What's new

Take a chance w/ Def Tech or something I can return? (1 Viewer)

Kelly

Grip
Currently have completed addition to home that includes family / media room. Room is 20x20 (not ideal I know). Currently have Bose AM 10 and realizing how bad these are, want to buy new. Have SVS sub already. Like Def Tech line (thinking of buying BP10 or BP30/clr2000/BP2x) but dealers have no return policy. I am concerned that when I get new speakers home, I am not going to hear enough improvement to justify the expense. Part of this may be due to the accoustics in the room. Some local dealers (HiFi Buys /Tweeter) that sell other speakers (Mirage, Klipsch, others) offer a "bring back for no question refund if you don't like" guarantee which I like. Should I take a chance with the Def Tech, or try Mirage first knowing that I can return if not impressed? I have heard that bad accoustics will cause the "turn it up (for detail) then turn it down because it is too loud" which I have blamed on my Bose. If I am going to experience this with other speakers as well, I might as well not replace what I have. What do you think?

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
If in doubt try to get something with a return policy. I feel however that any of the choices you have presented will be better than what you have.

How much better is a subjective matter and you room acoustics will. of course, have a big influence on any speakers playing in it.

There are inexpensive ways to tame problematic room problems, like heavily stuffed furniture, area rugs, large decorative pillows, etc.

Best regards.

John

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Kelly,

I am concerned that when I get new speakers home, I am not going to hear enough improvement to justify the expense. Part of this may be due to the acoustics in the room.
You are absolutely correct.

The speakers are the most important component in your system. The only way you can determine how a speaker will sound in your home is to listen to it in your home. Any reputable dealer should know these things.

Therefore I would not waste my time with any dealer that does not have a return policy for speakers, unless perhaps the speakers in question are being offered at a “too good to pass” price and you’re willing to take a gamble.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Kelly, what else have you listened to? Go listen to a variety of speakers. I don't know where these Def Tech fall price wise but there are other speakers as good or better for the money.

Give your price range and members of this board will be able to tell you at least half dozen quality speakers to listen to for yourself. The Def Techs, obviously a quantum leap over the Bose, may still be the right choice for you. But, if you don't listen to others how will you know for sure?

Cam S

Screenwriter
Nope, don't even bother looking at the Def Techs if they have no return policy! I have Klipsch Reference speakers and love them, so I highly recommend them. Go have a listen to the speakers that DO have a return policy.

Oh, and btw, ANYTHING will be a HUGE improvement over your Bose system.

KrisM

Second Unit
I have never heard the Def Techs, so I don't have opinion on them, but I agree with the others. If this dealer will not let you audition in your home, stay away. Any dealer worth anything knows the only way to judge speakers is in the room they will be used in.
Have you tried to explain your situation to the dealer? They may let take home a used/demo set of speakers and if you like them, then give you a brand new set.

Regards
KrisM

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I for one can tell you that the DefTechs are great for movies, and the bipolar sound often helps in 'challenged' rooms.

But go to the dealer and tell him you want to buy, but you insist on a written 30 day policy if he wants to make a sale. Many good audio stores will even loan out speakers and equipment because they all know it sounds different in your home than it does in the store.

And if you go with the def-techs, go with the BP30's because the woofers in the 2000 towers are not nearly as good as that one SVS. (My woofers are turned off as we speak in favor of my SVS :emoji_thumbsup: )

CurtisC

Second Unit
I just brought home the 2000tl's to compare to my klipsch rf7's.I had an opportunity to trade in rf7's for full price,I think I will keep the 7's.The 2000tl were good ,but not great,when I put rf7 on one side and 2000 on the other,I could hardly hear the 2000,the klisch were alive,2000's were laid back.I must say that this is only a music comparison,if you only listen to h/t,2000's not bad.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
when I put rf7 on one side and 2000 on the other,I could hardly hear the 2000
Thats a really bad way to compare speakers. Setting both speakers up and flipping between set A/B is a better test. But you need to change the volume control so they both give the same apparent volume.

The DefTechs are bipolar speakers. Each tower has 6 drivers (2 tweeters and 4 mid-ranges). The Klipsch has has 3 drivers. For the same setting on a volume knob, which one do you think is going to sound 'louder'?

To really shine, the DefTechs need to be pulled into the room about 3 feet from any rear-reflecting surface. The rear-sound delay is what gives 'depth' to the music. Just putting them 6 inches away from the back wall defeats the purpose of a bipolar speaker.

Kelly: This might be a buy/dont buy issue for you. The DefTechs are great, but really need to be pulled into the room to give you their full effect. If you cannot do this in your room, then you should focus on mono-pole (forward fireing) speakers.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
So buy used. You'll spend half what you would have if you bought new, and if it doesn't work out you'll only be out shipping.

CurtisC

Second Unit
I put the 2000's in all positions,I did not lug em' all the way home for nuttin'.To clarify I set 1 rf7 and 2000 on left and rf7 and 2000 on right.I a/b switched,then listened to each one at a time,just checking for sonic diff between same types.Then I listened to left and right with opposing speakers,just for fun,thus my statement,when I had rf7 on one side and 2000 on the other etc..POINT BEING the def tech sounded really good in a different way than the rf7,which I prefer.So make sure you can return as I will be doing,even though you may love em' and not need to.GOOD LUCK!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks