What's new

Ten Rules For Shopping At Best Buy (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
1. Know what you want before you get there
2. Always answer the salespeople with "no thanks, just looking"
3. Try to bring cash or a credit card that isn't demagnetized or dirty (this is pretty much the rule anywhere you go)
4. Turn down the 4-year plan on anything that costs under $50!!
5. Make sure you browse the DVDs
6. Resist the temptation to correct a saleperson who is helping J6P...but correct them anyway
7. Play with the TVs' tone controls
8. Tell at least one shopper that widescreen is the only way to go
9. Say hello to the guy at the front door, but do not say anything further than that
10. Bring money for at least one DVD
enjoy! :cool:

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
2. Always answer the salespeople with "no thanks, just looking"
What about "Fuck you, leave me the fuck alone?"

First, I like Best Buy. I am just getting sick and tired of being approached by blue shirts to either sell me on MSN or Netflix.

You've had this same conversation, right?

"You have a computer, don't you?" ("Yes.")
"You have Internet access, right?" ("Of course.")
"What kind of Internet access do you have? ("Why?")
"Is it high-speed?" ("Yes.")
"Are you happy with..." ("Look, would you please stop asking me questions so I can look at your CD's?")

What kind of spiffs are the blue shirts getting for pitching this stuff?

- Steve

Mitty

Supporting Actor
"You have a computer, don't you?" ("Yes.")
"You have Internet access, right?" ("Of course.")
"What kind of Internet access do you have? ("Why?")
"Is it high-speed?" ("Yes.")
"Are you happy with..." ("Look, would you please stop asking me questions so I can look at your CD's?")
I have a way to avoid these annoying conversations. I just tell whoever that I already own/subscribe to whatever they're selling. I works every time. :)
Q: Would you like to apply for a Sears card?
A: (Smile politely)No, thank you, I already have one.

Alternately, you could just have fun with it...
(Look utterly confused) What the hell is the "internet!?"

Cam S

Screenwriter
Mitty has a good aproach to their "pitches". Just try to confuse them or piss them off.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I have the opposite problem: I can never find one of them when I need them.
Today, I mentioned Super Audio CDs to a one of them and got this look: :confused:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
What kind of spiffs are the blue shirts getting for pitching this stuff?
Keeping their jobs. BB employees are required to push MSN and Netflix like crazy because BB makes mad cash off of them. They may not be working on commission, but they get all the headaches of working on commission

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
My strategy for best buy is to just go in there and know what I'm looking for. I am all business in best buy, just grab what I want and go. However sometimes I feel bored and look around just for the hell of it. Also I found that it is best to only buy software, there hardware and the people who "know" hardware are just pathetic.

9. Say hello to the guy at the front door, but do not say anything further than that
This is usually the only person I say hello to. Is it pathetic that I think he knows who I am?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Try to bring cash
As opposed to using credit cards? Why?

At the local one, I've had no troubles when shopping deliberately or just browsing. If someone approaches ("Can I help you find anything?"), they will not bother me if I say I'm just looking. And I've never had anyone try and sell me the MSN or Netflix packages, but maybe I don't buy the right stuff to get those pitches.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
As a female, I take an alternate approach.
It's more fun (and profitable) to make nice with the salesboys at BestBuy. They're young, bored, and broke...so give them a break. I've found that if you befriend them, they'll hold DVDs for you; alert you when something new comes in that you've been looking for; be more amicable when price matching (ie, not make you go through customer service) and will sometimes give you a better deal than Circuit City. Plus they'll share coffee and gossip with you. I always know about the best deals.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
one salesperson tried to sell my uncle a DVD player when he went in to only buy a TV. he doesn't watch many movies because he is never home so he tried telling them that and they still persisted in trying to get him to buy one. He finally told them that he was still using 8-tracks and didn't even know what a DVD was. The look he got was the best, a kind of dumbfounded "are you serious" look but it worked they let him go on his way.

---jay

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
When I'm in BB my standard reply to "May I help you find something?" is "Only if you know where my wife is." Of course, I already know where she is - at the shoe store next door.;)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
When asked about Netflix, I told the cashier that I don't rent films because my personal movie library is large enough that I could start my own video rental store. When dealing with hardware purchases, I make sure that I know EVERYTHING that I need to know before I buy anything there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks