What's new

Switch for multi channel SACD & DVD-A.... (1 Viewer)

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I know that a few people here are using the Radio shack switch (and I brought this up in a thread in december, but I thought I would ask again to see if anything new has come out (CES), or how people like what they have). So.

1. do you like the RS unit(s)?? (btw,what is the part #)

2. Is anything else new out there (Yet)??

3. Are there any alternatives. (except the sony unit)

4. If you have the RS unit, do you hear any degradation in sound (In other words, if you are using good interconnects and hook it up to this, does it defeat the purpose of the good interconnects??)

I will be switching and adding a few things this week and want to know whats up before I add this to my list of "things to do" while I have my whole system torn apart.

Thanx

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I used a couple of Radiko Shack A/V switches and they worked fine. I don't use that solution any more since I got new separates.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rodney, I use the Radio Shack switch boxes, and they work very well. For $30 for two of them, you can't go wrong. The part number is 15-1952. Good luck.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I wish that Outlaw would offer an upgraded version of their ICBM outboard bass management component to provide two multi-channel inputs with switching. It would be a great solution for both (1) bass management for DVD-Audio/SACD and (2) switching for people with separate DVD-Audio and SACD players.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I wouldn't be surprised if Outlaw were looking into a next-generation ICBM that would do exactly what you describe. It is disappointing that they missed the boat, so to speak, on the current ICBM, but hopefully, they will address the need for two sets of multi-channel inputs on a later model. One could always send an e-mail message to Outlaw customer service to see if they are at least open to or are already considering the idea. And no, I am not volunteering to compose such an e-mail message. ;)

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
keith, it looks like they are not longer avail or have been discontinued (this is the message that I got at the web site), my guess is that they still make them but demand has gone way up (relatively) by consumers and retailers who want to demo both multichannel-SACD and DVD-a with the same pre/pro or receiver.

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
As the guy who first suggested using radio-shack switches I've been keeping an eye out for a better option. One, more pricey option, which I have not tried yet, is to get a pair of "RCA Video Source Selectors" from www.mcmelectronics.com. I just got this month's catalog and they are on sale for $70 each ($5 off). They have a lot more inputs than the radio-shack switches, so in that department they are over-kill. But they can be controlled by your IR remote - you teach them the signal to initiate a switch - which is a lot nicer than having to get up and click the switches on the radio-shack boxes.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rod,
That's odd. It is a basic controller that was not designed for those of us crazy enough about audio to have both DVD-Audio and SACD players. ;) Therefore, I would not expect Radio Shack to discontinue it, unless they are replacing it with something similar or better. Check some Radio Shack stores in their area. I got mine at a local store. Best of luck.
Jah-Wren said:
they can be controlled by your IR remote - you teach them the signal to initiate a switch
That's fine if you use a universal remote. Not everyone does. I don't.
In a cursory look at mcmelectronics.com I could not find the switch boxes you saw in the catalog. Do you need two of them for DVD-Audio and SACD like the Radio Shack boxes? If so, that's $140. I'd rather spend $30 to get two Radio Shack boxes, and I did. Sure, I have to get up to switch between sources, but I don't sit a mile away from the equipment rack, and it's only two switches. Not a big deal, and definitely worth dealing with given the low price. Most importantly, for a mere $30, the Radio Shack boxes impart no sound degradation. I'd rather have the $110 saved for DVD-Audio discs, SACDs, or other things.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I think they redesign the plastic on the outside of these switches every couple years. I know they don't make mine any more.

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
Just noticed these 5.1 switchboxes available for about $200. Also has an IR remote option.
Link Removed

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
Keith - the mcm boxes learn from your remote, so a learning remote is not required. As for it being a better option than the RS switches - Rodney was pretty clearly looking for alternatives to the RS switches that's why I mentioned them.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't the Sony TA-P9000ES? suppose to do the two multichannel input thing?

geo

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Guys, thanxs for your help. I am looking for the best bargin but also a decent product. In other words if someone made a very very nice switch with a remote for a couple hundred dollars and it looked like a normal piece of audio equipt made with a nice alumin box, I would get it, but since that other thing looks as bad or worse than the RS unit, I think it is a little overpriced (labor and not made in China have a lot to do with it, but is looks as bad as the RS unit, so I will prob just try and find the RS unit until a real one comes out Under $200 or so)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Geo, the TA-P9000ES is designed to be used with a digital pre-amp, not a receiver. At least that is what I have read.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Geo, the TA-P9000ES is designed to be used with a digital pre-amp, not a receiver. At least that is what I have read.
This is incorrect.

The TAP can be used as a stand alone pre or added to any

system that has pre outs.

Even if you only have stereo front L&R pre outs.

in that case you would now have analog 5.1 ins and outs

to be used with SACD or DVD-A.

I added this to my B&K Ref 30.

Now I have three analog 5.1 inputs.

Two of these can be used without the need to even

turn on the B&K, to do this you need a DVD-A or SACD

player that offers you some bass management/speaker setup.

Like the newer sony's.

The built in by-pass mode of the tap adds a nice convene.

The TAP also gives you the extra analog two channel input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks