What's new

Sympathy For The Devil 5.1 SACD (1 Viewer)

Tom Foley

Stunt Coordinator
What a revelation this SACD is! I picked it up today as it had a $3 coupon for Stones SACDs inside (which I promptly ripped out and used!). I really wasn't interested in the re-mixes, since I already heard the Neptunes re-mix and was pretty underwhelmed.

But the best is saved for last. The original recording in 5.1, and all I can say is - What about the rest of the catalog?! The thing that grabs me the most is the separation of the percussion - so much more present and realistic than the 2.0 SACD. The center channel is used very effectively for congas and vocals. There's a new surprising aspect, it seems, to each new verse - another element of percussion, the bass, guitar. They each are given much more room to breathe on the soundstage. And yet another surprise at the end with the vocal echo applied to the surrounds, very liberally used but not to any cheesy extent. The only part I had an issue with was the lead guitar solo - it seems slightly muffled and "stuck" compared with the rest of the music. But it's certainly not a complaint.

I say it's a no brainer for any Stones fan with SACD to pick this up. Look at the math this way - you pick up a Stones SACD at regular price and you get the SFTD EP for $2.99. Even without the remixes it's a hell of a deal. Just be prepared to deal with retailers that have no idea what the coupon is - it looks like a travelers check (it's called MusicCash). As per the coupon, most of the big retailers are signed on to accept the coupon, so calmly inform them of that.

I listened to SFTD on my new Pioneer universal HTiB. Those with high-end gear should REALLY enjoy this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks