What's new

Table-top Widescreens (1 Viewer)

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a 43-48" rear-projection widescreen... Any idea which one gives you the best picture quality (brightness, sharpness, and contrast)? I am hoping that some of have already researched this a bit. Preferably between either Sony, Hitachi, or Mitsubishi.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I have a Mits WT-42311 42" table top and I couldn't be happier. It has 7" CRTs so the picture is very, very bright, even in a brightly lit room.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
Take a look at one of the newer technologies... DLP or LCD rear projection. They typically come in much smaller boxes for the size of the screen. A CRT rear projector will typically be much larger.

Samsung is the big name in DLP rear projection and Sony for LCD.

-Steve

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Jeff... RPTV's meant to sit on stands like the 46" sony, 42" Mitsu, and 43"/46" Hitachi's are called tabletop since they don't sit directly on the ground.

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator
What are the pros and cons of using a DLP/LCD device versus conventional CRTs? I know the newer ones cost more, of course.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I'll qualify this by saying that I have a Samsung HLN507W on order (DLP rear projection)....

Well, with DLP there's a couple of clear advantages that I found...

- Size and weight. For an equivalent screen size, you can get a much smaller and lighter enclosure.

- No "burn in" meaning you can watch 4x3 programs with the black bars on the side without fear of burning in the image in the middle. CRTs have burn-in issues.

- Fixed pixel display which can display natively at 720p.

I ordered it primarily because there was no way I could fit a CRT 50" in my small living room. Plus every time I see one I'm just blown away by the quality and brightness of the picture. And finally I love the idea that I've finally dumped the ancient technologies of NTSC and CRT.

LCD has similar advantages, but I didn't like the poor black levels and problems with stuck pixels. LCoS is another technology to look out for (Toshiba I think is championing this). The advantage there is higher resolution, but it's more expensive.

There's a ton of good information in this article.

-Steve

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
The new line of Mits have DVI connections, and the WT-42313 WT-42413 would fit nicely on most stands and even in some entertainment centers. Toshiba also has a new tabletop model, the 46h83. My local BB already has these in stock. I've only seen the Mits available online. Anyhow, since I have size restrictions, I am considering one of these 3. Anyone else have any thoughts on PQ of these?

Between a DLP/LCD I'd definately go with the DLP, and if I had $3000 plus to spend on a tv, I'd get the Samsung. They are bright, detailed, and as Steve said no burn in worries. Also less maintenence worries. Ah well, one day DLP will be priced where the CRTs are we'll all be happy.

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator
How 'bout Panasonic? How would you guys rate their quality against Mitsubishi and Hitachi?

Adam Hood

Auditioning
The panasonic is a good brand, but not near the quality of Mitsubishi's or Hitachi's. The 46" Toshiba is a great choice. Bigger TV, for less money then the Mitsubishi that Best Buy carries. The stand made for the Toshiba is available from online retailers, but not from Best Buy. We have a universal stand for 46" TV's that I think makes the TV sit a little too high for most consumers.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Adam, that stand you mention might be good for me because I am thinking of putting the Tosh 46" in the bedroom, and would be watching from the bed, which is higher than most beds. Do you have a brand and model # on that stand?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Darryl:

I saw a new Panasonic LCD 50 incher at Circuit City the other day that was great. And it was only $2,999. I also saw the 61 inch DLP Samsung and the Sony Grand WEGA 60 inch LCD but they were both in the 4,000+ range.

Overall I liked the picture of the Samsung the best but it was this last years' model and this years' model has the newer Mustang chip in it with a narrower case. The Sony was actually my least favorite.

The Panasonic actually looked great even with Standard Definition which for me is always a test on these units. Because any of them can look great if they are fed a high definition signal. If it still looks good with OTA or cable feeds then it is worth picking up.

Parker

Andy Stocker

Stunt Coordinator
I went to Sears looking at RPTV's and I saw the Mitsu wt-42313 but they didn't have it hooked up. If I decide to get this set I will not have to destroy my entertainment center so that would be good, and they only wanted 1500 for it...you say its a good tv? I've been looking at the Toshiba 42" or a bigger Sony 46" but I'm just wondering if the Mitsu wt42313 is lacking anything that bigger projection tv's offer.

Thanks for any help,

Andy STocker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks