Talking Heads Once in a Lifetime - a 4 CD retrospective

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Friends,

I picked up this four disc greatest hits collection and I am really enjoying it so far. I will do more in-depth listening and share some further thoughts.

There are several rare tracks in this long rectangle book of a box set. The pictures and band member recollections are very interesting and at times insightful.

I was in college during their heyday and saw them perform a Stop Making Sense (this is the tour where they built the stage a musician or two at a time) concert in Charlottesville, Virginia from row 4 at University Hall. I had a blast and danced for most of the concert. When I hear certain tunes, it is a real trip down memory lane. Somehow UVAs student union signed them up right before Burning Down the House made them really famous. One of my punk friends turned me on to them when Brian Eno was assisting. I think Remain in Light is a classic influential album of its time.

Has anyone else picked it up yet and enjoyed it as well?

This is an early Christmas for me. [​IMG]

Highly recommended. [​IMG]

2. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Hi, Lee. Were the tracks remastered? If so, how do they sound? Are you able to compare them to the original CDs?
    Thanks.
    Doug

PS I saw the Heads during that tour, too (& the original Remain in Light tour w/ Adrian Belew). They were both memorable experiences.

3. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

I picked up the box set but have yet to listen.

I really would like to know why they thought garish pictures of naked people would make for good graphics on the box? The paintings are quite odd (and very explicit).

I also saw the Heads, twice at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ. I saw them on the "Fear of Music" tour, and then on the "Remain in Light" tour with Adrian Belew also. In fact one of the shows I was at is one of the album sides from "The Name of This Band Is The Talking Heads".

4. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

the tracks were indeed remastered and sound as good imho as they'll probably ever sound[unless they do sacd reissues of their albums]

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

6. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

Forget about the artwork -- this is the strangest box I've ever seen -- it's about 3 1/2" x 10". Not practical at all.

Set sounds great, though.

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
  8. GarySI

GarySI Stunt Coordinator

Is this the retrospective with the collection of videos? If this is the one I'll have to order it ASAP. I saw the Stop Making Sense tour at Forest Hill Tennis Stadium and it was stunning. I went down to the refreshment tent and the food vendors were dancing behind the counter. Being a Heads fan since seeing them at CBGB's in '77 I felt I was finally vindicated. Maybe the last time Americans listened and not just heard.

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

10. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    The Stop Making Sense live concert DVD is quite good. I had it playing when(not-so-hip-to-rock-music) relatives came over and no one could stop watching.

11. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

$60 seems like a lot of money to pay for redbook CD's that the buyer already owns (unless the remastering offers a huge leap forward). Maybe the naked pictures make it worthwhile? [​IMG]

The Talking Heads would sound great in SACD multi-channel or DVD-A. In fact, I can't think of an 80s band that would sound better.

12. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

The review of the box at allmusic.com suggests that the tracks have all been remastered and sound a lot better than on previous discs. That review also concurs with folks who find the packaging of the box extremely impractical.

Talking Heads/Tom Tom Club member Chris Frantz mentioned on one of the main TH messageboards a couple of months back that SACD/DVD-Audio remasters of the individual albums "are going to happen". My guess is that the box set is the first fruit of this remastering process and that we'll hopefully see hi-res editions of the band's back catalogue (I'd personally like to see hybrid SACD's) sometime this year.

I'm a fan but after some thought I've decided to wait for the individual remasters rather than getting the box. I'd probably buy all the band's albums up to REMAIN IN LIGHT and - in particular - a remastered edition of THE NAME OF THIS BAND IS TALKING HEADS, one of my favourite live albums and a disc I'm probably more keen to rehear than the later STOP MAKING SENSE.

13. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

if an SACD release is even a remote possibility, then i'll definately wait for that.

14. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

15. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

I'm fully aware that it's never been on CD before, and felt that a new hybrid CD/SACD master would be a 'remaster' over the previous LP and tape editions. Anyway, I'd love to be able to buy a decent version of it.

16. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

17. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

18. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

This is really great. My record player broke last year and I haven't been able to listen to "the name of..." recently and it's gotten me very antsy! Then again, listening to this album also makes me antsy, in a good, danceable sort of way. This is long, long overdue.

I was just listening to 'remain in light' this morning and then I happened upon this thread. Awesome!

s!

19. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

20. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee