What's new

Technophobe learns to stop worrying and love home theater. Dave gets an audio system. (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hoping to reach a total of one-hundred DVDs by the time of his first anniversary as a convert at the end of this month, Dave made a startling announcement over the phone early last week.

"I'm ready to go for the surround sound, Jack!" shrieked the Bronx-accented voice on the other end.

"You've been saying that all year," came my tired response amid a barely stifled yawn.

"No, I really mean it this time. And the next time I call you it's gonna be from at Good Guys!" he boasted. "But tell me what to buy. My limit's $1,000. I want you to write it all down in an e-mail."

Sensing Cohen was serious this time, I said, sure, yeah, no problem. But there was a problem. Technologically challenged, Dave would require a gentle hand to guide him through every last detail. And we're talking about someone who cannot even change a fuse.

I dashed off the e-mail anyway, starting with the obligatory warning about salespeople commissioned to push certain overpriced, unworthy brands onto the clearly and obviously ignorant, a class to which Dave belongs. Then I detailed exactly what components I believed he needed to match and work with his (free, thanks to me) 27-inch Panasonic direct-view set and Sony 725 player.

To wit: the Energy Take 5.2 speaker suite, an Energy S8 woofer, and the Denon AVR-1705 receiver. Now, if only Dave can talk the salesperson into giving all this to him for a grand (give or take $100), I thought.

Sure enough, late Saturday morning, Dave called me from the Good Guys! store near where he lives (just past Northridge). A confused torrent of babble. The poor guy wasn't sure what he was getting or whether he was being offered a decent deal.

"Jack, you talk to this guy, please," he said while handing over the phone to the salesperson despite my objections. Yet it was a wise move. I bluntly told the Good Guys! good guy that my friend's budget was fixed. Try to make him a deal on that 8-inch Energy "sub"woofer and get him out the door for as close to a grand as possible, I exhorted the good guy.

"Does it have to be an Energy?" the good guy asked. "I could make him a de --"

"Look, I want to assure that we're timbre-matching his speakers correctly."

"But there are lots --"

"Can you or can't you make him a deal on the Energy woofer?"

"Well --"

"Tell me," I said in a response that would make a certain 50,000 people proud, "have you ever heard of a popular Website called 'Home Theater Forum'?"

"Yes, of course I have. Customers mention it every now and then. I've been to it."

"Well, I'm a longtime member there. An old hand. We know our stuff. I've been into this audio thing for longer than you've been alive. I want Dave to make the leap from boom box to genuine home theater with as little pain as possible. Try to do something for him."

A heroic performance. I knew I had the good guy nailed.

Dave got back on the line. "He's going into the back room now, Jack. I'll call you back when I'm done here. Oh, can you put together this stuff for me today?"

"Dave, get real, damn it. It's too short of a notice. This will be an all-afternoon project and my weekend is already booked."

Not quite thirty minutes later, Dave called from his car.

"Jack, you did it!" he screached, his annoying voice ratcheted up an octave. "The total bill was just over $1,100. The sales guy said that I was basically getting a free subwoofer! It's because he talked to you."

"That's not really a subwoofer, Dave. A real subwoofer starts rolling off below -- oh, hell, whatever. You seem happy."

"I can hardly wait for you to put it all together, Jack. I'll buy you dinner and beer. How about tomorrow?"

"Dave, I have an awful lot of errands to do on Sunday. Let's plan on next Saturday. And I mean it: We need to get an early start. We need to go to Rat Shack and get a lot of connectors and cables. I want to be done by late afternoon so I can get home and feed my cat at the appropriate time."

"But that's a whole week from now!"

"Dave, I've bought new audio toys and not installed them until weeks later. By Fridays I'm worn out from a week's worth of deadlines. I have balky writers who --"

"Okay, okay, okay!"

"And Dave? I mean it: You're going to have to learn some of this stuff. You'll need to know how to at least operate that Denon's remote. I'll have to walk you through all this."

Yes, I thought at that moment, it would be like teaching a Middle Ages monk how to operate a Macintosh. Where to begin?

So that's what my coming Saturday holds in store. A day in which I normally rest and spend quality time with my little buddy Attila, screening movies, and drinking beer. Lots of beer.

To be continued.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
You might have to move up from beer to valium after Saturday. Just a hunch ;)

Aren't you dreading the day when he wants to raid your DVD collection? "2000 and what? Is it like Star Wars or something?"

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
These stories about this guy always seem to be amusing. I'm in for email updates.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Dave... the ultimate reality sitcom. It's great to see someone really enthused by their new hobby. Congrats to Dave! :emoji_thumbsup:

I've forgotten, does Dave know about... us? ;)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Links to the original Dave sagas would be helpful to newcomers, I love these stories. :D Crazy to see him take such a dramatic step!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
You'll know Dave has really crossed over when he starts complaining about full-frame releases. And, of course, the inevitable "How come The Shining isn't in widescreen?"

:)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Jack, tell him you'll supervise while he assembles. That way you can still "rest" and "drink beer". "Lots of beer". Heck, even bring along Attila, I bet those interconnects would make for some great play time.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hmm...ron brings up a good point. you should have dave do all the work. nothing like hands-on to teach somebody.

plus you can secretly scoff at him while he's contorting the hell out of his body trying to hook up those damn cables!

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Thats when the show will downhill. I like the first few seasons so far in all it's FULL SCREEN, Dolby 2.0 glory.
Sometimes, I feel I know way too much about "Dave."

theted, can we get a preview of season one's artwork? "Dave" deserves some decent packaging. Slim cases? Limited "Dave" Tin? A Jack Briggs commentary track? Hopefully, Jack wont want to go back and change a bunch of stuff. Adding unicorns and shit.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
"Dave" seems to be a better Thursday night bet than "Joey". Shouldn't this thread be moved to TV Shows?:D

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale

My thoughts exactly.

Jack,
When I read that you were going to start a thread (another thread) about your friend Dave and his foray into HT, I was giddy. It's quite a journey that he has taken.
Can't wait for part II.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks