What's new

SVS high level connection versus low level (1 Viewer)

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

New member, first post. Great forum. :)

I have a PCi 16-46 :b on order to replace my two big home-built passive coupled cavity subwoofers.

I am primarily interested in music and watch films on satellite TV and VHS with stereo sound.
Rather than investing in DVD & multi-channel AV I'd like to maximise my music listening pleasure for the moment. Though no doubt the arrival of the big SVS will quickly have me window-shopping for a DVD player. (I'm looking already! :D)

But enough about me:

Q: Is there a loss of sound quality if the high level (filtered) connections are used on an active SVS? Or should every effort be made to use a low-level connection? I'm using floorstanders with a 40Hz roll-off point with a British pre/power stereo amp. But with no low level connections.
I can only obtain low level connections if I invest in a dedicated power supply by the same manufacturer at high cost. Is anybody using an SVS with high level connections who can advise me on how it sounds on music please?

Thanks
Chris Bee

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
The high level inputs are very, very sensitive on the gain knob and making fine adjustments can be tedious. Also, the subwoofer has a 1st order highpass @ 90Hz, and that *might* affect the sound. I hadn't heard any effects. "Audiophiles" will. :D

Also, it doesn't help much with small bookshelfs (that is, removing the bass content).

Get a good surround processor. You can also have an EQ then and have even more fun...

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Rudi,

Forgive me, but I'd rather keep it (very) simple for the moment. Music & stereo sound on films is the real priority until (if) funds become available to get seriously into multi-channel AV. I'd hate to lose sound quality just to get "surrounded" in speakers. :)
Besides, my sloping ceiling, attic listening room really doesn't lend itself to multi-speaker set-ups. So it's still stereo sound for now. Which is why I asked about sound quality with the SVS built-in crossovers and filters. I guess that makes me an "Audiophile" or even worse a "Stereophile"? :D

Thanks
Chris Bee

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

I was joking a bit with the "audiophile" reference. A friend had my PB2+ in his system for a day, and he said that he didn't hear any sonical differences with the monitors. And he says that he hears big differences between different speaker cables and interconnects... ;)

So, while the high level connections will function just like they should, they won't give you the typical gain with a bass managed system: less stress with the main amplifier(s) (read: ability to play louder).

6 dB / octave highpass shouldn't be that much of a problem if you have big floorstanders.

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Rudi,

My understanding is that the high level connections in the PCi subs have an adjustable 6dB/octave passive crossover.
I had assumed that using this crossover at a suitable point (80-100Hz) would help to "unload" my speakers & stereo amp in the deep bass where most of the power is required. The SVS amp would then supply the grunt where it's most needed.
Normally one would avoid using a passive crossover at this sort of frequency because of the resistance of the large value components. Particularly the huge inductors required.
If, as you say, the low level connections offer much greater headroom I may just have to find a way to use them.

The SVS is going to be great fun whatever happens.

Thanks for the feedback.:)

ChrisBee

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks