What's new

SVS Planning Full Range Speakers (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
How about a full THX-certified set-up. Then I don't have to pay Klipsch $10,000 for theirs when I upgrade to my dedicated movie room.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Ohhhh, this could be good.

I cannot wait to see some pictures!

I wonder if they are going to go for a more dynamic, alive sound like Klipsch, or a more subtle, refined sound like B&W or Paradigm.

Dome or horn!?

They could do ANYTHING.

Anyone know what sort of speakers the SVS guys like? Might be a clue...

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Ken,

Could do anything. Right-o.

And expect the capability and technology to ratchet up as you move up the package offerings down the road. I know about some stuff flowing into the R/D shop right now that would make you cry if you could lay hands on it today. The idea of kids in a candy store comes to mind.

Just at their shop two days ago and I looked in one storage closet and there was about 100 different high end tweeters and mid-ranges. And we never get one. Two. One to beat on till it self-destructs (I suppose that's a bit of a non-linear statement), the other to be nicer to and learn a bit more from.

Tom has indeed used all manner of Klipsch speakers in the past but for some time he's had some rather impressive 6' tall ribbons with SVS bass modules all snugged together, you know the sort of thing you run if you are running an R/D operation ;^)

In the last few years I've had Polks, JBL, Warfedale, Harmon Kardon, Swan, Sony, Bose (shudder... they make good powered bookshelf speakers you know) hell even those "Optimus" open tweater speakers that Tom Nousaine loved so much a while back come thru my various systems. At the moment I've got the well-regarded Ascend CBM-170's in one HT too. Great affordable stuff all of it.

So you can bet we take quite seriously the fact that the market is simply polluted with perfectly adequate main speakers. It's a much thicker product pool than the one populated by good affordable subwoofers to be sure.

Ron

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
This just in:

SVS just placed a order a few thousand of these drivers:

6.5" midrange

AND

Tweeter

This is going to be good!!!

Now that I have said libilling things about your company, you are so right. There is SOO much on the market. Most of it 'good', very little bad (for stuff that is trying to compete), very little excellent. You have a hard mission, and I know you can suceed!

You HAVE to give us a hint soon, maybe something small, but ANYTHING! For all I know, you could be testing the final products in your home, or you could be sitting infront of AutoCAD with a blank stare on your face.

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
SVS just placed a order a few thousand of these drivers:

6.5" midrange AND Tweeter

This is going to be good!!!

Industrial espionage rears its ugly head again? :D

ChrisBee

Allen_N

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

Any chance of you all doing in-wall and in-ceiling speakers for us side/rear wall challeneged people? :D

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Allen:

Having in-wall or in-ceiling speakers means you hate freedom :D

I doubt it, as I do not picture these products being small or subtle in any way.

Allen_N

Stunt Coordinator
But now I have the freedom to walk from my living room to my kitchen without going around a wall ;)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Don't rule out cones!!! :D

I hope either horns, or very hi-end dome (or dome-like) tweeters.

I would guess domes just because people would not complain about them having horns.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Me want domes. Not a big fan of horns. Don't know enough about ribbons. Be nice if they could push break up to beyond 22 kHz if it's a metal dome.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
Ron/Tom....any hints/updates for February? Any guess as to which quarter SV Sound may debut? :)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Chuck,

We can't say for sure yet except that this train is indeed moving.

All Directorates have their marching orders but till we make a bit more progress in several areas we can't be more specific on dates. It's not a "we know but we can't tell" thing. We just don't know yet, too much work remains.

Unless something gets in the way however you should at least be able to count on another brand of main speaker under your Christmas tree though.

If we're fairly certain to be ready by a certain time you can bet we'll not be shy about announcing what we can.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks