T2 vs. T2:Ultimate Edition

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Larkin, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I've been meaning to pick up Terminator 2 on recommendations of its picture and sound quality. Can anyone else confirm this?

Also, is there a difference (besides extras) between the regular and Ultimate Editions?

For the record, Best Buy will be selling T2 for $4.99 this weekend.

2. HankM

HankM Second Unit

The Ultimate Edition features 3 versions of the film. The theatrical cut, director's cut and a special 3min longer director's cut which is not listed on the box and is easy to access. Dolby Digital & DTS sound a and about 6 hrs of extras. Picture & sound are terrific. Way better than the original theatrical dvd IMO.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The only items of consequence lost with the switch to the ultimate edition are extra language options and DVS for the visually impaired, if those are important to you.

Regards,

4. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

The 5.1 soundtracks on the ULTIMATE EDITION sound punchier (better).

I have both editions.

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

6. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

7. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

I've owned both versions.

UE is a steal at $19.

They could sell the original for $1 unless you really aren't a fan of the film, by the UE. It really is the Ultimate Edition.

I remember when $19 was a discount price for a DVD!

Doug

8. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Definently get the Ultimate Edition it is a steal at $19 with three cuts of the movie plus a DTS track.

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Others must have already mentioned this, being that I am the 9th poster, the biggest difference other than extras has to be the sound. Both the DD and dts tracks are light years ahead in sound. The old version sounded like a DD5.0 soundtrack. The new one has some real LFE plus the surrounds have been "boosted" in various parts. It sounds like a completely different soundtrack. Also, the new disk has some neat DD and dts trailers.

10. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    No contest! The 'T2 UE' buries the original release in both content and presentation. And yes, as Jerry stated, the UE is definatly more generous in the low end department, and of course you have both DD EX and DTS ES if your equipped for them, if not, both 5.1 tracks rock!
    To this day the 'T2 UE' has no equal, it is THE definition of the term "special edition".

11. Mark Gurney

Mark Gurney Stunt Coordinator

As far as picture quality, I do not believe that there is a difference between the two versions (same transfer, but I could be wrong). As for the audio, the Ultimate Edition contains all new DD and DTS tracks, which are fantastic.

As for the extras, it seems like you weren't interested, but you should be with the Ultimate Edition. The commentary tracks, featurettes and other never ending extras are pretty cool and well worth the $20 you'll pay for it. In my opinion, you should not even consider purchasing the original release, even though Best Buy is selling it for a irresistable price of $5.

Go with the Ultimate Edition, you will not be dissapointed.

12. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

The picture quality is spades better on the UE.