What's new

Yamaha RX-V4600 (1 Viewer)

podiumman

Auditioning
Real Name
David Burgess
I have had a problem not really with this receiver, but with my Pioneer DV-563A DVD player which also does SACD and DVD-A. The problem has been that I'm not getting much output from the sub output of this when using the built in multi channel decoder, which of course you have to do for the high rez formats.

I'm wondering if there might be a solution lurking in my receiver, to wit:

It occurred to me, that maybe the best thing to do is to go into the setup menu of the Pioneer and just switch off the sub output altogether, assuming then that the bass and LFE would be rerouted to the main L/R front outputs and that the Yamaha would itself route the bass tones to the sub.

I did it, but I'm not sure it worked, I'm getting much less action from the sub (hard to tell if there's any, really, since the woofer vibrates some in sympathy with the sound waves from the main speakers [I'm gently feeling the cone to see how much it's working]) than compared to the sound in the DVD video mode (which, since it comes into the receiver via the optical cable - the Yamaha is doing all the work of splitting the sub signal from the rest).

One thing I'm wondering is whether or not, in my multi-channel input mode, my Yamaha really does split out bass signals from the main L/R front inputs and sends them to the sub.

The manual says it does not mix down for missing inputs or speakers, but then again, in the speaker setup for the receiver, it has a choice of routing bass/LFE through both main and sub. Question is, in this mode, does it mix down (mix up?) and send bass to the sub?

If anyone knows, again my Yamaha is a model RX-V4600

podiumman

Auditioning
Real Name
David Burgess
On a related topic, but having to do probably with home theater setup in general as well as specifcially the Yamaha RX-V4600 is the following question:

If your receiver has setup for speaker installation, should you set everything in the DVD player to large speakers and let the receiver sort out crossover points, or should you set both the DVD and receiver to small speakers for surrounds, center, etc?

Also, both have set up for speaker distance; my Yamaha sets distance (ostensibly) automatically with the YPAO, so should I set the DVD player to zero distance (right now the default distance on the pioneer is ten feet)?

In this case, the DVD also has SACD and DVD-A and I'm using the player's analog multichannel out.

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
podiumman, I have a Yammie RXV 630. I don't know how close that is to your 4600. I also have a Pioneer 588 (also does sacd/dvda).

My manual says that the 630 has three LFE choices, one of which is "Main". If "Main" is chosen in the "1E Bass" (LFE/bass out mode), then all LFE signals are directed to the main speakers. You should not use this setting if you have a subwoofer.

It is unclear to me in your post if you even have/use this as your setting. You said, "it has a choice of routing bass/LFE through both main and sub."

Good luck, Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks