What's new

TCFHE Press Release: The Sound of Music 45th Anniversary (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by Jim*Tod

I have wondered the same thing. I am especially interested in what Robert Harris has to say about this release. Of course, a lot of high profile films are being released this week, so maybe everyone is just swamped. In any case, I will be running out to buy my SOM blu ray tomorrow in any case. Sounds like Target has the best deal.

I've been looking all over for some reviews, especially from Mr. Harris. Yes, this is a big week for releases, but this one and The Bridge on the River Kwai dwarf the others and Kwai has already been extensively covered.

I'll probably get the Target release for everyday use and the big box set as a collector's item.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
I saw OK. in 70mm-Todd-AO just before the first DVD release. And it looked almost 3D!

I saw TSOM in 70mm @ the National theatre on Broadway in the late 70's, @ a midnight showing. It looked great but the right surround track on the 2nd

reel was bad & all that came out was a loud whistle. We came from Baltimore Md. & was showing what 70mm 6tr. was about. What a bad showing for

a big Broadway film house! The only bad time I ever had in NY. And I saw many a film there.

Here's a list

on 42nd st. -Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (it was censord in Baltio. we had the last board in the USA!

Radio City Music Hall - The Slipper & the Rose/-Robin & Marion/-1776/-

Lowes Astor Place-Star WARS

The Zeigfeld- Tru Lies/-That,s Entertainment/- Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

The Village/- Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Empire 25/- Cranked 2.

And many others I can't recall.

I still miss the old theatres showing the old movies! Nothing like seeing a film with a crowd!!!

Everett

i

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I wish the review copy HAD arrived because it is my #1 priority this week, but it did not arrive in today's post.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Originally Posted by MattH.

I wish the review copy HAD arrived because it is my #1 priority this week, but it did not arrive in today's post.

The bastards!

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Originally Posted by Sebastian1972

[FONT= 'arial']From the DVD Beaver captures, it looks like they restored the beautiful golden hues back into the film in this blu-ray edition the way cinematographer Ted McCord intended that was unfairly absented - and bleached out - in all previous home video incarnations. [/FONT]

Sebastian, where did you read this? Do you have a link?

Real Name
Sebastian Porter
Sebastian, where did you read this? Do you have a link?

[FONT= 'arial']Brian, I had a chance to attend a screening of vintage 35mm dye-transfer reduction print that was approved by Ted McCord (the cinematographer) years ago which gave me an idea of the looks of The Sound of Music in term of its intended color-timing and density. From the DVDBaver screen captures, that rich, warm and beautiful golden glow, which was discarded and white-balanced out in all previous video incarnations, has finally returned to its full glory on this blu-ray edition. In a word, I’m very happy. [/FONT]

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Originally Posted by Sebastian1972

[FONT= 'arial']Brian, I had a chance to attend a screening of vintage 35mm dye-transfer reduction print that was approved by Ted McCord (the cinematographer) years ago which gave me an idea of the looks of The Sound of Music in term of its intended color-timing and density. From the DVDBaver screen captures, that rich, warm and beautiful golden glow, which was discarded and white-balanced out in all previous video incarnations, has finally returned to its full glory on this blu-ray edition. In a word, I’m very happy. [/FONT]

Interesting. Thanks.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard

Is the Target book just a scaled down version of the book included in the box set?

I don't know. The Target book is 24 pages of pictures, lyrics snippets, background on the Von Trapps, the movie, Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer, Rodgers and Hammerstein, Robert Wise, a song listing, and trivia. The 3 discs slide into cardboard holders.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
And I was looking into the Target deal and it looks like you can not buy it in-stores, on-line only. (?) I'd rather go to the store to buy it.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

And I was looking into the Target deal and it looks like you can not buy it in-stores, on-line only. (?) I'd rather go to the store to buy it.
<

???

I bought my copy in store this morning. The book version is all I could see on the shelves.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I know opinions will differ, but does the Target book seem worthwhile? And did I read above (or somewhere else) that the discs go into cardboard sleeves instead of on spindles?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

I know opinions will differ, but does the Target book seem worthwhile? And did I read above (or somewhere else) that the discs go into cardboard sleeves instead of on spindles?

It was worthwhile to me. And as I said above, the discs slide into sleeves.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

No, it just said "not in stores" because it wasn't in stock yet. I bought mine at a Target store this morning.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Steve and Brian for the info. I'll check out Target!

edit: Got both SoM and CCBB at a surprisingly great deal!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
What about the extras? Has anyone yet described them in more detail, as to what's retained (and dropped) from previous releases, and the new material? I want to narrow my copies down to two (I'll keep the laserdisc for the book and the CD).

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
No new posts since 4pm, I bet some people are watching The Sound of Music tonight (or maybe Chitty Bang Bang or River Kwai) hehe. I have to chime in here, because I have owned every edition of this movie ever released since the VHS Magnetic Video release. My box set came from Amazon this morning. I have to say, this being my favorite movie of all time, that I couldn't have asked for more. I have seen the movie just under 200 times, and I have NEVER seen details like I did tonight. The picture and sound quality are absolutely amazing! This is the best video transfer of any classic movie I have seen yet (South Pacific comes close, and next How the West was Won, IMHO). My hats off to the people at Fox especally Schawn B. (spelling?) for taking this trasure and doing it right after all these years and previous versions. Not only is the picture improved, but the soundtrack is taken from the 1st gen music masters, you will learn this in the short on restoring the sound on the extras disc. The masters were damaged but they had new technology to fix it, and it shows how they did it. Same with the picture.

ALL of the extras from every previous releases are included and many more new ones. My ONLY gripe with this set is that in the short on the sound restoration, they said they were able to restore the damaged music masters and voice masters (which were done separately) which they couldn't do for previous releases, which means the isolated score we had before was not 1st generation. Why didn't they offer the fixed isolated score 1st generation masters in a DTS MA track? Perhaps it would have cut down on the bitrate of the movie, and in that case I understand, but it would have been really nice to have that over the old Robert Wise/music tracks.

Alot of work went into this release, and all I can say to Fox on the job they did on my favorite movie of all time: HATS OFF, EXCELLENT!! SUPERB!! FANTASTIC! This is like watching and hearing it for the first time!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks