Noir/crime festival update:
I took a time out from creaky assed old B&W films to watch "Inside Man", the Spike Lee heist flick. I really liked this one. I'm a sucker for heist films, it's a rare one that I hate. no matter how implossable the heist is. This one was pretty crafty, even though the logic scientist in me has to call BS on the ultimate resolution. Well worth seeing with a top notch cast: Denzel Washington, Jodie Foster, Clive Owens and Willem Dafoe, how can you go wrong??

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Beg, borrow or steal a copy Russell, believe me it won't make Lucas bankrupt, my young nephew is waiting for me to watch it so he can borrow it and rip the shit out of it :laugh: but he did buy the Special Editions, which he prefers.
htf_imgcache_1327.jpeg

htf_imgcache_1328.jpeg

htf_imgcache_1329.jpeg

htf_imgcache_1330.jpeg

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Here's something I've been wanting to see for awhile.........
htf_imgcache_1359.jpeg

To be honest, I wasn't going to get the Star Wars OT but decided what the hell and bit the bullet. I'm glad I bought them. :D :D
Piss on some of the hardcore Starwars fanboys. Some of them need to get a life. It's only a f**king movie.
htf_imgcache_1368.jpeg

"Damn! It's raining. Hope I closed the windows on the Porsche."

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
:) Good work Joe. I'm glad you posted that shot, another good reason to pick up the original Return of the Jedi, even if it does mean going back to the yub-yub song finale! :D
Watched Star Wars last night, now that's the film I remember from my childhood! No cgi beasties swarming around Mos Eisley and no funny looking Jabba the Rubbery Hutt who beared little resemblance to his more effective animatronic persona in Jedi.
Picture was much better than I had expected given there was no enhancement or restoration whatsoever, the only letdown was the puny 2.0 stereo sound. But thats how it sounded three decades ago.
Anne Robinson: The author of Doctor Zhivago was Boris who?
Old lady: ..... Yeltsin?
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[yawns into frame] What joke where? Oh since I've been woken from my sleep of the undead here's an oldie but goldie -
A young man was in a pub one day with his new girlfriend. It's their first date and everything is going well, barring the occasional period of silence. The girlfriend goes to "powder her nose". Johnny looks around and is shocked to see Frank Sinatra at the bar. So, he pops over.
"Excuse me", says the young man, "this may sound silly - you look like Frank Sinatra. I don't suppose....."
"Well", interrupts Frank, "I am Frank Sinatra."
The young man is almost speechless, "Mr. Sinatra, I'm your biggest fan, you're a legend! I've got all your records... hmmm could you do me a favour?"
"Whatever you want", Frank replies smiling.
"Well, you see I'm over there with my new girlfriend and it would really impress her if you would come up after and say - 'hello Johnny!'"
"Sure, no problem kid!", says Frank.
So, Johnny rushes back to his table and his girlfriend returns.
A few moments later, Frank Sinatra walks over to their table.
"Hi Johnny, how you doing?", says Frank with a big smile.
Johnny looks up and says "Oh fuck off Frank!"

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
What are you doing up in the middle of the night, your time, Steve? Me, i am eating supper, and reading bad jokes that probably sound good at 1230 AM. Only 630PM here.
Steve, and all, you need that BB sci-fi set that came out today.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
What BB set Rick? It is getting a bit late over here, another hour and I'm off. I'm sort of watching a Sherlock Holmes classic, The Scarlet Claw, with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. No they're not here watching it with me they're in the film. I like watching old films in the late hours, it's the only time I'm allowed to watch them. ;)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection. It has a thread. Lets see we get Tarantula, The Mole People, The Incredible Shrinking Man, Monolith Monsters, and Monster on the Campus. For now its a Best Buy exclusive. Good set of movies for under $20.
I love to stay up late and watch old movies too. When my kids were little it was the only free time i had. The ex always ragged me about the stuff i watched. I never thought Frankenstein '33 would hurt their 10 year old minds. It didnt mine! :)
I have a good portion of the old Holmes movies. Who is your favorite Holmes?
As for me, i have to say i always loved Peter Cushing's one turn as Holmes in Hammer's Hound of the Baskerville.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hammer's Hound of the Baskervilles is one of my favorites Rick, Cushing was great as Holmes. I dunno, Rathbone was pretty iconic. The first two made by Fox in 1939 were the best of the classic series before Holmes was transported in time to the 1940's for a further 12 Universal flicks. The Scarlet Claw & The Spider Woman were the two best from that period I thought, and the one with The Creeper was pretty good too. All had great atmosphere, perfect for late night viewing. :)
I bought Tarantula and The Incredible Shrinking Man on region 2 earlier this year along with It Came From Outer Space, the only other really good one from that set is The Monolith Monsters IMO.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I still don't get the jokes. Whose anne Robinson? Who's "Frank Sinatra"??
Just kidding, maybe!
I haven't seen any Sherlock Holmes films, period, I think. think, nope, none come to mind. I was curious about that Rathbone set, maybe if I see it cheap. I'll pick up the Best Buy set if I can find it in Canada, otherwise, I'll still get those movies SOMEHOW!
I lost a day in my noir/crime/tough guy/heist flick fest due to finally getting my DVR back from the shop and having to test it, but I snuck a film in last night:
San Quentin
A pretty good prison flick. Bogie almost made it through this one. The featurette described it as a quintesential film in the prison genre, as it carries all the hallmarks. I have to dissagree, as it had no shower rape scene. A prison movie isn't a prison movie without the shower rape scene.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Russell G said:
I haven't seen any Sherlock Holmes films, period, I think. think, nope, none come to mind. I was curious about that Rathbone set, maybe if I see it cheap. I'll pick up the Best Buy set if I can find it in Canada, otherwise, I'll still get those movies SOMEHOW!
Somehow? [ominous music rising] The same way you'll get the original unaltered Star Wars? ;)
Anne Robinson from The Weakest Link, I sometimes catch the last few minutes when I come home. Some of the answers are so ridiculous, these people thought they were good enough to go on a quiz show?
Here are some more -
Anne Robinson: Hadrian's Wall was built to keep out which tribe, the Picts or the Zulus?
Contestant: ....the Zulus?
Anne Robinson: What 'C' is a large North American reindeer?
Contestant: ... moose?
Anne Robinson: In which European country was actor Antonio Banderas born?
Contestant: ...Mexico?
Anne Robinson: The 'Tale Of Two Cities' starts "It was the best of times, it was .." what?

Contestant: ...summer?
:laugh:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The same way you'll get the original unaltered Star Wars?
yup, much the same way. I can't feel too guilty, especially with Star Wars, I'm sure I'll end up buying the "George Lucas Needs A Poolside Bar At the Lucasfilm Ranch Anniversary edtion mega wham bam set" next year.
I can't wait for the fountain! I loved his other films.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
THX 1138 arrived today, set in "a dystopian future-state where a high level of control is exerted upon the residents through the ever-presence of faceless, android police-officers and the mandatory, regulated use of special drugs that eliminate emotion and sexual desire." Whaaat? Where's the fun in that? One future I don't want to live in, just once can we have a future where men and women frolic happily and nakedly, not a care in the world, and with the song Aquarius playing in the background - "When the moon is in the Seventh House and Jupiter aligns with Mars. Then peace will guide the planets and love will steer the stars. This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius. The age of Aquarius. Aquarius! Aquariuuuuuu[STOP IT STEVE!] :crazy:
Anyway back to dystopia, George Lucas was just 23 when he first started making THX 1138 back in 1969, the film was eventually released in 1971. This is a special edition version of that film George couldn't resist 'enhancing' his original vision, opening up the film with elaborate mattes of a future city and cgi'd car chases. Thankfully he hasn't cgi'd all the rampant full frontal nudity [cue mad scramble to rent THX 1138]. ;)
htf_imgcache_1422.jpeg

htf_imgcache_1423.jpeg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
This was another one of Lucas enhanced movies that I really liked. I have no problem with any of the changes Lucas has made to any of his movies.
Well... maybe the Greedo shoots first, but THATS IT!
Did you get the 2 disc version?? It has a great Doc on coppolas American Zoetrope debacle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.