What's new

T2 vs. T2:Ultimate Edition (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I've been meaning to pick up Terminator 2 on recommendations of its picture and sound quality. Can anyone else confirm this?

Also, is there a difference (besides extras) between the regular and Ultimate Editions?

For the record, Best Buy will be selling T2 for $4.99 this weekend.

HankM

Second Unit
The Ultimate Edition features 3 versions of the film. The theatrical cut, director's cut and a special 3min longer director's cut which is not listed on the box and is easy to access. Dolby Digital & DTS sound a and about 6 hrs of extras. Picture & sound are terrific. Way better than the original theatrical dvd IMO.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The only items of consequence lost with the switch to the ultimate edition are extra language options and DVS for the visually impaired, if those are important to you.

Regards,

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
They are remixed to include a center surround channel.
They must have done a little more than that.

There's more bass punch and better high frequencies on the UE vs the original release. On my set-up, anyway.

Overall, a more involving soundtrack on the UE.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I've owned both versions.

UE is a steal at $19.

They could sell the original for $1 unless you really aren't a fan of the film, by the UE. It really is the Ultimate Edition.

I remember when $19 was a discount price for a DVD!

Doug

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Definently get the Ultimate Edition it is a steal at $19 with three cuts of the movie plus a DTS track.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Others must have already mentioned this, being that I am the 9th poster, the biggest difference other than extras has to be the sound. Both the DD and dts tracks are light years ahead in sound. The old version sounded like a DD5.0 soundtrack. The new one has some real LFE plus the surrounds have been "boosted" in various parts. It sounds like a completely different soundtrack. Also, the new disk has some neat DD and dts trailers.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
No contest! The 'T2 UE' buries the original release in both content and presentation. And yes, as Jerry stated, the UE is definatly more generous in the low end department, and of course you have both DD EX and DTS ES if your equipped for them, if not, both 5.1 tracks rock!
To this day the 'T2 UE' has no equal, it is THE definition of the term "special edition".

Mark Gurney

Stunt Coordinator
As far as picture quality, I do not believe that there is a difference between the two versions (same transfer, but I could be wrong). As for the audio, the Ultimate Edition contains all new DD and DTS tracks, which are fantastic.

As for the extras, it seems like you weren't interested, but you should be with the Ultimate Edition. The commentary tracks, featurettes and other never ending extras are pretty cool and well worth the $20 you'll pay for it. In my opinion, you should not even consider purchasing the original release, even though Best Buy is selling it for a irresistable price of $5.

Go with the Ultimate Edition, you will not be dissapointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks