What's new

Swashbucklers, Pirates and Sword & Vengence Epics - Which titles are you Needing in your collection? (1 Viewer)

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
It's came out in April but people are saying it isn't much of an improvement over the DVD.
Criterion has the regular DVD available.

71X8CowKnoL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It's came out in April but people are saying it isn't much of an improvement over the DVD.
Criterion has the regular DVD available.

71X8CowKnoL._AC_SY445_.jpg
Sad that some companies will just drop the DVD on to BRD without doing anything ot the film of audio elements!! That's why I'm always causuos before buying a new BDrelease, thanks for the heads up!!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
in serchng the various actors that played Long John Silver, I had never seen the 1972 version with Orson Welles, anyone else??

Attachments

• 518yzJ4A5YL.jpg
    518yzJ4A5YL.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 24

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Just saw this, a bit late to the party!!! Code Red has revealed that it is preparing a Blu-ray release of Don Weis' film The King's Pirate (1967), starring Doug McClure, Jill St. John, Guy Stockwell, Mary Ann Mobley, and Kurt Kasznar. The release, which will be distributed by Kino Lorber, is expected to arrive on the market early next year. (2022)

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Just saw this, a bit late to the party!!! Code Red has revealed that it is preparing a Blu-ray release of Don Weis' film The King's Pirate (1967), starring Doug McClure, Jill St. John, Guy Stockwell, Mary Ann Mobley, and Kurt Kasznar. The release, which will be distributed by Kino Lorber, is expected to arrive on the market early next year. (2022)
Isn't this the remake (with stock footage) of Universal's AGAINST ALL FLAGS (1950) that originally starred Errol Flynn & Maureen O'Hara?:

EDIT:
Clicked on the press release and I answered my own question. YES, it is !

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'd love to have someone release a decent Blu-ray of SWASHBUCKLER, with director or (surviving) cast commentary. I think it has always been severely denegrated and hugely underrated. A helluva lot of fun!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I'd love to have someone release a decent Blu-ray of SWASHBUCKLER, with director or (surviving) cast commentary. I think it has always been severely denegrated and hugely underrated. A helluva lot of fun!
Agreed, nice cast and a fun romp!! I have the Greman BRD...the ones I'm amazed that are still MIA are the Burt Lancaster movies The Crimson Pirate and The Flame and the Arrow!!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
For something a little less serious, I would love to see a BD of this "swashbuckler":

View attachment 116604

I had to really look The Princess and Pirate up because I could have sworn Kino put it out a couple years ago. But nope. This was produced by Sam Goldwyn and released by MGM, so I guess it belongs to Warners now? I checked it on Amazon Prime--they have an acceptable copy but it's not up to Warner Archives standards. Needs a little work. This movie was a favorite of my parents who would put it on every time it aired. And off-topic for this thread but while we're talking about Bob Hope films, I hope Paramount notices that Fancy Pants hasn't been put on blu yet either.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I had to really look The Princess and Pirate up because I could have sworn Kino put it out a couple years ago. But nope. This was produced by Sam Goldwyn and released by MGM, so I guess it belongs to Warners now? I checked it on Amazon Prime--they have an acceptable copy but it's not up to Warner Archives standards. Needs a little work. This movie was a favorite of my parents who would put it on every time it aired. And off-topic for this thread but while we're talking about Bob Hope films, I hope Paramount notices that Fancy Pants hasn't been put on blu yet either.
And let me put in a plug for Bob Hope's CASANOVA'S BIG NIGHT as a Blu-ray release. The standard DVD looks gorgeous and a Blu-ray would look spectacular. CASANOVA fits into the "swashbuckler" spoof category with a killer cast including Joan Fontaine, Audrey Dalton, Basil Rathbone, Raymond Burr, Lon Chaney, John Carradine and an unbilled Vincent Price as the real Casanova.
IMO it's the last great Bob Hope comedy.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Isn't this the remake (with stock footage) of Universal's AGAINST ALL FLAGS (1950) that originally starred Errol Flynn & Maureen O'Hara?:

EDIT:
Clicked on the press release and I answered my own question. YES, it is !
Yeah, it's a diffent take and Jill St John is amazing in this!!

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yeah, it's a diffent take and Jill St John is amazing in this!!

I have never care much for the The King's Pirate. It's one of those 1960's Universal programmers that looks like a TV movie (Guy Stockwell seems to always turn up in them as well). However, as you say, Jill St. John is extremely easy on the eyes in this movie and she would look great in HD.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I have never care much for the The King's Pirate. It's one of those 1960's Universal programmers that looks like a TV movie (Guy Stockwell seems to always turn up in them as well). However, as you say, Jill St. John is extremely easy on the eyes in this movie and she would look great in HD.
I can enjoy both versions, I'm glad that it was the Errol Flynn Maureen O'Hara version that got the BRD edition...it would make a great 2 pack release, to see the strengths and weaknesses of these fun little romps...I think Anthony Quinn was great ans Flynns antaginist!! And of course the Firey Maureen stole the scenes as well!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Another is the 1947 technicolor joy ride...Sinbad the Sailor, nice cast!! And a young Anthony Quinn as the antaganist!! Bombs away!!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
this is the first sound Zorro and if PD someone should give some love to this piece of film history.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Louis Hayward, from the Iron Mask classic in a. not so classic but fun adventure Captain Pirate, from 1952.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Another floundering film is another technicolor adventuer woth Robert Newton and Lins Darnell, still has it. I remember her in the Mark of Zorro, with Tyrone Power...wonderful!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks