What's new

SVS question: I'm a bit out of the loop (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I have an older 25-31CS sub (single port at the top), and know that at some point a driver upgrade has been offered for SVS subs. I'm wondering if there is an upgrade for the 25-31, and how to tell if I have the older driver vs a newer one.

I've been kind of out of the loop on what the SVS boys have been up to- so anyone who could fill me in a bit on what tweaks might be available for this unit, it would be much appreciated.

-vince

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Hi Vince:

The Improved Standard Driver (ISD) has been shipping with CS and PCi subs since December 18 of 2001. It is a significant improvement in power handling, resistance to bottoming, and max SPL (2-3 dB) over what was already a very decent original driver.

If you aren't sure of the time frame, send SVS the serial number, and they will tell you which driver your 25-31CS has.

The upgrade is $129 and takes about 10 minutes to swap. Go here for more details.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/parts_woofer_isd.htm

Regards,

Ed

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Vince;

If you don't have the new driver, I strongly recommend getting it. It does make a noticeable improvement in the bass.

Chip E

Screenwriter

No problem with the old 190 watt amp on the PC's driving the ISD ? Hmm, i might even go for this..

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Chip;

The old amp has *no* problem running the ISD at all. If it did, I don't think Ron S. and Tom V. would offer it as an upgrade option for those with an original PC or CS sub.

Go for it. You will not regret it.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
I second Jeff's recommendation (us Jeffs all stick together anyway). But it was (to my sloppy hearing) a noticable, positive difference...and easy, too. I've got the 25-31PC (serial number 16)

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Hey Vince,

If you decide to upgrade your driver and want to get rid of the old one for the SVS trade in price(don't know if they still offer the trade in), I'll take it off your hands.

Frank

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Vince, as you can see there is a market for the old driver...
I too rec. Robert's tutorial for replacing the driver (nice job Bill!). I was nervious about making the switch, until I saw Robert's pics and saw how simple it was. Again, another great bang for the buck for the SVS guys!

Ron

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Even I managed it in about 15 minutes, and I'm about as unhandy as they come. The difference on my 16-46PC was enormous, and in fact one of the better tweaks I've ever done (sorry you missed out on the rebate, but it's still worthwhile).

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
So new driver is $129- what was the rebate amount for the old driver (or the going used price)?

Is there also a port change in the newer models, or the same single top port? It looks like newer models have gone to a triple ported design-- is there a big difference, an ability to change, or would it be better to just sell the old 25-31 and buy a newer version?

-Vince

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
SVS was offering $40 for the old driver but you had to pay shipping to SVS. To save on shipping, people were selling them here for $40 and had the buyer pay shipping. This way there's was no out of pocket expense and they got their $40.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Vince:

The current PCi models use the ISD, the 320 watt Indigo BASH amp, and the carry-over single 4" flared port.

The PC+ uses the TC Sounds dB12 "Plus" driver, a 525 watt version of the Indigo BASH amp with infinitely variable phase (0-180), a 4 position SS filter (25,20,16,12), 1.5" thick birch endcaps, and triple 3" flared vents that can be tuned by the user with the supplied port plugs.

For a given enclosure size, the PC+ outpeforms the PCi by upwards of 5-6 dB in clean maximum output below 30 Hz. Above 30 Hz, it's more like a 3 dB advantage for the Plus. That kind of performance increase is remarkable considering the modest premium over the PCi.

Regardless, considering you would have to upgrade both the amp and the driver to get an equivalent current PCi, you might very well be better off selling your original PC and upgrading to a new unit (PCi or PC+) entirely.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks