What's new

Hook 2 av receivers together for maximum number of speakers (1 Viewer)

Avtaxiretired

Auditioning
Real Name
Wayne osten
Have an old pioneer receiver (47 txi)with multi channel inputs and a more modern Yamaha receiver( rx a850. How to hook the two together for maximum no of speakers... Thank you

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Both units are 7-channel models. However, the Pioneer seems to have a more robust amplifier section, as indicated by the fact that it weighs nearly three times what the Yamaha does. So it might be worthwhile to use the Pioneer as an outboard power amplifier, via the 7.1 channel analog inputs.

I suppose you could also hook up speakers to the Yamaha, which would then give you 14 speakers, if that’s really what you’re after.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Avtaxiretired

Auditioning
Real Name
Wayne osten
Hi Wayne... Thanks for the reply.. Just don't know how to do this anymore.. Would it be possible to give more detailed instructions please

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm trying to wrap my head around it, but not 100% sure of what you want to do.

If I reading right -- i assume you want to do this in a single room and make be a normal 7 channel surround sound (Fr L/R, C, Back L/R, Side L/R + Sub) and then add another 6-7 height/effects Atmos speakers ending up with something like a 7.1.6 setup

You're not trying to do separate rooms

If the former, I'm not 100% sure I see a way to do what I think you want to do even if you have some sort of major league preamp to do the signal processing and decodes and distribute the 14 channels of infomation. The Yamaha can do a normal 7.1, but I don't see a way to output the 6 Atmos signals even if it could create those channels.
If you're using a Pre-amp with 7.1.6 capability, then it would seem you would need pre-amp/Audio in's on both receivers to route the signals to use the combined 14 Amplifiers of the receivers (the Pioneer does appear to have Multi-channel inputs, the Yamaha doesn't appear to have that capability)

I'm way out of practice with the whole Separates esp with the newest Surround Formats so maybe there;s a way to get the signals to the amplifier sections of the receivers.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You really need to explain what you mean by "maximum no of speakers". These receivers only process seven channels. An enhanced Dolby Digital with the Pioneer and a very basic Atmos with the Yamaha. You can add a bunch of speakers to that by duplicating channels, but that's not going to gain you anything, other than muddy sound.

So, what is your goal?

Avtaxiretired

Auditioning
Real Name
Wayne osten
Hi Wayne... Thanks for the reply.. Just don't know how to do this anymore.. Would it be possible to give more detailed instructions
You really need to explain what you mean by "maximum no of speakers". These receivers only process seven channels. An enhanced Dolby Digital with the Pioneer and a very basic Atmos with the Yamaha. You can add a bunch of speakers to that by duplicating channels, but that's not going to gain you anything, other than muddy sound.

So, what is your goal?

Avtaxiretired

Auditioning
Real Name
Wayne osten
Hi Wayne... Thanks for the reply.. Just don't know how to do this anymore.. Would it be possible to give more detailed instructions
Wanted to have 4 suround surround speakers, and two presence speakers along with lcr speakers. Plus 2 bass shakers.. Thanks for everyone's replies

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Your receivers only create seven channels. You can’t get nine channels from them. You can rig them to connect all the speakers you want to, but there can only be seven actual channels.

I don’t know how else to explain it. If you want nine, or eleven or thirteen channels, you need a receiver or preamp that can produce that many channels. The ones you have can only produce seven.

Avtaxiretired

Auditioning
Real Name
Wayne osten
Thanks. What i want to do is connect 2 speakers to one channel but using one receiver for each speaker.. Is this even possible???

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Are you wanting to do this for all the channels (i.e. for a total of 10+ speakers), or just one of the channels? If the latter, which channel?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The Yamaha has RCA pre-amp outputs for five of its seven channels. There are outputs for the Surround channels, but not the Surround Back channels.

The Pioneer has 7.1 multi-channel inputs. These inputs allow direct access to the unit’s internal amplifiers, so it can be used as a stand-alone power amplifier.

So – you can connect two surround speakers to the Yamaha, as you probably have now. You can also connect the Yamaha’s Surround pre-amp RCA outputs to two of the Pioneer’s multi-channel inputs. Probably best to use the two front L/R channels, and connect your two additional speakers to the L/R speaker terminals. Select the Multi-channel input on the Pioneer, and adjust its volume control as needed.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks