What's new

Test Driving a Hitachi 43UWX10B - Need help... (1 Viewer)

Mike Hartman

Auditioning
I'm heading to Circuit City after work today to test drive a Hitachi 43UWX10B..
What should I test out before I make my decision? I was planning to have them hook up a progressive scan DVD player so I could view the high definition setup..
Does anybody have reviews of this set that might make my decision easier?
All posts are appreciated.. :)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Mike,
If you're relatively inexperienced with rptvs, try to view the set with your eyes at approximately the same vertical level as the center of the screen. Watching while your eye level is above or below the screen drastically cuts brightness.
You'll also lose a bit of brightness if you watch from more than about a 45 degree angle to one side or the other, but side to side isn't as critical as vertical.
Turn contrast down to 30% or less, brightness to around 50-55%, sharpness 10% or so, color maybe 23-30%, color temp to "warm." The store will probably not have turned it down from the factory default torch settings, which can make any set look pretty bad.
It's my understanding, though I haven't played with one of these yet, that SVM can be turned off in the user menu, probably in the "advanced video settings" sub menu off the main video adjustment menu.
This is probably where you turn off auto-color and set color temp, if the menu system is anything like the one on my 99 Hitachi ntsc set.
Happy hunting, and let us know what you think of this set.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Han

Second Unit
There's a post on hometheaterspot.com that raves about how good this set looks after proper convergence and setup. There are also some numbers you can take down as sorta guidelines on where to set contrast, brightness, etc. when you're at the local CC or Sears (or wherever) that has this set.
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-b...&f=63&t=000125

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks