What's new

Svs (1 Viewer)

Jefferson G

Auditioning
***I apologize about the horrible topic name -- I was too excited to see some results and forgot to go back and rename it***
I posted topic about a week or so ago, here, and picked up a JBL S-Center and 2 JBL S36s. Needless to say, after replacing my satellites that noticed only 100-20,000, I was very pleased with my purchase. My wife, who is very tentative about spending any amount of money even chimed in to voice her approval.
So I'm testing out my new speakers on all my favorite movies, even turned down the sub to enjoy them more. While testing these new speakers I heard a very suspective *POP* from the sub. Subsequently I now receive nothing from it. The sub I own is a Pioneer SV-105 (not sure on the Alpha prefix) a self-powered 100 W sub with a range of 35 -20,000.
Now, the warranty on the sub has expired and I have recieved again "authorization" to purchase a new sub, however, I was given the allowance of only $400. I began to research and heard some decent things about Klipsch, Velodyne, JBL, Sony, ect. Then I came across this thread: "What sub did you own before you bought SVS/Hsu?". Edward J M wrote a reply that has made me bound and determined that I must feed my fervor by purchasing one of these coveted SVS subs.
Two models caught my eye: the 25-31CS (Sub Only), and the 25-31PCi. I have two questions and both are centering around the 25-31CS. I have no clue about seperate Amps and was wanting some linkage and some prices on some of the more affordable and acceptable models. Second, would I be better off pricewise and performance-wise by just saving and purchasing the 25-31PCi? Also some first-hand experience with this sub is always welcome.
Room is (HxWxD): 10x13x20 and is an apartment which may need special consideration when concerning a bass.
Thanks ahead and I appreciate all comments, constructive and deconstructive.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
If you want SVS type performance on the cheap, the options are DIY sonosub or the 25-31 CS with an external amp. Do you have an old stereo amp or receiver laying around ? A $50 Ebay or garage sale relic will do a very good job as long as it has a little power. The nice thing about the PCI is the tidyness, but with a tough budget meister, a kludgey system with some old 60's Sansui or Pioneer receiver powering the sub is the way to go. The features that a dedicated "sub amp" has are all relatively unimportant if $ is tight.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
… some first-hand experience with this sub is always welcome.
I originally pre-ordered my SVS 25-31PCi, waited for it to come and it was definitely worth the wait! You can read my subjective (Video Essential REF Calibrated) SVS 25-31PCi review in this 4/12/02 - HT Forum thread. My last post on 8/20/02 in the same thread updates my REFERENCE Calibration figures - which I'm still using now.
This next review includes subjective comments & objective results w/graphs, ... basically confirming my above subjective experiences documented above...
SVS 25-31 PCi Powered Subwoofer December, 2002 Product Review by John E. Johnson, Jr.
Let me say that everything I wrote in my above link April 2002 review still stands!!! I still smile every time I watch any newly purchased or owned DVD (i.e. Spiderman; Star Wars - Attack of the Clones; xXx – this Friday NITE DVD presentation
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif
; etc.) with my usual once or twice a month Friday NITE DVD family / friends group, ... when my overall DD/DTS-5.1 surround system seamlessly adds visceral impact to the blockbuster DVD movie action on my 50" 16:9 Toshiba HDTV screen!
Whatever sub you decide to purchase, take the time to locate and calibrate your sub, if it's done just right, . . .it's capable of pulling you into the sound and the story by moving the air, walls, floor under your chair/couch, and giving you the natural decay that comes with powerful low-frequency information.
Phil

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Jefferson:

I'm flattered one of my posts convinced you to purchase an SVS product. I doubt you will regret your decision - like Phil (above) my 20-39PC+ continues to impress and amaze me.

Anyway, the difference in price between the 25-31CS and the 25-31PCi is $170.

For $170 you get a 320W Indigo BASH amp with high and low level inputs, a 0/180 phase switch, a variable low-pass filter for high level input, and a filter bypass switch for low level LFE input, an auto-on feature, a detachable power cord, and a replaceable fuse.

You would be hard pressed to find a sub amp with this power level and this many features for $170 - all custom installed no less. SVS spent a lot of time matching the power characteristics and features of this amp to the PCi line, and I would think twice about second guessing their choice of amplifier for the Improved Standard Driver.

As an alternative, there is a decent 250W class AB subwoofer plate amp with similar features from Parts Express for around $120. BUT now you have to find a spot for it somewhere, and then mount it, and then run the speaker wire.

For a single CS, I wouldn't even consider a used stereo amp - it won't come close to the features and the 4 ohm power of the Parts Express unit.

For dual 25-31CS units, the Samson S700 would be a fine choice at 350WPC into 4 ohms. But you're talking more money at this point and an unused channel unless you plan on dual subs for sure.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks