Real Name
Steve Christou
Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh.jpg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Carole Landis fan, Mike? I know the name but can't think of a single film she appeared in! [bites fist]
How about Hedy Lamarr? "That's Hedley!"

I like the tagline on Jane Russell's poster for the 3D movie The French Line

French Line ,The fggffg.jpg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I didn't know that about Carole Landis, so young, it's sad.

Halloween gone for another year. Guy Fawkes Day coming up on the 5th of November, thousands of fireworks will light up the sky, I could hear some going off earlier, made me think what it must have sounded like here 76 years ago when the Germans were blitzing London and people had to seek shelter in the nearest underground stations. The Germans dropped over a million bombs on Britain before Hitler gave up and turned his attention towards Russia and what a huge blunder that was...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Jeezus I thought that was Hiroshima or Nagasaki, was that straight after Pearl Harbor? Considering how hated the Japanese were by Americans during the war (some of the cartoon caricatures were horrific) 10 years later and Americans were buying cameras made in Japan and taking trips to Tokyo as if the war never happened. China wasn't so quick at forgiving Japan though.

pearl_harbor_ver4.jpg

small

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The great napalm raid on Tokyo was on 10 March 1945 (Operation Meetinghouse). Over 300 B-29s took part. Casualty figures are at best estimates but over 100,000 died that night, more than at Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined. Similarly civilian casualty figures in Nanking were estimated at 40,000 to 200,000. Soviet dead in the war are only grossly estimated at 20 - 30 million.

In earlier centuries countries would sue for peace after military defeats, but in the 20th century countries would not accept defeat and would fight until annihilated. After the Battle of Leyte Gulf (23 - 26 October 1944), Japan had no hope of survival but still fought on for almost another year.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Steve

I'm pretty sure the British hated the Japanese as much as we Yanks during WWII. At that time they were a savage army committing horrifying atrocities against their enemies(The Bataan Death March for one...among countless others). The Japanese government at the time bears most of the blame as they pretty much brainwashed their troops and civilians.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And imo the 1942 Battle Of Midway pretty much ended the Japanese hope of winning the war.

Soviet civilian deaths were close to 8 million.

In China 1.3 million troops were killed however 10 million civilian deaths.

Total Japanese civilian deaths were 300,000

More than 57 million people were killed duringWWII.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Dennis, Tino, I bow to your superior knowledge on WWII. I only know what I see in Hollywood movies. John Wayne won that war. ^_^

Doctor Strange was fun and trippy. Cumberbatch was excellent as Dr. Stephen Strange.

The Marvel Universe is getting bigger, and stranger.

Not quite top tier Marvel but highly recommended. 4 out 5.

Doctor-Strange-Comic-Con-Poster.jpg

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Amazingly enough I've actually seen Hirohito up close in person.

I was a grad student at UCSD in 1976, when Hirohito was taking a tour of our Scripps Institution of Oceanography. He and a party of hosts walked past me not 30 feet away.

Hirohito had majored in Oceanography in college and probably didn't really want to be an Emperor. For that matter, George VI probably didn't want to be King but his brother ran off with that American tart.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.