What's new

Swashbucklers, Pirates and Sword & Vengence Epics - Which titles are you Needing in your collection? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Hoping that now that WAC is on a roll that some of these titles can be given some love and restoration.Really it's a win win for us all, they get to update and preserve thier catalog, and we get BD titles that will bring us much joy!!! All good things comes to those who wait, and faster if you let others know what that is, So...
There are many of the WB archives that were released in thier "Archives" series, pressed on to DVD-Rs, yet were never given the opportinity for a decent 2K or 4K restoration upgrade. Just some of those titles for me are:
Warner Bros Pictures - Archive Collection (mostly*)
1. Scaramouche - Steward Grainger, Janet Lee - 1952*
2. At Swords Point - Cornel Wilde, Maureen O'Hara - 1952*
3. The Prince and the Pauper - Errol Flynn - 1937*
4. Captain Blood - Errol Flynn - 1935*
5. Kidnapped - Roddy McDowall - 1948*
6. The Flame and the Arrow - Burt Lancaster, Virginia Mayo - 1950
7. the Crimson Pirate - Burt Lancaster, Nick Cravat - 1952 (Paramount Pictures)
8. The Buccaneer - Fredric March, Walter Brennan, Anothy Quinn - 1938 (olive remaster)
9. Blackbeard the Pirate - Robert Newton, Linda Darnell - 1952*
10. The Count of Monte Cristo - Robert Donat, Elissa Landi - 1934*
11. The Corican Brothers - Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Ruth Warrick - 1941*
12. Sinbad the Sailor - Doulas Fairbanks Jr, Maureen O'Harra, Anthony Quinn, Walter Slesak*

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Hoping that now that WAC is on a roll that some of these titles can be given some love and restoration.Really it's a win win for us all, they get to update and preserve thier catalog, and we get BD titles that will bring us much joy!!! All good things comes to those who wait, and faster if you let others know what that is, So...
There are many of the WB archives that were released in thier "Archives" series, pressed on to DVD-Rs, yet were never given the opportinity for a decent 2K or 4K restoration upgrade. Just some of those titles for me are:
Warner Bros Pictures - Archive Collection (mostly*)
1. Scaramouche - Steward Grainger, Janet Lee - 1952*
2. At Swords Point - Cornel Wilde, Maureen O'Hara - 1952*
3. The Prince and the Pauper - Errol Flynn - 1937*
4. Captain Blood - Errol Flynn - 1935*
5. Kidnapped - Roddy McDowall - 1948*
6. The Flame and the Arrow - Burt Lancaster, Virginia Mayo - 1950
7. the Crimson Pirate - Burt Lancaster, Nick Cravat - 1952 (Paramount Pictures)
8. The Buccaneer - Fredric March, Walter Brennan, Anothy Quinn - 1938 (olive remaster)
9. Blackbeard the Pirate - Robert Newton, Linda Darnell - 1952*
10. The Count of Monte Cristo - Robert Donat, Elissa Landi - 1934*
11. The Corican Brothers - Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Ruth Warrick - 1941*
12. Sinbad the Sailor - Doulas Fairbanks Jr, Maureen O'Harra, Anthony Quinn, Walter Slesak*
Best shot is Captain Blood and Scaramouche and Sinbad the Sailor Captain Blood is the shocker that still no announcement it is airing on TCM one day this week if a new master it might mean yes for Blu Ray and TCM has it first

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Best shot is Captain Blood and Scaramouche and Sinbad the Sailor Captain Blood is the shocker that still no announcement it is airing on TCM one day this week if a new master it might mean yes for Blu Ray and TCM has it first
You might be right, I think Mr F. is a big swashbuckling adaventure films guy, it must be so satisfying to be able to be in the direct links in providing us with such amazing films. And the joy of knowing that he and his team of restoration artists had a hand in helping in the strewardship of the WB archival holdings.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Scaramouche is a lightweight movie, not worthy. Captain Blood is availble to stream in HD. My vote goes to Captain Horatio Hornblower and Northwest Passage (they look like pirates) before WBA tackle any in the list.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Scaramouche is a lightweight movie, not worthy. Captain Blood is availble to stream in HD. My vote goes to Captain Horatio Hornblower and Northwest Passage (they look like pirates) before WBA tackle any in the list.
Scaramouche is stunning color now and would be a knockout restored and Granger's best - with King Solomon's Mines a close second Northwest Passage should be coming too Captain Blood is COMING!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Scaramouche is stunning color now and would be a knockout restored and Granger's best - with King Solomon's Mines a close second Northwest Passage should be coming too Captain Blood is COMING!
Yup, with the talk of coming 3-strip Technicolor movies I'll be very disappointed if we don't get Scaramouche this year. I have the DVD & that looks stunning, just think how great a Blu-ray would look (I have the French DVD which also contains the 1923 silent version, but I've never looked at it & probably never will).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This is international, but in Europe on April 24th, Studio Canal are releasing 4K versions of Richard Lester's The Three Musketeers (1973) & The Four Musketeers (1974) from a new 4K scan, & these films really needed it, as the current Blu-rays look pretty grim. No doubt these releases are to tie in with the release of the new big budget French Musketeers films (two films, just like Lester's) opening in April & at the end of the year.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ha, I rather think it's in the nature of swashbucklers to be lightweight, I mean Ingmar Bergman never made any. We all have our favourites, I'd love Scaramouche, but I wouldn't buy Captain Blood, I saw it once & it just didn't do it for me, but I'd love any other swashbucklers with Errol Flynn, like The Master Of Ballantrae (1953), made only 18 years after Captain Blood, but Errol Flynn looks about 60 years older (all that booze), but he still has all his old charm.

Captain Horatio Hornblower has been released in Germany on Blu-ray (also Spain, but that could be a dodgy release).

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Yup, with the talk of coming 3-strip Technicolor movies I'll be very disappointed if we don't get Scaramouche this year. I have the DVD & that looks stunning, just think how great a Blu-ray would look (I have the French DVD which also contains the 1923 silent version, but I've never looked at it & probably never will).
the silent is always a nice bonus feature, shows a little class...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This is international, but in Europe on April 24th, Studio Canal are releasing 4K versions of Richard Lester's The Three Musketeers (1973) & The Four Musketeers (1974) from a new 4K scan, & these films really needed it, as the current Blu-rays look pretty grim. No doubt these releases are to tie in with the release of the new big budget French Musketeers films (two films, just like Lester's) opening in April & at the end of the year.

Thanks for the tip! I look forward to reviews. I've been waiting a long-g-g time for a decent transfer of these films. They are now in my shopping cart awaiting news of image and sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks