What's new

test material to compare center speakers (1 Viewer)

Mark ZA

Agent
Patrick Stewarts voice-over at the beginning of X-Men will help with smoothness and clarity, and I guess the Matrix has a pretty busy centre channel if you wanna check it under 'stress'

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well, the center speaker carries ALL the dialog of a movie, and the special effects and the music/soundtrack.
This is a difficult task for any single speaker to do well.
So I would advise you to find chapters of movies that have male/female voices, special effects and music.
When I searched for the best center speaker, I would disconnect the L/R and rears so I could focus on just the center.
I became very familar with some chapters of DVD's and took them to every audition.
These were:
Star Trek:First Contact - Ch 2 This is the Borg Battle scene at the beginning. In about 7 minutes it has nearly every kind of sound you can imagine.
Air Force One - Ch?? The chapter where they hijack the plane. Has lots of special effects & sounds.
When I tested, I tried several things:
- Closing my eyes and turning around several times. Then try to locate the speaker by sound alone. (I wanted to avoid speakers that acted like a point-source of sound).
- Listening to the speaker while sitting on the floor, sitting in a chair, standing and moving off-axis. (For my family, having a narrow sweet-spot is a bad thing).
Note: Many speakers sound good with movies, but Music will often uncover flaws in a speaker that are ignored with a movie soundtrack. For this reason, you should bring a favorite music DVD with you to the audition.
An ordinary CD can be used, but these are NOT designed to send music to a center-speaker. So you are relying on the receiver/processor to route some sounds. So if a otherwise good center sounds funny with a CD, is it really the speaker, or the electronics doing something funny? You cannot tell. So bring a music DVD with you as well.
Note: In my price range, two center speakers stood out:
Definitive Technology CLR 2002 (I bought based on this center)
Energy AC-300 (This was a close second)
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks